Obese America - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Ter
SSDR wrote:@Ter, Well, if one works 10 hours a day, uses two hours of transportation, and sleeps for six to eight hours, then there is like four to six hours left. That's plenty of time to make food from scratch. And what food do you have to make from scratch that is so complicated and expensive? Do people like to eat like wealthy kings every day?

You are undermining your own argument.
Those few hours discretionary free time left are used for everything else, like family time, shopping, cleaning the house, doing dishes, and so on. Cooking should fit in there as well.
The temptation to buy and eat ready-made food is strong in those circumstances.

Let me add to that : most young people do not know how to cook even simple meals.
By SSDR
@Ter, Shopping? Who shops every day? Family is oppressive, I don't believe in family. And doing dishes only takes 20 to 30 minutes. Americans love to fit as much as possible in one day, hence many Americans tend to live complex lives that are stressful and fast paced. And cooking is easy, unless if you have greedy standards. If one nowadays doesn't know how to cook, they can look online!
By Godstud
@SSDR You seem to be speaking from a position of ignorance. Where are you posting from? You seem to be very critical of Americans, and yet obesity is becoming a worldwide problem, in modern countries.
By Ter
SSDR wrote:Family is oppressive, I don't believe in family.

That is an interesting position.
In what do you believe then ? Individualism? Please elucidate.

SSDR wrote: And cooking is easy

Yes but it takes time. And time is what many people do not have in abundance.
By MistyTiger
@SSDR If your family is oppressive, then you have one of the worst families in the world. A good family should be caring and supportive.

Cooking is not easy. Burning stuff is easy. It's about the right temperature, the right timing, the right ingredients and practice.
By Godstud
Dietary education is incredibly important in preventing obesity, and it is mostly lacking. It takes time and effort to regulate diet. The amount of shitty food out there, is staggering in it's abundance.

For decades we've been taught what to eat and how much to eat, mostly regulated by what the corporations want to "sell". It's been regulated by capitalism, and not by any societal health plan.

Milk? North Americans drink it in abundance, and yet it's completely unnecessary in a good diet. Why is that" The Dairy industry.
By Stormsmith
Cooking is not easy. Burning stuff is easy. It's about the right temperature, the right timing, the right ingredients and practice.

Cooking is boring, hence the burning.
By Godstud
Obesity reduces life expectancy by 5 to 20 years. :hmm:
By One Degree
Just stay skinny enough to cut your own toenails and you will be fine. :)
By Rancid
Another thing that will undermine the effort to fight Obesity is this ridiculous "Body positive" activism shit. Basically, you have MORBIDLY OBESE fatties like Tess Holiday, showing up on the cover of magazines saying it's ok to be obese...... . .

It is not ok to be obese. This is not something to be proud of. Just no... just no...
By Godstud
@Rancid I agree 100%. This "fat acceptance" trend makes me sick. Being overweight is unhealthy, unattractive and something we should not be 'accepting'.

Sure, being fat doesn't make you a bad person, but it does make an unattractive, and unhealthy one. I've had personal experience being fat for a number of years.

Granted some people normally carry a little more fat on them than others and look fine, but that's not morbid obesity.

The popularity of plus-size models is a bad trend. Tess Holliday is obese. There's nothing attractive or empowering about that.
By Godstud
That's fine if you find fat people attractive. Attractiveness is indeed subjective.

They are not, however, healthy, and that's not subjective. It's also something we should not be encouraging, or "accepting".
By SSDR
@Ter, I don't believe in anything. I realize things. I don't want to change the topic of this forum. But everyone should (in my eyes) live their own destinies. People are being held back to reach the stars. Some stay down to the earth, while others reach for the stars. People are being held back to reach the stars because if they reach the stars, then the rich will lose their wealth, and everyone will be liberated through the proper sense of reality.
By SSDR
@Godstud, I do agree with you. Obesity is not healthy. And it should not be encouraged at all for multiple reasons. One reason is that it wastes food. Another is that it's not healthy. And another is that obese people are not as fit for labour or military, so they are not as useful to society as people who aren't obese.

I think when people talk about "accepting" obesity, what I think that they really mean is that obese people should not be made fun of, mocked, harassed for being obese, or rejected by other people.

@ingliz We have different parts of genetics b[…]

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]

If the Brits ever come to their senses, that will[…]

Not much, commercial real estate is boom or bust.[…]