The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 59 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15130309
Doug64 wrote:Incredible. We’re done.


So you are not going to comment on the studies that show that masks have a significant ability to reduce infection.

And since I have already dissected the studies cited by the anonymous conspiracy theory website, we can all see that your evidence does not support the claim that masks are ineffective at reducing the spread of the virus when worn by the infected person.

The evidence wins. Masks are not a panacea or a silver bullet, but they help.

Edit:

And there is yet more evidence that masks can help save lives:

Universal Mask Wearing Could Save Some 130,000 Lives In The U.S., Study Suggests


    Universal mask wearing in public could greatly reduce the number of Americans who die by COVID-19 by February, a study published Friday in the journal Nature Medicine projects.

    Researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation made estimates based on some assumptions under different scenarios.

    In what they describe as the worst-case scenario, they project that COVID-19 deaths could exceed a million between September 2020 and February 2021 if what they call "the current pattern of easing" restrictions continues in states.

    In a second scenario that they think is more likely, they say 511,000 could die between September and February under the assumption that "states would once again shut down social interaction and some economic activity" for six weeks once deaths reach a certain threshold per million residents.

    But in a third scenario where 95% of the population dons face coverings and social restrictions are in place, the projection is for deaths to be about 381,000 — or about 130,000 fewer than under the second scenario.

    If that mask percentage changes to 85% of Americans with restrictions, it could still save some 96,000 lives, they say.

    .....

Study found here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-1132-9
#15130351
Godstud wrote:@Rich You laughing at people getting sick only shows what a detestable person you truly are. keep it up.

Whereas Godstud proves what an honorable person he is by posting non-stop virtue-signalling, with no added-thought of his own. He follows the rules so that he always "looks good" in the eyes of the master.

You are a great example of a right-winger.

Godstud means you are "a bad dog," while he is a good dog (Left-winger).

It's all about good versus evil for him (fetching sticks versus chewing up the upholstery) so he's trying to find out which side is "evil" by using his patented "evil-divining rod" - aka commercial media.

Meanwhile, many other posters are wasting their time with analysis and multiple sources - but not evil-divining Godstud.

Admin Note: Rule 2 Violation Removed
#15130369
@Pants-of-dog

Wearing a mask, social spacing, etc is preventing illnesses (viral), from spreading. As has been noted, regular flus cause deaths too
#15130419
@QatzelOk I must have triggered you. :lol:

The right-wing stance is business, money, and economy over the lives of people. That's simply fact.

I meant exactly what I said and nothing more. Go back to your cave of anti-technology and self-hate, hypocrite.
#15130521
Godstud wrote:There is no justification for not wearing a mask, as masks don't reduce oxygen intake, in any way. It's probably SAFER for people with asthma to wear it, to protect them form allergens and pollen. Doctors and medical professionals often wear masks all day.

I worked at a manufacturing plant where people wore N95 masks all day. Even those who had asthma.


Right, but at least subjectively I do find it harder to breathe - particularly if while exercising. I also find it annoying to wear them along with glasses.

None of this is an excuse for not wearing them, but I can understand why some people don't like it. I don't like it either. Yet being an adult is all about compromising and doing necessary stuff you don't like to prevent any negative consequences from not doing so.

Godstud wrote:I don't know how autism would affect this... :eh:


Some autistic children simply refuse to wear masks, at all.

maz wrote:I do. I have allergies that flare up at the beginning of spring and fall. I most certainly had more pronounced reaction because of the mask wearing. In addition to the normal sneezing and itchy eyes, I also experienced chaffed lips and nose and breakouts around my the area that the mask covers. That has never happened before and I attribute it to being forced to wear a mask because I am a covid suspect.


Fair point. If so, go to a doctor (yes, even if it may cost you), get tested for allergies and figure out what are you allergic to - then you can learn if you have any alternatives. This will help you after the pandemic too.

As I'm sure you can understand, sorting this inconvenience out should be a priority over your own comfort if it lowers the probability of contagion.
#15130565
Why has Thailand handled this thing so badly? Why has Thailand got nearly 20 times the case rate of neighbouring Laos. Laos even shares a border with China, where as Thailand doesn't. Laos hasn't had a single official fatality from Covid. Shockingly Thailand also has twice the death rate of Vietnam which also shares a land border with China.
#15130593
Thailand has 20 times the cases in a country with 10x the population of Laos? Weird. Technically, that's only double the rate. I guess population density and having the most Chinese tourists visiting Thailand than any other nation wouldn't have made any difference either, right?

Note: Thailand also did over 500,000 Coronavirus tests. Laos did only 60,000.

Thailand had 59 deaths. 58 of them in the first couple months.

Still, less than 0.85 deaths per million. What's the USA at, again? Right... 685. USA also just recorded the highest number of infections since the beginning of the pandemic, too. :*(

By the way, Thailand has been out of lockdown since July 1. That is 4 months with no second wave, or indication of one. :D

You're just casting aspersions. Your attempt has failed, utterly. :lol:

@Rich You don't like that I found your laughing at people getting sick as being disgusting and indication of poor character. Too bad. I guess when you say horrible things, sometimes people pay attention.
#15130652
Godstud wrote:@Rich You don't like that I found your laughing at people getting sick as being disgusting and indication of poor character.

I am not laughing at the individuals getting sick, I'm laughing at groups in ability to control this thing, or more precisely those that have so identified with particular strategies and mocked those who opposed them.

This is not just a conflict of elites, politicians and experts. This is a conflict of strategies and methods that has, is and will be driven by popular opinion. It is my contention not that people should be prepared to accept more deaths, severe illness and possibly long term health problems, but that people will accept more deaths, severe illness and possibly long term health problems.

I'm no fanboi of Boris or the Tories. And indeed I was been one of the big supporters of South Sudanese independence. I don't know exactly why South Sudan has done so much better than Britain in its official figures, but the Liberal claim that this is because of better South Sudanese governance is utterly absurd. Its the same with Somalia. Some countries like South Sudan, Somalia, Laos or Thailand may never suffer a major spike in official Covid deaths, but it is not because they have magic policies that could have saved European, American countries or even places like Iran from significant deaths.

It is you Godstud and your fellow Liberals who mock the dead by trying to blame their deaths on Trump or on some small minority of right wing anti vaxers.
#15130747
@Rich Where did I blame Trump, aside from saying that his lack of leadership has probably cost the lives of Americans?

Anti-Vaxxers? There's no vaccine for Covid-19, as of yet. I think you are trying to make up arguments, in light of you not having one. This is why you mentioned Thailand, and completely failed to demonize it, AGAIN. :knife:
#15130798
The BBc is such a blatant dishonest lie propoganda lie machine these day machine Coronavirus: Europe's daily deaths rise by nearly 40% compared with last week - WHO
What's happening elsewhere in Europe?

Notice how they don't mention Sweden. Deaths are not rising in Sweden. Liberals are absolutely desperate that immunity shouldn't last. They are fanatically committed to forcing us to take vaccines, no matter what the cost, no matter whether they are effective, no matter what horrific side effects they have. There is no sign, no sign what so ever of the immunity that Swedish cities gained disappearing.
#15130801
Denmark is getting hammered. I have a friend there, who tells me this. It's even worse than at the start. Much like USA...

USA just peaked with the most infections in one day since the start of the pandemic, with 83,871, on Oct 23. 226,000 deaths, so far... :*(


@Rich It's not just about deaths, but if you want to focus on that, then maybe stop comparing USA to Sweden. Start comparing Sweden to Taiwan.
#15130826
My home state of Victoria, Australia implemented a severe lockdown on much of Victoria and reduced its new cases and deaths to zero. It is presently looking to open up and ease restrictions some.
#15130876
Godstud wrote:Thailand has 20 times the cases in a country with 10x the population of Laos? Weird. Technically, that's only double the rate.

Notice how Liberals constantly project their own cretinous dishonesty on to me. I even had one Liberal say "so you do believe in flat earth" because I said I believe the Earth was an oblate spheroid. Thailand has 170.86 times the number of cases of Laos, hence when you divide by the population you get a case rate per unit of population for Thailand that is nearly 20 times the rate for Laos, as I said. Yes of course there may be reasons for this that have nothing to do with the competence of the Thai government. But imagine if Sweden had nearly 20 times the case rate as Denmark, Liberals would be trumpeting it to the heavens.

As I've said the Liberals have been lying, concealing, distorting and misrepresenting since this thing began. Sometimes in completely opposite directions. In Britain early on the Liberals assured us that there was over whelming evidence of the ineffectiveness of non surgical masks, that they probably helped spread decease, then later they ordered us to believe that there was over whelming evidence of their effectiveness.
#15130878
Rich wrote:Liberals [said] non surgical masks... probably helped spread disease

No.

It was the government.

Masks - no social distancing, hand sanitiser, etc....

As to the effectiveness of masks, scientists said n95 masks would prevent you infecting others 80% of the time, other non medical grade masks less, but they would not prevent you infecting yourself. Overall, masks would be effective in reducing infection by about 6%. Which doesn't sound much but if 100.000s are being infected, if not millions, it adds up and takes some pressure off the health services.


:)
Last edited by ingliz on 28 Oct 2020 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
#15130880
@Rich Don't call me dishonest, you detestable piece of shit. I don't laugh at people getting sick and dying, like you.

@ingliz Right-wing fascists like Rich like to distract. Next he'll be bragging about how Monaco had so few cases. :knife:

Incidentally, Laos has more of a comparable population to Sweden, so why aren't you comparing Laos to Sweden @Rich? Would is destroy your brainless and utterly stupid argument? :lol:
#15130925
Rich wrote: I don't know exactly why South Sudan has done so much better than Britain in its official figures, but the Liberal claim that this is because of better South Sudanese governance is utterly absurd. Its the same with Somalia.


Maybe it's because Africans have stronger immune systems than Europeans?



Europeans, Africans have different immune systems, and Neanderthals are partly to thank
It's long been clear that people from different parts of the world differ in their susceptibility to developing infections as well as chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. Now, two studies show that those differences in disease susceptibility can be traced in large part to differences at the genetic level directing the way the immune systems of people with European and African ancestry are put together.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 142948.htm
#15130937
Sivad wrote:Maybe it's because Africans have stronger immune systems than Europeans?



Europeans, Africans have different immune systems, and Neanderthals are partly to thank
It's long been clear that people from different parts of the world differ in their susceptibility to developing infections as well as chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. Now, two studies show that those differences in disease susceptibility can be traced in large part to differences at the genetic level directing the way the immune systems of people with European and African ancestry are put together.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 142948.htm



Now that I think about it a stronger immune response could actually be detrimental with a disease like covid because the stronger the immune response the more inflammation you get. That might be one of the reasons why people of African descent here in the US are more severely impacted by corona?
#15130970
Rancid wrote:Finfinder sounds like a bitch. A real spineless weasel that always shifts and changes and redefines his statements when people show him how stupid he is.

What a pussy.


This is you by example raising the discussion level of the forum?

Shifting my response WTF are you talking about. No one has got the virus from actually playing the game. Do you really think I didn't know about what was going on in sports and game cancellations before I posted this. Seriously. You all can't name one game on the field that infected the other players because they were not wearing masks. If that was the case the media would have reported and we would have seen the games canceled . Anything outside actually playing the game like having dinner doesn't count. I thought you all were smart enough to understand this.

BTW no one has died from Corona playing sports.. Don't you think that is kind of the important thing here? Or is now contracting Corona the same as death. Fear Porn at its best.

Seriously though is this something to just come unglued and triggered about. Maybe you need to take a look at your life and why this stupid forum stuff effects you so deeply. I'm called every name in the book on a daily basis and I'm still here who is the one winning?
#15130973
Pants-of-dog wrote:Prove it.


You prove me wrong that play on the field and direct transmission of players playing the sport has caused Corona deaths.

No teams have had to quarantine the entire teams from playing the game on the field. No teams have had a death from Corona. Sorry that disappoints you.
  • 1
  • 57
  • 58
  • 59
  • 60
  • 61
  • 69
Election 2020

For a state legislature to invalidate a popular e[…]

Were The Crusades Justified?

Not true. Arab culture blossomed from the 8th to […]

By unleashing inner suggestions, you only provide[…]

Do we ban cigarettes and Lucky Charms, or regula[…]