China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 12 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
WHO Declared a global health emergency.

This is fairly significant no matter how they try to dial back the rhetoric.

It was delayed on political grounds. The man who heads the WHO is a former Ethiopian health minister and his home country has a cosy relationship with Communist China. His statement was full of kind words about China and how it has coped with the global health emergency effectively. Russia has closed its border with China to pedestrian and vehicular traffic after the first coronavirus case emerged, while limited trains from Moscow still reach Beijing. I remember travelling to the UK during the SARS outbreak, which actually ended in July while I was studying in Cambridge. The college dorm was plastered with a health warning because there were some Chinese students.

SolarCross wrote:I expect it is correct that "all viruses" follow a sigmoid curve (well realistically a bell curve really) your assumption that we are in the "middle" of the curve is absolutely unsubstantiated and likely as premature as your ejaculations. It has only been a few weeks; the Spanish Flue which killed around 50 MILLION lasted nearly 3 years. JUST SAYING.

(dial back the smug shit eater pose, JUST SAYING)

Okay, so what part of it are we in? You also missed the part where i said that the better question is when are we going to top out meaning that i am not denying it has the potential to become much much worse what it is right now.
Saeko wrote:This comrade is delusional. Take him to the infirmary.

You will save us all Alice, even when the things will get really bad you will be the last bulwark of humanity against the Virus. (You are actually a clone of Rei but you will find it out later in the series)
JohnRawls wrote:This is not Ebola nor is mortality super high by most extreme standards. It is not even 10% right now. The current calculated average is 2.2% for China and 0 for the rest of the world. :roll:

When you can infect others with Ebola, you feel so sick that you'll just want to lie in bed. You don't feel like traveling. The nCov is so dangerous because it spreads even if you don't have symptoms.

The nCov spreads as easily as a common flu. In the US alone up to 50 million people catch the flu a year. With the nCov that would mean more than a million death and 10 millions in a critical condition, even if you set the death rate at 2%. Worldwide you would get tens of millions of deaths.

The Portuguese just announced that they won't force the citizens they are about to repatriate from Wuhan to stay in quarantine because the constitution doesn't allow it. It will be voluntary. Quite frankly, I didn't expect anything else. They'll never miss an opportunity to make a complete mess.
JohnRawls wrote:Okay, so what part of it are we in? You also missed the part where i said that the better question is when are we going to top out meaning that i am not denying it has the potential to become much much worse what it is right now.

I'll leave the best guesses on that to the experts, but my guess for what that is worth is just that it is too soon to say. Also what Atlantis said.

It may just fizzle out, most flus are annoying rather than deadly but the buggers are always mutating and sometimes (rarely) they come out roaring like the apocalypse leaving more mounds of corpses behind than a communist cult leader, like the aforementioned Spanish Flu of 1918.
The United States has banned anybody who had travelled to China and is not American:

The Guardian

----------

There is a call for resignation of Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

View and sign it here
Patrickov wrote:I detest this as an insult to dogs.

Demonizing and dehumanizing a certain ethnic group is the usual first step towards making their genocide acceptable enough to others to be carried out. Since you have in fact advocated as much in the past and yet actually are of that certain ethnic group.... Words cannot hardly express adequately the demented and loathsome mindset of such persons, words fail me...
annatar1914 wrote:Demonizing and dehumanizing a certain ethnic group is the usual first step towards making their genocide acceptable enough to others to be carried out. Since you have in fact advocated as much in the past and yet actually are of that certain ethnic group.... Words cannot hardly express adequately the demented and loathsome mindset of such persons, words fail me...

I indeed oppose the idea of denouncing any target of punishment as non-humans as well. As much as they are scums, they are still human beings, and it is probably closer to fact that they commit so many detestable behaviours because they are human rather than anything else.
In China, there are now almost 12,000 confirmed infections and nearly 18,000 suspected cases, with 260 deaths, and about the same number recovered. There are 15 cities with more than 100 infections.

The numbers abroad are still relatively low, but there are already infections in the 3rd or 4th generation of H2H transmission. Many cases abroad seem to be relatively mild. That may be because mostly younger people are affected. I have heard the death rate among the elderly could be as high as 18 to 20%, if the overall death rate is 2 to 3%, that would reduce the death rate for younger people to below 2%.

If it does spread abroad, Thailand is the most likely candidate. It's a favorite tourist destination for Chinese tourists, and the authorities probably won't be able to control the virus if there is an outbreak. There is the case of a taxi driver who got it from a passenger. It's reasonable to assume that he has passed it to other passengers, but the authorities aren't capable of tracking all contact persons.

Here is a comparison

SolarCross wrote:... leaving more mounds of corpses behind than a communist cult leader ...

As a matter of fact the nCov epidemic comes from a Communist regime, and incidentally this regime has a current cult leader.
SolarCross wrote:^ that is a very ominous graph. I wonder how it compares with the 1918 Spanish Flu. I suppose there are not good statistics for that?

It's nowhere near as bad as the Spanish Flu.

Wikipedia:
The global mortality rate from the 1918–1919 pandemic is not known, but an estimated 10% to 20% of those who were infected died. With about a third of the world population infected, this case-fatality ratio means 3% to 6% of the entire global population died. Influenza may have killed as many as 25 million people in its first 25 weeks. Older estimates say it killed 40–50 million people, while current estimates put the death toll at probably 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million. These estimates would correspond to three to five percent of Earth's human population at the time. This flu killed more people in 24 weeks than HIV/AIDS killed in 24 years.

Although the Spanish Flu if it broke out today would probably have been combated better with our current medical science, knowledge and technology. This coronavirus is killing at a rate of 2-3%.

This is worse than SARS and the Swine flu but it's nowhere near as bad as the Spanish Flu was. That was left to spread like wildfire during the first world war. Reporting of the Spanish Flu was covered up by literally every country except for Spain.
Some good information about the virus:

The BC Centre of Disease Control (BCCDC) wants to clear up “several misconceptions” being spread about coronavirus on social media.
Coronavirus is not something that people can get from casual contact. A person must be in close contact (within 2 metres) with somebody to be able to inhale those droplets if a person coughs or sneezes without cover, in front of them.

The droplets can fall to the ground after a sneeze and a person can touch them with their hands. The risk of transmission is low in this case, as those droplets must be of significant enough quantity to make it to the receptors in a person’s lungs.

If a person has touched something that has droplets on it with coronavirus in it, as long as they clean their hands before touching their face or your mouth, they are not at risk of getting that virus in their body.

Coronavirus is not something that comes in through the skin. This virus is remitted through large droplets that are breathed deep into a person’s lungs.

Regarding wearing masks – masks should be used by sick people to prevent transmission to other people. A mask will help keep a person’s droplets in.

It may be less effective to wear a mask in the community when a person is not sick themselves. Masks may give a person a false sense of security & are likely to increase the number of times a person will touch their own face – to adjust the mask, etc.

The most important thing that a person can do to prevent themselves from getting coronavirus is to wash their hands regularly and avoid touching their face.

Cover your mouth when you cough so you're not exposing other people. If you are sick yourself, stay away from others. Contact your health care provider ahead of time so you can be safely assessed.[/i]

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-cent ... PodUSfoaAo

I gave you a perfectly good definition actually, […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Forced conversion is not cultural assimilation in […]

Again, the only way one could assume that the prot[…]

Repetition, meditation, and labor

Automation and, to some extent, AI, supposedly lib[…]