Schroeder "threatens to quit" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By El Cid
I don't know how up to date you guys are with European politics but eh:
Schroeder 'threatens to quit'
From Stephanie Halasz
CNN Berlin Bureau Chief
Monday, May 19, 2003 Posted: 12:32 PM EDT (1632 GMT)

Sources said Schroeder made the threat during a party executive committee meeting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BERLIN, Germany (CNN) -- Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder threatened Monday to resign if dissident members of his own party try to block his plans to trim Germany's generous social and economic benefits, party sources told CNN.

Schroeder made the threat over his "Agenda 2010" program during a meeting of the Social Democratic Party's executive committee, the sources said.

The program would enact a number of reforms that would cut health and pension levies on German firms.

The reforms also would lift many requirements on smaller firms, allowing them to more easily hire and fire workers.

Schroeder has said the reforms are needed to revitalize Germany's economy, but powerful trade unions and leftist members of the chancellor's party oppose his plans.

Why not I say?
By Adrien
Well, i'm not german and i don't have an advice to give on the Chancellor's politics, but it would be too bad to see him go because i kinda like the man.

:)

Maybe TUC would have an advice no?
By Delphi
I would hate to see Schröder go as well. Most Germans actually would rather drop a few places in economic rank than get rid of their welfare system. Out of the systems in the world, the German one has to be the most generous to the poor, sick, and the old.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]