The appendix is a vital organ that should not be removed... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The appendix is the organ that regulates gut flora and bacteria, and it is an important organ vital to the strength of the human immune system. It is one of the major organs that affects susceptibility to infection. You need it.

I seriously think irresponsible medical practices and teachings based on the urban legend of it being "useless" has resulted in people that had the organ removed, dying younger from diseases and cancer, particularly those of the gut. And having that registered as "cause of death" with little research done into how having an appendix arbitrarily removed would have affected that situation.
The appendix is the organ that regulates gut flora and bacteria, and it is an important organ vital to the strength of the human immune system. It is one of the major organs that affects susceptibility to infection. You need it.

I seriously think irresponsible medical practices and teachings based on the urban legend of it being "useless" has resulted in people that had the organ removed, dying younger from diseases and cancer, particularly those of the gut. And having that registered as "cause of death" with little research done into how having an appendix arbitrarily removed would have affected that situation.

The medical profession used to remove people's tonsils too, on the grounds that tonsils are a 'useless' appendage. In fact, tonsils act as a barrier to disease and infection - getting tonsilitis is preferable to the alternatives. The basic problem here is the arrogance of so-called 'experts'. Because they didn't understand the function of the appendix or the function of the tonsils, they simply assumed that they could not have any function. Of course, it never crossed their minds that they just might not understand what that function is. After all, they are experts, who by definition know everything. The scientist Richard Feynman detested these self-proclaimed 'experts' who claim knowledge which they do not possess. When he was dying of cancer, he was lying in a coma in a hospital bed and his relatives at his bedside were being assured by an 'expert' that people in a coma are not aware of their surroundings. Feynman, still in his coma, then raised his arms and clasped his hands behind his head in a characteristic pose. He was making the point that he was aware of his surroundings and that this 'expert' was a fool. :lol:
To be fair when the thing is exploding inside of you causing tremendous pain and death then it probably needs to be removed regardless of it's utility.

I also wouldn't call it a "vital" organ per se. Important to health and well being to be sure but vital suggests you'll die without it which isn't true.
I was just going to say that we can only do the best that we can.

Before we had antibiotics powerful enough to hold off an appendicitis; or in cases where blockage is severe enough that antibiotics won't do the trick, the alternative is to just let the patient die a horrible death.

It's not exactly like the foreskin where people just have it removed for funsies.
mikema63 wrote:To be fair when the thing is exploding inside of you causing tremendous pain and death then it probably needs to be removed regardless of it's utility.

I also wouldn't call it a "vital" organ per se. Important to health and well being to be sure but vital suggests you'll die without it which isn't true.

The removal of the organ is linked to a shorted lifespan caused by increased susceptibility to infection and disease... Particularly gut related diseases and cancers.

So you won't die straight away upon removal, but you will significantly increase your risk of dying younger, much younger if your are particularly unlucky. Most people would correctly consider the organ "Vital to having a long healthy life".

I agree with the first paragraph, but just plain old removal should be considered a last resort. People are rarely informed of the long term consequences of removal. I would favour appendix transplants as opposed to simply just cutting it out. It can be removed as an emergency, and the patient then encouraged to opt for an Appendix transplant to keep their natural digestive and immune system intact. It should be encouraged to happen, but as it would require to be put on a wait list and secondary surgery, be an elective surgery.
I would favour appendix transplants as opposed to simply just cutting it out

Transplants have their own very serious long term risks. The immunosupresion and risk of rejection alone make removal a better long term option.

So you won't die straight away upon removal, but you will significantly increase your risk of dying younger, much younger if your are particularly unlucky. Most people would correctly consider the organ "Vital to having a long healthy life".

Depends on how you mean Vital I suppose. I generally consider any organ that you need for continuous survival as vital and organs that effect long term survival as non-vital. You can have your apendex cut out but not your heart, lungs, brain, etc.
Potemkin wrote:The medical profession used to remove people's tonsils too, on the grounds that tonsils are a 'useless' appendage. In fact, tonsils act as a barrier to disease and infection - getting tonsilitis is preferable to the alternatives. The basic problem here is the arrogance of so-called 'experts'. Because they didn't understand the function of the appendix or the function of the tonsils, they simply assumed that they could not have any function. Of course, it never crossed their minds that they just might not understand what that function is. After all, they are experts, who by definition know everything. The scientist Richard Feynman detested these self-proclaimed 'experts' who claim knowledge which they do not possess. When he was dying of cancer, he was lying in a coma in a hospital bed and his relatives at his bedside were being assured by an 'expert' that people in a coma are not aware of their surroundings. Feynman, still in his coma, then raised his arms and clasped his hands behind his head in a characteristic pose. He was making the point that he was aware of his surroundings and that this 'expert' was a fool. :lol:

It looks like arrogance, but there again they are not car mechanics nor TV repairmen the machines they profess to fix are not expendable to those who purchase their services. They need to sell confidence far more than a car mechanic or TV repairman does. Saying "I don't know" or "I am not sure" is awkward and does not sell confidence, yet the human body like pretty much any biological machine is considerably more complex than a car or a counter top, even today much remains unknown. Thus the temptation and the need to appear to be expert even where they are not.
I have had appendicitis and trust me, you aren't waiting around to have your appendix removed when you have it. You feel sick - like really sick, your blood starts to get poisoned and the pain in horrendous. I suppose it is better to keep it if you can, but I do have my doubts about the risks. I mean, I've read you can get cancer for burnt sausages for Christ sakes, but I'll still have a BBQ every so often.

As for gut problems, I haven't had any yet, but I might start taking those friendly bacteria supplements things just in case - to help in the future after reading this.
I am a firm believer in the less medical intrusion, the better. However, our bodies are amazingly resilient and can withstand most of our common medical barbarisms. Research must proceed as there is no other choice.
colliric wrote:The removal of the organ is linked to a shorted lifespan caused by increased susceptibility to infection and disease... Particularly gut related diseases and cancers.

Links to proper peer-reviewed science, or this is random guesses as to whether it has a significant function after all. What is the significant shortening of life expectancy? Plenty of people have their appendix removed, so it would be easy to get a proper sample for this.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:Links to proper peer-reviewed science, or this is random guesses as to whether it has a significant function after all. What is the significant shortening of life expectancy? Plenty of people have their appendix removed, so it would be easy to get a proper sample for this.

Ok... Starting with this one:
https://www.medpagetoday.com/cardiology ... tion/26804

Increased risk of complications resulting in Myocardial Infarction.... Heart attack.
Potemkin wrote:The medical profession used to remove people's tonsils too, on the grounds that tonsils are a 'useless' appendage. In fact, tonsils act as a barrier to disease and infection - getting tonsilitis is preferable to the alternatives. The basic problem here is the arrogance of so-called 'experts'. Because they didn't understand the function of the appendix or the function of the tonsils, they simply assumed that they could not have any function. Of course, it never crossed their minds that they just might not understand what that function is. After all, they are experts, who by definition know everything. The scientist Richard Feynman detested these self-proclaimed 'experts' who claim knowledge which they do not possess. When he was dying of cancer, he was lying in a coma in a hospital bed and his relatives at his bedside were being assured by an 'expert' that people in a coma are not aware of their surroundings. Feynman, still in his coma, then raised his arms and clasped his hands behind his head in a characteristic pose. He was making the point that he was aware of his surroundings and that this 'expert' was a fool. :lol:

My tonsils were removed when I was six years old. It appears to have worked for me, because I haven't had another case of tonsillitis. I am now 73 years old and have not missed the tonsils. I guess, my body must have adjusted.

Citation? There is no way that this story can be true, as people in comas are not aware of their surroundings and have no motor control. I would know. I'm an expert.
Oxymandias wrote:@Hindsite

Then of course you wouldn't have gotten sick. You were better of without your tonsillitis. But this does not mean it's a useless appendix that should be removed for everyone.

Maybe not, but in my case, I kept getting sick with tonsillitis, so taking them out worked for me. However, I don't know if it would work for other people.
Saeko wrote:Citation? There is no way that this story can be true, as people in comas are not aware of their surroundings and have no motor control. I would know. I'm an expert.

Nope this is totally incorrect. Other experts told me so very very recently....

It actually depends on how deep the coma is. In Cancer related deathbed Coma the patient basically is permanently sleeping and dreaming but still has some senses still alert and can still move in response to sounds like a normal sleeping human might. The doctor literally said this to me.

They literally said to me "he is still able to hear you and respond to you in much the same manner a person can hear things and respond to them while sleeping, he will hear you in his dream-state".

If you want a source, go to the Palliative Care unit at Wantina Health in south east Melbourne....

You are talking about a full coma of that "they are underneath for an extended period and have lost motor functions" coma not a "quickly slipping in their last few days because Cancer pulling them under" coma.

He obviously described a coma caused by cancer, where the person had not yet lost motor functioning or hearing.

You have some gaps in your learning. You are probably an expert at non-cancer caused coma.

Edit:
Anyway..... Citation:
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/hea ... ments/coma

Note how it specifically states the person will not wake up because of stimuli... Not that they have lost all awareness of it, in fact it states they will react to loud noises, etc. That stage that you seem to think is all comas full stop, is further described as "Vegetative State Coma".

Wishing to see the existence of a massively nucl[…]

As long as settler colonialism is a thing, October[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Speculation is boring and useless. Speculation is,[…]

I was reading St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain […]