Study: Women Now Leaving STEM Fields To Pursue ‘Social Justice’ Degrees - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
SolarCross wrote:It's a craft rather than a science, i'd file it under T for technology or M for Math rather than S for Science. I actually think the STEM acronym is a little wonky as it has a redundancy in Technology and Engineering. Perhaps it should including Business, another craft which includes accountancy as well? BEMS?

Well, I can see why they categorize it as a science. It's not straight Math. There is a lot of theory involved in Accounting, believe it or not. A lot of it is about method and technicalities and nuances.

Accounting used to be manual so it hasn't been about technology until fairly recently. Some companies still haven't fully computerized their accounting system. Even where I work, the data isn't saved to the cloud and there are still paper copies in file cabinets. Major companies can afford huge servers but smaller companies cannot so they don't spend on cloud storage.

Here's a link that explains it better. https://bizfluent.com/how-does-4682007- ... ience.html

The Controller is the one that runs the reports and records the info in the financial statements.
I think these girls are forced to drop out of engineering courses and switch to earlier non-scientific fields because they cannot meet course requirements to graduate, rather than being motivated by helping others. Rulifson et al. should have looked into their grades.

ABSTRACT
Engineering should include concern for people, communities, and societal welfare at the heart of the profession. Focusing on these helping attributes of engineering may help draw individuals, particularly women, into the field. However, are prosocially motivated individuals leaving engineering during college due to the lack of social responsibility (SR) typically portrayed in their education? Understanding more about students’ reasons for leaving in relation to perceived social responsibilities through their careers can help fill this literature gap. Thirty-four students initially majoring in engineering participated in a qualitative study of SR in engineering. Among this cohort, 7 of 14 women motivated to help people/society through engineering left, compared with 0 of 7 whose professional motivations were less related to social impact goals. Three rounds of hour-long interviews with nine students who left engineering explored reasons for leaving, if/how their personal SR impacted their decision, and social impact opportunities they envisioned through their new potential career path. The interviews show professional prosocial desires are motivation to leave combined with unsupportive environments, decontextualized technical courses, and curricular difficulty. These results provide insights for those trying to: understand why talented students choose to leave engineering, and create a more responsible and caring engineering profession.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 17.1397159
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 08 Mar 2018 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Sounds like the 34 students they followed were ones that stayed in university/college, be it in Engineering or some other field. Of those 34, 7 left Engineering for fields of Social Responsibility. Since they stuck around for four years I suspect their grades cannot be horrible, though too poor for Engineering but good enough for SR-majors might be possible.

Why, though, don't they crunch the numbers for their whole university population? How many people entered majoring in Engineering and how many of them switched to a SR field? -and how many to other fields? Whats the break down by gender? by grade? by year of drop out?

From the abstract, I don't see where it says all 34 were women. I read it as of those 34 Engineering students, 14 were women. If so, that's a remarkably high ratio, even after 7 left.

Is the full journal article available anywhere?

If Progressives have changed the Democrat Party[…]

So you have no proof then, @QatzelOk , just whini[…]

Why do the Latin Americans ignore completely race[…]

This is largely history repeating itself . Similar[…]