The Fat Acceptance Movement, Haes, and Fat Shaming - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Here we go. Let's normalise more health conditions under the guise of the fight against stigmatisation. It always helps to throw some identity politics into the mix.

The one thing I think I agree with is the general body image propagated by the media is an absurd standard of beauty, especially for women but also (especially in recent years) for men. Men of my generation are extremely conscious of their looks. Like I said though, I think that women receive both the most misinformation about food and weight loss considering that all the previous literature used to be focused on men. So I understand the tendency here to want to completely disregard them for being wrong about so many things, but there are some things that influence the movement that are interesting and worth noting.

As for losing weight, technically, if you reduce food intake sufficiently you'll of course lose weight. Similarly, anorexics will put on weight if they eat a sufficient amount of food. People in both categories will tend to not manage or refuse to do so. I guess we are a bit more understanding of anorexics because they are considered to have a psychiatric disorder/disturbance in their body image.

Look, I just think that both sides should eat a healthy amount of food. Whether that means eating more food or it means eating enough food. I don't think that people should be discouraged from losing weight just because other people haven't developed habits that lead to healthy weight loss. The number one problem keeping you from losing weight usually isn't cheating, it's under representing to yourself what you're eating. A lot of people think it's their cheating on diets that get them, but it actually tends to be their lack of understanding in terms of just how much they are eating.

I tend not to blame individual fat people though just because I think there are a lot of social factors that go into why someone is fat. A lot of it has to do with parents and society. As soon as you can I think you need to take charge if you are overweight. It's just better for you. Especially since people are very cruel and make fun of fat people, which some fat people can take and laugh off.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:The one thing I think I agree with is the general body image propagated by the media is an absurd standard of beauty, especially for women but also (especially in recent years) for men. Men of my generation are extremely conscious of their looks. Like I said though, I think that women receive both the most misinformation about food and weight loss considering that all the previous literature used to be focused on men. So I understand the tendency here to want to completely disregard them for being wrong about so many things, but there are some things that influence the movement that are interesting and worth noting.

It's the usual conflation of separate issues. I think it's uncontroversial to say that being obese is unhealthy and that fact has nothing to do with stigmatisation. It is a health issue of epidemic proportions in the western world, not a social justice issue.

LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:Look, I just think that both sides should eat a healthy amount of food. Whether that means eating more food or it means eating enough food. I don't think that people should be discouraged from losing weight just because other people haven't developed habits that lead to healthy weight loss. The number one problem keeping you from losing weight usually isn't cheating, it's under representing to yourself what you're eating. A lot of people think it's their cheating on diets that get them, but it actually tends to be their lack of understanding in terms of just how much they are eating.

I tend not to blame individual fat people though just because I think there are a lot of social factors that go into why someone is fat. A lot of it has to do with parents and society. As soon as you can I think you need to take charge if you are overweight. It's just better for you. Especially since people are very cruel and make fun of fat people, which some fat people can take and laugh off.

I wouldn't want to discourage people from eating more/less either and encouraging people on an individual level is fine. However, as a matter of policy I suspect this will turn out to be of very limited use and efficacy. After all, it's not like this is a new idea and yet we are on average fatter than ever.

Care: 73 Fairness: 77 Liberty: 83 In-group: 70 Pur[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]