What should parents teach their kids. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
A little discussion we've been having me and Lina recently, so I thought why not see everyone's opinion on this manner. (Not personal)

Cutting straight to the point, two topics with similar foundations; First, do you think parents should teach their children on everything from Alcohol, smoking, weed, etc?

Personally, I think once at the right age (13-14), I'll let the kids try weed for the first time, light blonde weed doesn't make anyone high and it's calming to smoke; And it's better that they first learn about it and how to smoke responsibly from me rather than from some other kid in school or online or wherever.

The same goes for smoking and alcohol; When it comes to Alcohol, Lina's family usually start letting kids taste wine (Sweet wine) and start getting used to it around 8 or 9 years old, this way there can be full parents' presence to ensure safety.

What're your opinion on the matter? Both in regards to which practices should parents teach their children and at what age.

On the other hand, the topic of ideology, religion, beliefs, etc.
This is where we disagree; In one hand, I'm more of the view that kids should be taught to think critically and adopt basic values, but not be exposed to any type of religious or ideological items until they're of sound mind. On the other hand, Lina is of the view that kids should learn to think critically and adopt various basic values, but they should also be integrated into the eastern orthodoxy from a young age.

Now, to be fair, though whatever middle point we reach is our concern and is not tied to anything here, the topic in general of what parents should teach their children and at what age is a good one to discuss.

Note:
I know it's poorly written, just focus on the main point. :D :p
I think children should learn about drugs and alcohol around the age of 5 or 6, or as soon as they can read and start to ask coherent questions. By the age of 6 or 7, I was already reading Tom Sawyer and watching movie adaptions of Oliver Twist and David Copperfield. Children are so curious. If I ever had kids, I would tell them early on about the dangers in life and how much they matter to me.

If they want to try wine, I would let them. My mom cooks with wine, but I never liked the smell.

Religion cannot be avoided. I would not make them go to church. But I would get them books to read on the various religions. I would have liked it if I had learned about Buddhism or eastern philosophy as a kid. It is part of my heritage. I did get exposed to greek and norse mythology funny enough, but it was not intentional. My parents encouraged me to read and I found the books from a book sale.

Other topics they should learn are history, chinese, geography, math, science and computer science. If they are not busy enough, then I introduce them to European and Asian literature.
With drugs and alcohol, I plan (and have already started to) tell them the truth. Further, I tell them that I expect them to behave reasonably and responsibly around them.

Weed in particular has been scientifically that it's more harmful to those that are under the age of about 21 (weed affects a developing/growing brain more than one that is fully developed already). I intend to say that I'm not going to forbid from say smoking weed, but that they really need to be responsible, and realize that it could make them dumber if they take it up as a habit. I'd urge them to delay the use of weed until they are in their early 20s if possible. Same thing with alcohol.

As for values and what not. yes, we will not push religion on them.
Children should be free and raise themselves. They are people of whom need to release their energy. Children should freely roam outside, walk and ride bikes kilometers far. Children should not be controlled by their parents. Children need to have sexual liberation and release when they reach puberty. No one should be forbidden to have sex for a much older age (18 years is OLD!).

Children should be free from religious rule. No child should be taught that they need religion to motivate them to be good, respectful people. Children should not be taught that they need money for happiness, or that money buys love. Children should be taught on to help others around them, and not take advantage of things or take things for granted. Children should be taught to be used, since humans use each other. Needing emotional nurturing for using each other promotes social slavery, which promotes social constructs and prevents the gaining of real consciousness.

However, children should be taught respect by influence, and force. Children should not commit any crime. And ALL RECREATIONAL DRUGS MUST BE BANNED.
SSDR wrote:Children should be free and raise themselves. They are people of whom need to release their energy. Children should freely roam outside, walk and ride bikes kilometers far. Children should not be controlled by their parents. Children need to have sexual liberation and release when they reach puberty. No one should be forbidden to have sex for a much older age (18 years is OLD!).

Children should be free from religious rule. No child should be taught that they need religion to motivate them to be good, respectful people. Children should not be taught that they need money for happiness, or that money buys love. Children should be taught on to help others around them, and not take advantage of things or take things for granted. Children should be taught to be used, since humans use each other. Needing emotional nurturing for using each other promotes social slavery, which promotes social constructs and prevents the gaining of real consciousness.

However, children should be taught respect by influence, and force. Children should not commit any crime. And ALL RECREATIONAL DRUGS MUST BE BANNED.

Are you a parent?
Rancid wrote:With drugs and alcohol, I plan (and have already started to) tell them the truth. Further, I tell them that I expect them to behave reasonably and responsibly around them.

Weed in particular has been scientifically that it's more harmful to those that are under the age of about 21 (weed affects a developing/growing brain more than one that is fully developed already). I intend to say that I'm not going to forbid from say smoking weed, but that they really need to be responsible, and realize that it could make them dumber if they take it up as a habit. I'd urge them to delay the use of weed until they are in their early 20s if possible. Same thing with alcohol.

As for values and what not. yes, we will not push religion on them.

The society is out there Rancid trying to influence the kids. That e-cigarette vaping stuff is an example. They have kiddie flavors like Mango, Watermelon, Cherry and Peach....it is addicting.

I tell them the weed is something that will be detrimental especially the edibles. In many states they don't even regulate the amount of cannabis or the strength or strain of cannabis in the edibles. So it is easy for the kids to overdose on them.

I just don't like drugs at all. I refrain from drugs in general. I just think don't get drunk in front of your children, don't smoke weed or smoke cigarettes in front of them. Don't eat a whole carton of ice cream or binge eat, don't be doing excessive things or immoderate behavior in front of them. It is not good.
Tainari88 wrote:I just think don't get drunk in front of your children, don't smoke cigarettes in front of them. Don't eat a whole carton of ice cream or binge eat, don't be doing excessive things or immoderate behavior in front of them. It is not good.

Those are some very Christian religious values......
SSDR wrote:Those are some very Christian religious values......

Those are sound values. Kids who are loved dearly by their parents and the kids who in turn admire and love their parents, will observe everything the parent says and does, and they learn enormous amounts from the parent. Parents have tremendous influence over their children SSDR. Especially the ones who love their kids a lot.

I don't want my kid smoking pot, smoking cigarettes, taking drugs and getting drunk as a skunk. Not good behavior. If you want your kids to learn good things from you then have good habits and refrain from stuff that will influence your children to do bad things that will harm their health or their learning and peace of mind.

They watch everything you do SSDR. Your every word and gesture, and every decision. Kids are very intelligent and know if you are a lying hypocrite with your value system or not.

I adore my children. I want them to do well in life. So I watch my behavior and try to influence them with polite behavior. I think you got to be careful how you behave around your children. That is just the best path.
I don't have kids, but I can tell you my mom smoked a lot of weed and popped pills in front of me, and my dad used to get drunk and yell at my mom (until he split), and I turned out alright.
► Show Spoiler
Here I am with the grandkids this Summer. There is a lot of love there in spite of the fact that I have smoked the devil's weed pretty much every evening for the past 50 years. I should donate my brain to science. Weed is similar to booze in that it can have a material effect on one's life depending on and varying with many changing situations. It can be beneficial or detrimental ………. sometimes to the extreme. It may decimate one person's life or enhance another's life depending on how it is used in relation to the mental awareness of the user. There is no one size fits all judgement. I would not let a kid use weed until he/she reaches an age of reason and understands the game. What is the age of reason? 21? 45? never? Once again …. no one size fits all. A judgement call. BUT it is a reality and one more of many things kids need to be educated about.

There is no one size fits all.

Ultimately I think it's dangerous to forbid your kids to ever do weed or alcohol (i.e. command them to not experiment with drugs). Again, the just grows the mystic around them, and thus, they will want to try them.

Data is showing that teen use of weed has dropped in all the states that have legalized it. Hence why my attitude is I will inform them how those things are really bad for developing/growing kids/teens, but I'm not going to out right say "NEVER DO THEM!" cause come on... How many of you obeyed your parents 100%? Instead, I will tell them that my expectation is that they behave reasonably and responsibly around that drugs in general.
I don't like drugs. I never have and never will. I had a nasty Aunt that when she smoked marijuana she would beat her kids up and act worse than usual. It brought out her bad side. I don't like alcoholism and all the pain it brings the people who care about the alcoholic person.

It is bad news. I used to be a medical case manager and all the high risk behavior is associated with constant drug use. I hate it. I won't lie. I don't like smokers, heavy drinkers, heroine addicts, crackheads, and every other person who can't work, can't study and can't be productive because their entire life is about their next fix.

The drug addicts I have had in my family were AWFUL. Lying, stealing, cheating, being disrespectful, violent and nasty. One wound up dead in a motel room at age 35 after running through his father's houses, properties, his mother's properties and being penniless and not being trusted by his fifty cousins and everyone else (I included) in his crazy behavior.

I told my older son don't smoke weed. Don't do it. Your bio mother smoked it during pregnancy along with slinging beers and smoking cigarettes and you could be very easy to hook in that addiction. Just avoid it altogether. He did not listen and started smoking weed, and he got a severe allergic reaction to the pot, and his kidneys started shutting down and the doctor said---you are severely allergic to weed, never smoke it or you will have a bad reaction and your kidneys will cease to function and you will need dialysis.

He now can't do it. Even if he wanted to. He is only 22. I told him, "Son, just don't do it. You were exposed to it in the womb and it made you premature and it is damaging to your brain. Don't do it. You don't know what it might do to you."But in Colorado it is legal and he did it.

He almost died. Had to be hospitalized. Not all people do well with marijuana. It is a hallucigenic drug.

I just hate all the shit with a passion. Too many wasted people who their entire damn life is consumed with drug abuse. It is awful.

I don't like the smell of weed, or cigarettes. They stink and I hate that smell. I hate when alcoholics vomit all over the place. And when they piss away their family's lives by spending it all on drinking and not paying needed bills like electricity and water and food for their kids. Saw too many of those here in Mexico and in the USA. They wind up getting divorced from their wives and their kids resent them their entire lives because they weren't able to support anyone really because all the money went to the beers, the cocktails and the hard liquor.
Crantag wrote:I don't have kids, but I can tell you my mom smoked a lot of weed and popped pills in front of me, and my dad used to get drunk and yell at my mom (until he split), and I turned out alright.
► Show Spoiler

You probably still were a bit hurt that he yelled at her when drunk and you worried about her when she popped pills.

No one is perfect Crantag. But I want my son to have a good and happy childhood. It lasts a very short time and as such? Enjoy it. Enjoy their sweet innocent ways and curious questions. Once they are teens and worry about how they fit in to the adult world? It won't be so easy.

I want my son to make good choices. Being addicted to anything is not fun. It never is.

It is a limit of personal freedom.

I don't want that. I want them and him in particular to be free to live his life as he would like to live.

Free of vices and bad habits dragging him down. I am so lucky to have him in my life. So lucky. I am older and have a bad medical condition. I don't know how long I can see him grow up. I want to be able to show him good things. Not vice and problems.

He is such an empathetic little boy. If he sees me cry he cries, if he sees me laughing he laughs. He wants to feel solidarity with my husband and I in everything. Incredibly empathetic child. He worries if I am hurt or if I am worried. Such a fine character he has. Loving and protective. I don't want him to suffer or be in pain. I know that is not realistic but that is how I feel about my boy. If I could take his pain away if he is in pain I would....but life is so unpredictable. I just want him to be free to choose his path and his life. But not have to suffer so many bad choices people make. Like being addicted to crappy drugs.
jimjam wrote:Here I am with the grandkids this Summer. There is a lot of love there in spite of the fact that I have smoked the devil's weed pretty much every evening for the past 50 years. I should donate my brain to science. Weed is similar to booze in that it can have a material effect on one's life depending on and varying with many changing situations. It can be beneficial or detrimental ………. sometimes to the extreme. It may decimate one person's life or enhance another's life depending on how it is used in relation to the mental awareness of the user. There is no one size fits all judgement. I would not let a kid use weed until he/she reaches an age of reason and understands the game. What is the age of reason? 21? 45? never? Once again …. no one size fits all. A judgement call. BUT it is a reality and one more of many things kids need to be educated about.

There is no one size fits all.

My father was born in 1933 and he grew up in the forties and fifties. He was a full grown adult man in the 1960's. He grew up partly in NYC like you...saw a lot of crime and drug problems in bad neighborhoods. He told me he experimented with drugs, and he never made it as something beyond any human understanding. He was very open and upfront about the discussion. Same with sex and so on. He talked very openly about all that with me and I think he always was open about his entire life.

He told me once I was grown and married....."You never were interested in any vices. Ever. That is just who you have always been. It is a good thing. I saw some family members I loved die of drug addiction. You never really forgive yourself for not being there for them. But there is little you can do for them if they don't save themselves."

My mother called me a goody-two-shoe kid. But she said it tongue in cheek. She knew I never liked any of that stuff. Neither were religious people and I was never sent to a church ever while growing up. I just did not like drugs or alcohol. I did not think it is needed to have fun or relax. You dance and chat and talk and socialize is what I was taught as a relaxing thing to do. So that is what I do.
Tainari88 wrote:Those are sound values.

That is your opinion.
Kids who are loved dearly by their parents and the kids who in turn admire and love their parents, will observe everything the parent says and does, and they learn enormous amounts from the parent.

If this is true then society would still be stuck in slavery. Children are the future. Children make the steps to the future's progress. If all parents had this mentality, we would be stuck in the stone ages.
Parents have tremendous influence over their children SSDR. Especially the ones who love their kids a lot.

Neither of my parents had any influence over me. No elder in my background influenced me.
I don't want my kid smoking pot,

I agree. Marijuana and other recreational drugs should be abolished.
smoking cigarettes, and getting drunk as a skunk.

I disagree. This is a very Christian stance. I had grand parents and great grand parents who were casual alcohol drinkers. I had older relatives who taught younger relatives to drink liquor and wine. In my opinion, there is nothing immoral about drinking liquor or wine, and smoking tobacco. It is not healthy, especially smoking. However, as long as one can control it, have fun with it, or can live with it, they can and should smoke and drink alcohol.
SSDR wrote:That is your opinion.

If this is true then society would still be stuck in slavery. Children are the future. Children make the steps to the future's progress. If all parents had this mentality, we would be stuck in the stone ages.

By saying that parents and children love each other they are stuck in the stone ages? What leap of logic is that? Lol.

Neither of my parents had any influence over me. No elder in my background influenced me.

I don't know who raised you SSDR. But my father and mother raised me along with my grandmother and other people who took care of me when I was a child. They had tremendous influence. The kind I love to this very day and am deeply grateful for. I love my family and my community who raised me. I don't know what your situation was like. I think family circumstances are different for all individuals. So I can't judge your situation or anyone else's. This thread is about what parents teach their kids. I want to teach my kids good things. But family is full of flawed people making mistakes. So? Nothing turns out ideal.

I agree. Marijuana and other recreational drugs should be abolished.

I don't think weed for some people is bad. I think it is quite a useful benevolent drug for some. Recreational use? I don't like weed. But others like it. I am not into banning to try to punish people who use it. That is not my trip. I think people got to make the choice to just lead their lives as they see best. Addiction though is tricky. Addicts don't see the problems and only are in altered states that are not fully logical most of the time. So? It is a hard situation. Trying to explain to a pregnant woman who is an addict to something that is harming her child? It is difficult. Got to take it case by case.

I disagree. This is a very Christian stance. I had grand parents and great grand parents who were casual alcohol drinkers. I had older relatives who taught younger relatives to drink liquor and wine. In my opinion, there is nothing immoral about drinking liquor or wine, and smoking tobacco. It is not healthy, especially smoking. However, as long as one can control it, have fun with it, or can live with it, they can and should smoke and drink alcohol.

I don't care about the opinion of religious hypocrites SSDR. Who run around banning sex and banning drugs in young people. Hiding their heads in the sand. But the truth is that if you take either one of those acts and distort it badly it has bad consequences. You can get HIV, you can get venereal diseases, syphillis and gonorrhea and many other things if you don't use protection. You can get liver scirrosis if you drink in excess. You can get emphyzema if you are a chain smoker.

I saw some ad about some kids (young ones) about five or six years old smoking cigarettes and drinking beers. They have campaign ads telling people it is not cool to offer beers to very young children. It is for a good reason. Early addiction has bad effects on kids.

You think this is cool?

It is bad for adults and worse for children. Imagine smoking since age of four or so? By the time you hit 30? You can get lung cancer. A shortened life. It is horrible.

This is ridiculous. Articles showing attacks on s[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is easy to tell the tunnel was made of pre fab […]

Pretty clear France will be taking a leading role […]

He is even less coherent than Alex Jones. My gu[…]