Why do you think teenagers appearance and sexual orientation is leading to self harm? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
[center-img]http://i67.tinypic.com/2yozbk2.jpg[/center-img]

Why do you think teenagers appearance and sexual orientation is leading to self harm?
What can society and parents do to mitigate the problem?

Nearly a quarter of girls aged 14 said they had self harmed in a 12-month period, according to a new report by The Children’s Society.

One in six (16%) of more than 11,000 children surveyed reported self-harming at this age, including nearly one in 10 boys (9%).

“I felt like self-harming was what I wanted to do and had to do as there was nothing else I could do,” one child told the charity who produce the annual Good Childhood Report, examining the state of children’s wellbeing in the UK.

The anonymous child said: “Feeling not pretty enough or good enough as other girls did contribute towards my self-harming, however, I don’t feel just being a girl is the reason as I think boys feel the same way too”.

Almost half of 14-year-olds who said they had been attracted to people of the same gender or both genders said they had self-harmed (46%). Four in 10 of these children had shown signs of depression (38%) and three in 10 had low wellbeing (30%) - both compared with one in 10 of all children.

“It is deeply worrying that so many children are unhappy to the extent that they are self-harming,” said Matthew Reed, chief executive at The Children’s Society. “Worries about how they look are a big issue, especially for girls, but this report shows other factors such as how they feel about their sexuality and gender stereotypes may be linked to their unhappiness.”

The survey of 10- to 17-year-old children and their parents across 2,000 households, found children were least happy with school and their appearance.

Nearly a quarter (24%) said they heard jokes or comments about other people’s bodies or looks all of the time at school, while more than a fifth (22%) of those in secondary school said jokes or comments were often made about people’s sexual activity.

Both made girls feel much worse about their appearance and less happy with their life as a whole, but this pattern did not apply to boys.

The research also suggests both boys and girls can be harmed by gender stereotypes and pressure to live up to these expectations. Children felt under pressure from friends to be “good looking” but those who felt boys should be tough and girls should have nice clothes were least happy with life.

It’s vital that children’s wellbeing is taken more seriously and that much more is done to tackle the root causes of their unhappiness and support their mental health."
Matthew Reed, chief executive at The Children’s Society
The report suggests that happiness with family relationships could be the best protection for children because it has the biggest positive influence on their overall wellbeing.

Analysing what can be taken away from the findings, the charity said early intervention is absolutely crucial if we want to tackle the feelings of low mood experienced by so many teenagers. “It’s vital that children’s wellbeing is taken more seriously and that much more is done to tackle the root causes of their unhappiness and support their mental health,” said Reed.

“Schools can play an important part in this and that is why we want the Government to make it a requirement for all secondary schools to offer access to a counsellor, regularly monitor children’s wellbeing and have their mental health provision assessed as part of Ofsted inspections.”

Reed added that ministers must “urgently address” the £2bn funding shortfall facing council children’s services departments by 2020.

Responding to report, Dr Max Davie, officer for health promotion for the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) said these latest figures highlight just how urgent the need for appropriate action is.

“We know that poor mental health can lead to poor employment prospects and an increased risk of drug and alcohol use,” says Davie. “So it is important that support is fully inclusive, joined up and offered to children and young people early to give them the best possible chance in later life.

“To ensure the best possible outcomes, several teams including primary care, local authority and child health services must collaborate to support all children no matter how they enter the mental health system.”

Barnardo’s chief executive, Javed Khan said the report supports his view that we are “sleepwalking into a mental health crisis” with too little being done too late to help vulnerable children. “It’s truly devastating that so many children are so unhappy with their lives that they are self-harming,” he said. “This is often an expression of a deeper problem, which is why early intervention is vital.”

Khan said it is unacceptable that three in four children with a diagnosable mental health condition do not get access to the support they need and the average waiting time for CAMHS services in England is six months for a first appointment and 10 months until the start of treatment, arguing that early intervention as well as more support is desperately needed.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 2f471c56b7
Why do you think teenagers appearance and sexual orientation is leading to self harm?

For girls it's probably because they know they're judged on how they look. But this report is nowt new, this has always been a thing since I've been a thing and boys have been included in this thing since I've become a grown-up. Things like anorexia, bulimia and self-harm aren't new.

Sexual orientation stuff is probably because it's pushed on kids now, all this gender ideology bullshit that to me is boring AF (as the kids might say).

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (worl[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to fi[…]

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2024/04/18/ron-des[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]