Work Sucks - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By jimjam
Finally, proof of what many of us have known for years ….. work sucks.

Between 2011 and 2012, the polling company Gallup conducted the most detailed study ever carried out of how people feel about the thing we spend most of our waking lives doing – our paid work. They found that 13% of people say they are “engaged” in their work – they find it meaningful and look forward to it. Some 63% say they are “not engaged”, which is defined as “sleepwalking through their workday”. And 24% are “actively disengaged”: they hate it.

It turns out if you have no control over your work, you are far more likely to become stressed – and, crucially, depressed. Humans have an innate need to feel that what we are doing, day-to-day, is meaningful. When you are controlled, you can’t create meaning out of your work.

Long story short ….. doctors and drug companies have long been treating depression as a chemical imbalance that can be cured/alleviated with a pill/drug. This is true but, it seems, hardly the whole picture.

Drug companies – who fund almost all the research into these drugs – were taking this approach to studying chemical antidepressants. They would fund huge numbers of studies, throw away all the ones that suggested the drugs had very limited effects, and then only release the ones that showed success. To give one example: in one trial, the drug was given to 245 patients, but the drug company published the results for only 27 of them. Those 27 patients happened to be the ones the drug seemed to work for.

In many situations depression is caused by depressing situations that people feel themselves trapped in and can be alleviated by life style changes. These situations vary. Being alone and friendless or, possibly the most common, being stuck in a shitty job so that room and food may be purchased. Frequently a change in life situations would better alleviate depression than a change in brain chemistry.
By One Degree
Personally, I believe most of us are capable of controlling our own chemical balance. We use drugs when we fail to do so. That failure may be due to physical reasons or simply not understanding you may choose how you feel. Our expectations not being met creates dissatisfaction, but we are quite capable of simply changing our expectations.

Perhaps a failure to delay gratification is the cause of a lot of dissatisfaction. I did not enjoy going to school, but I understood it was something that needed done. If it needs done, then we should understand it makes no sense to be unhappy about it. It simply is. This allowed me to be unsatisfied with a current job without being depressed by it.

Change what you can, accept what you can’t.
By Rancid
Most people on the planet do not do work they really want to do. It's no surprise most people hate their jobs or are not satisfied.

That said, is it at all possible to have a society where everyone is doing exactly what they want to do?
By Stormsmith
Excercise, even if it's a nice walk, can be very helpful. Tricky in the winter, when God turns on the hose every hour or so.
By Wellsy
Whilst one’s perception can manage their feelings towards things, feelings don’t originste strictly within a person but in relation to their activity.

And I am suspicious of the western buddhist interest which seems to be framed in these terms of learning to live with increasingly unstable and insecure lives.
Those who dismiss this reality detract from the actuality of people’s existence. And in the extreme and unchairtable framing of them are as based as the woman who wrote The Secret.
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/works/politics-fear.htm
When we talk about insecurity today, then this insecurity is particularly tied up with the decline of all sorts of safety net apart from a bank account. Family, the welfare state and other voluntary organisations such as churches and trade unions, used to provide a kind of security which is no longer there. With some good reason, people feel that the only security they have, as an individual, is the security that they can buy.

This is somewhat different from, for example, the post-war decades, when welfare systems, family, unions and churches were there to catch you if you fell over. The other side of this “communitarianism” was a somewhat oppressive atmosphere of conformism. Accordingly, in the 1950s the kind of threats which the Right wing mobilised around — MacCarthyism for example — were presented as threats to the entire community. People relied on the community for their support and threats to it (however spurious) were cause for outrage. The effect of such scare campaigns was to reinforce this conformism.

During the 70s and 80s, most of the scare campaigns were centred around industrialism, the end of the post-war boom and newly growing economic instability. People took opposite positions on this new situation, some mobilising against the threats posed by industrialism, some mobilising against threats to on-going economic growth and expansion.

Today people tend to get alarmed about threats to them personally, or their children. People get afraid of new diseases, food additives, violent attacks by foreigners, sexual predators, and so on, while the very fabric of society which could keep them safe is being withered away. These individualised threats have the effect of further accentuating the isolation and fragmentation of society, reinforcing the very forces which generate this kind of anxiety. This is a general rule. Just like a society’s vision of the good reinforces the kind of society that it is, a society’s perception of what is dangerous is not only normative (people who do not respond to the same threats in the same way are seen as deviant), but act to reinforce the dominant ethos and sustain existing forms of domination.

http://www.lacan.com/freedom.htm
We are here at the very nerve center of the liberal ideology: the freedom of choice, grounded in the notion of the "psychological" subject endowed which propensities s/he strives to realize. And this especially holds today, in the era of what sociologists like Ulrich Beck call "risk society," 3 when the ruling ideology endeavors to sell us the very insecurity caused by the dismantling of the Welfare State as the opportunity for new freedoms: you have to change jobs every year, relying on short-term contracts instead of a long-term stable appointment. Why not see it as the liberation from the constraints of a fixed job, as the chance to reinvent yourself again and again, to become aware of and realize hidden potentials of your personality? You can no longer rely on the standard health insurance and retirement plan, so that you have to opt for additional coverage for which you have to pay? Why not perceive it as an additional opportunity to choose: either better life now or long-term security? And if this predicament causes you anxiety, the postmodern or "second modernity" ideologist will immediately accuse you of being unable to assume full freedom, of the "escape from freedom," of the immature sticking to old stable forms... Even better, when this is inscribed into the ideology of the subject as the psychological individual pregnant with natural abilities and tendencies, then it's as if I were to automatically interpret all these changes as the results of my personality, not as the result of me being thrown around by the market forces.
In a way, liberalism is here even the worst of the three, since it NATURALIZES the reasons for obedience into the subject's internal psychological structure. So the paradox is that "liberal" subjects are in a way those least free: they change the very opinion/perception of themselves, accepting what was IMPOSED on them as originating in their "nature" - they are even no longer AWARE of their subordination.

This not even getting at labor as the essence of humanity and its function under capitalism being one of various kinda of alienation. Where one isn’t the agent as much as the object of production, of bureaucratic rules and so on. Something which is also typically resuce to being a purely paychological matter.
By Rancid
Stormsmith wrote:Excercise, even if it's a nice walk, can be very helpful. Tricky in the winter, when God turns on the hose every hour or so.

Walking is wonderful. I do 2-3 walks a day at the office. I call them my "sanity walks". It gets blood flowing to the brain. Makes you happier and more productive.
By One Degree
Wellsy wrote:Whilst one’s perception can manage their feelings towards things, feelings don’t originste strictly within a person but in relation to their activity.

And I am suspicious of the western buddhist interest which seems to be framed in these terms of learning to live with increasingly unstable and insecure lives.
Those who dismiss this reality detract from the actuality of people’s existence. And in the extreme and unchairtable framing of them are as based as the woman who wrote The Secret.
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/works/politics-fear.htm

http://www.lacan.com/freedom.htm

This not even getting at labor as the essence of humanity and its function under capitalism being one of various kinda of alienation. Where one isn’t the agent as much as the object of production, of bureaucratic rules and so on. Something which is also typically resuce to being a purely paychological matter.

I disagree. Feelings do indeed exist by the will of the individual. You can not force me to feel anyway I don’t want to. We, each, choose how we react to actions. The actions themselves determine nothing. This is why we have people who forgive the killers of their children and those who won’t let anything stop them from killing the killers. If the actions dictated the feelings, then the feelings would be consistent.
I agree loss of community is harmful, but loss of government institutions is not. They were always fragile and only offered false security. The security of a community is not in what it provides, but in the ‘common cause’. Large centralized government can not provide this. Social Security is an example. We have been told for 50 years it is going bankrupt and will not be there for us, despite the fact it actually has been. We get no security from this unless we choose to.
To believe you can give people security by what you give them materially is to disregard our humanity. I am sure a close knit tribe in the Amazon feels more secure than we do unless they fear us.
By Pants-of-dog
In a post scarcity society, we could all do what we wanted instead of doing work we do not enjoy.

Having said that, I have been very lucky to find jobs that are meaningful and keep me engaged.
By Rancid
Pants-of-dog wrote:In a post scarcity society, we could all do what we wanted instead of doing work we do not enjoy.

What changes, either technologically, culturally, society, etc. etc. do you think would be needed to get to a post scarcity society?
By Pants-of-dog
Rancid wrote:What changes, either technologically, culturally, society, etc. etc. do you think would be needed to get to a post scarcity society?

There would have to be many.

Chief among them would be automation of most industries, and a switch to entirely renewable resources.

There would also require social changes, like the abandonment of Calvinist principles of work, and a move towards paying people to do nothing.
By One Degree
One criterion would be replicators for everyone. :)
By Rancid
One Degree wrote:One criterion would be replicators for everyone. :)

What about fembots? :excited: :excited: :excited:
By One Degree
Rancid wrote:What about fembots? :excited: :excited: :excited:

Yes, the replicators would need to produce anything you wanted if it was indeed a post scarcity world. :)
By MistyTiger
From my limited experience, the ones who say work sucks are typically the ones who find fault with anything and anyone. Work life cannot be 100% ideal and optimal. The key to coping is accepting the stress and inconveniences that pop up at work.

I have been through a dozen jobs or so and met hundreds of people, most of whom were bitches, bastards or backstabbers. I worked in different industries and I can see the major differences.

If you cannot be grateful for what you have, you are going to live miserably.

I now feel like I found a much better workplace. It is not perfect. I want a promotion and more pay. But, the people are kind to me and I like being around them. I do not feel like they will gang up on me or get me fired. I feel good vibes from them. My manager adores me and the bosses like me. Work life is very good.
By foxdemon
Pants-of-dog wrote:There would have to be many.

Chief among them would be automation of most industries, and a switch to entirely renewable resources.

There would also require social changes, like the abandonment of Calvinist principles of work, and a move towards paying people to do nothing.

Ok, so an AI run automated world. But why bother keeping the humans? Wouldn’t it be more efficient to simply eradicate them?
By XogGyux
I love my work. Find something you like and are good at it and you won't have to "work" in your life ever again. :lol:

Personally, I believe most of us are capable of controlling our own chemical balance. We use drugs when we fail to do so. That failure may be due to physical reasons or simply not understanding you may choose how you feel. Our expectations not being met creates dissatisfaction, but we are quite capable of simply changing our expectations.

Like usual you are wrong. If you are depressed is because you "choose" to be, if you have anxiety "is because you choose it too" if you have bipolar is "because you choose to be". Do you ever get tired of talking shit about stuff you don't know?
By One Degree
XogGyux wrote:I love my work. Find something you like and are good at it and you won't have to "work" in your life ever again. :lol:

Like usual you are wrong. If you are depressed is because you "choose" to be, if you have anxiety "is because you choose it too" if you have bipolar is "because you choose to be". Do you ever get tired of talking shit about stuff you don't know?

Is it a genetic disability in Liberals that prevents them from honestly addressing posts? I clearly stated the reality of physical causes.
By XogGyux
One Degree wrote:Is it a genetic disability in Liberals that prevents them from honestly addressing posts? I clearly stated the reality of physical causes.

Where is that gene? Can you cite the paper or study that identified such gene?
By One Degree
XogGyux wrote:Where is that gene? Can you cite the paper or study that identified such gene?

Are you drinking tonight or just really tired? Your comprehension seems non existent.
By XogGyux
One Degree wrote:Are you drinking tonight or just really tired? Your comprehension seems non existent.

I don't drink at all. I value my neurons very very much.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The fact that hospital staff had to bury many peop[…]

@FiveofSwords " Franz [B]oas " Are[…]

^ Zionists pretending to care about indigenous any[…]

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/178385974554[…]