What is this forum? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Please introduce yourself here.
By Drlee
I could not agree with Neoman more.

I also know for a fact that some politicians read this site and have, at least in one instance, acted on it.

I know that my friends are here. One time I was thinking of leaving because I was pissed over some petty offense or another and Neoman asked me, "Are you really going to abandon your friends?"

I will be with Rancid, going down with the ship too if it ever comes to that.

I cannot even begin to tell everyone how much I have learned from this site. A lot. It has changed my politics and made my life better. I have been lurking or participating in one way or another since the early days of the site.

I remember how angry I used to get at RonPaulAlways, how Cartertonian was always the voice of Reason and I very much miss Far Right Sage.

But we are what we are now and I am very grateful to Neoman for doing this. It has to be a labor of love and a real act of generosity from him to those of us for whom this site means so much.
By Godstud
I, for one, think that Noemon does a splendid job with this site, and often demonstrates infinite patience and generosity when we stray off the path of righteous indignation. Good job, @noemon. I often think people, including myself, don't give you enough credit for the good work you've done. Keep it up, please.

@Drlee QFT. I think this site has often changed my opinions on things, and I have indeed learned a lot from it.

I have thought about leaving in the past, but can't bring myself to do it, and often smack myself for even entertaining the idea. I like a lot of people on this forum and I even like to dislike the others. ;)
By ness31
I joined the forum in 2007 for one purpose alone, to defend Greek national interests against a western media consensus that Greece was in the wrong everywhere, in Cyprus, in Macedonia, in NATO, in Yugoslavia, in Libya, at the time there were several terrorist attacks taking place both in Greece and out of Greece and all this trashing eventually lead to the crescendo that was the Greek financial crisis in 2008 followed by yet another decade of constant trashing those "lazy, corrupt, pigly Greeks" by western media unanimously. I highly doubt that any nation committing genocide, war, ethnic cleansing has received as much hatred in such a consistent manner in the west as Greece received during the period 2004-2016 simply for not falling in line.

I always felt you were a Greek nationalist, I just never realized how much of one you were.

In all honesty, I don’t recall the representation of Greece the way you do, and I have a very steady diet of western propaganda.

At the end of the day, what could all those little upstarts throw at Greece that would ever really stick? Nothing. Greece is Greece. The cradle of democracy and home to the greatest minds ever.

But hey, if that’s what got you to join PoFo, so be it; but it sounds to me like you got played by something much bigger than yourself :lol:
Never thought that this forum have such influence. I always thought that its just a small dark corner on the internet that barely anyone is looking at

anyway Pofo have been great and quite forgiving compared to other places which ban without thinking twice

pofo is a lighthouse in the dark age of fake news and censorship
I suppose Christmas is a time for reflection, eh noemon? ;)

This place is a fair bit more active and vibrant than PoFoUK, which is still for the most part nasty, parochial and unpleasant.

I would spend more time here, were I not trying to keep some sort of order in 'the other place' - as there's only me and Lewis left moderating.

I come here for a break from Brexit! :evil:
By JohnRawls
Cartertonian wrote:I suppose Christmas is a time for reflection, eh noemon? ;)

This place is a fair bit more active and vibrant than PoFoUK, which is still for the most part nasty, parochial and unpleasant.

I would spend more time here, were I not trying to keep some sort of order in 'the other place' - as there's only me and Lewis left moderating.

I come here for a break from Brexit! :evil:

Keep up the good work. Haven't visited Pofo UK in ages. How are you?

If we are all about reflection then one thing I can definitely reflect on is that old pofo format < new pofo format especially with dark mode.
By Drlee
Howdy Cartertonian. I had just been talking about you.

Are you working these days in your old field or up to something new? Or retired?
(Inevitably) long story...

...short version is I'm back in uniform and running a mental health team. I crashed and burned at my PhD viva and have a year to re-submit.

How's life with you?
By Drlee
Well you are sure doing important work. Especially these days. You will nail it the next time.

Still working. I tried to wind down the consulting stuff but it is hard to turn down work. Co-teaching a class at the Uni and working three days a week at the homeless medical clinic. Busy for a geezer. The kids at school charge my batteries though. They are like oxygen.
@noemon a right winger eh? That is news to me! Hee hee. I just find him like a traditional Latin man (Noemon) though he is a Greek. But a Greek British man. A combination of fine qualities. :D

You know what @noemon I joined PoFo for the same reasons you joined. I was defending Puerto Rico. A small nation and a colony of the USA from defamatory and stupid rumours of crap. Ignorance and lack of knowledge about what was going on in my small island nation. I identified with your statements about Greece all this time. I never had those ideas about Greece, and suspected the smearing was about manipulating the image of Greece to make it tow the line. That is the reality for many nations that don't really have a superpower status in the world.

All I knew as truth were the interactions I have had with Greek people over the years and all of them were family oriented, and fun people with deep traditions and roles.

I met great people here. So I am eternally grateful.

It also made me much more focused and defined in my politics. The debates forced me to self reflect and it made my decisions that were strong and hard? Very well thought out. It changed my mentality.

My family is very jealous of my time. And they don't like that I spend time writing on here. They like me cooking, and talking and exercising and being with them and giving them my attention. I get criticized hard by many in this society because I don't check cell phones, and don't read texts....I am very hard to get a hold of in terms of attention. Too many platforms competing and jostling for my attention.

I have written in this forum almost exclusively for about ten years. All I am interested in is that it remains as a permanent record. Because if I die? This place has the majority of my thoughts.

If ever my son becomes an adult and would like to know what his mother's opinions were on a certain topic he can look them up here. I looked up my mother's thesis in her old university. It is in digital form though she wrote it in the sixties. The written form is beautiful as a historical record.

What better keeper of records for all eternity than a Greek with a poet's heart? I can't think of anyone more suited to that role than you are Noemon.

Amor eterno.

:)
Last edited by Tainari88 on 24 Jan 2020 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Hello all! I'm new to this forum, but this thread has given me some insight into its history, and I have been lurking for a while now. I love this website's format and hope to interact with everyone on it in the future. Have a nice day ;)
Local Localist wrote:Hello all! I'm new to this forum, but this thread has given me some insight into its history, and I have been lurking for a while now. I love this website's format and hope to interact with everyone on it in the future. Have a nice day ;)

Welcome, Local Localist Who Is Local! I see you're a fan of Yevgeny Zamyatin. Good man! (or manette, if you happen to be of the female persuasion)! :up: :D
I am glad I returned to the forum after a long hiatus. I love the banter. Some of the arguments make me laugh my ass off and some make me frown. But I enjoy reading opinions on here. I enjoy getting to know the individuals on here. You all enrich life.

Thank you.
@Potemkin

You never welcomed me on the forum when I wrote my initial post! What was up with that? I feel terrible since I wasn't welcomed by the GREAT Potemkin of PoFo. One of my favorite PoFo posters didn't even take the time to welcome me when I initially posted but took the time to welcome others. I see how it is. I guess I just don't "measure up" in intellectual ability.
By Potemkin
Politics_Observer wrote:@Potemkin

You never welcomed me on the forum when I wrote my initial post! What was up with that? I feel terrible since I wasn't welcomed by the GREAT Potemkin of PoFo. One of my favorite PoFo posters didn't even take the time to welcome me when I initially posted but took the time to welcome others. I see how it is. I guess I just don't "measure up" in intellectual ability.

I'm sorry, did somebody say something? I zoned out for a moment there.... :?:
@Potemkin

:lol: I was just joking around with you Potemkin. You're one of my favorite posters because you seem like an intelligent fellow with a good sense of humor. Don't take it the wrong way. Politically, I don't agree with you on some things. But still that doesn't mean somebody you disagree with politically on some things is not an intelligent fellow.
By Potemkin
Politics_Observer wrote:@Potemkin

:lol: I was just joking around with you Potemkin. You're one of my favorite posters because you seem like an intelligent fellow with a good sense of humor. Don't take it the wrong way. Politically, I don't agree with you on some things. But still that doesn't mean somebody you disagree with politically on some things is not an intelligent fellow.

Yeah, I was just joshin' wid ya too, @Politics_Observer. Nuttin' poisonal, like. :D

And I agree - what's the point of falling out with people just because they're wrong about everything (aka, don't agree with me)? ;)
By JohnRawls
Potemkin wrote:Yeah, I was just joshin' wid ya too, @Politics_Observer. Nuttin' poisonal, like. :D

And I agree - what's the point of falling out with people just because they're wrong about everything (aka, don't agree with me)? ;)

Trotsky > Stalin. <3 :excited:

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]