China's Parliament to Discuss Draft Hong Kong National Security Law - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Treasury Sanctions Individuals for Undermining Hong Kong’s Autonomy

The list includes both Hong Kong current and ex chief officials (mainly security and law related), as well as Mainland officials assigned to enforce the new law.

From what I hear, sanctions involving OFAC means even doing foreign exchange or opening accounts for these people and / or their associates violate American law and can cause the said financial firm to face the same sanctions. Can any American posters verify this?
Beren wrote:I wonder if Taiwanese people will mind returning to China so much as Hongkongers do, they don't consider themselves half-British at least. :lol:

There are plenty of people in Taiwan who don't trust the CCP government, and thus don't currently support reunification.
skinster wrote:https://youtu.be/Xpq4SNJNcmA

Since that source has been praised by the Global Times, and is affiliated with actual communists, I'm inclined to think that the GZ is just anti-western propaganda.

The more I read about it, the less I trust it. I don't think that's really the same voice as they've claimed.
Rancid wrote:Most Taiwanese do not trust the CCP.

My wife's friend is Taiwanese, she was telling us how the media in Taiwan is super anti-CCP. She also echoed that the people themselves are very anti-CCP too.

So anti-CCP that 4 million make the weekend commute to the mainland for weekly work? So distrustful that the mainland is their #1 investment destination, import and export market, etc. Mhhhmmmmm...

Like with most western propaganda and its amplification across the usual channels, something does not line up.
4 million out of 23.78 million Taiwanese does not prove a pro-CCP silent majority. Neither does trade, as the west also trades with mainland China to a rediculous extent. Nothing you've wrote (assuming it's true) outs everything against the CCP as propaganda.
Rancid wrote:Most Taiwanese do not trust the CCP.

My wife's friend is Taiwanese, she was telling us how the media in Taiwan is super anti-CCP. She also echoed that the people themselves are very anti-CCP too.

Taiwanese are in general divided into two major groups.

One is anti-CCP but loves China (KMD)

One is both anti-CCP and anti-China (DPP)

Now that some Chinese people seem to be more vocal in being genuinely proud (?) of their regime, the latter group seems growing in both Taiwan and Hong Kong.
skinster wrote:

Taiwan had not been a part of China until relatively recently (its time in China was much shorter than Vietnam, who had been under Chinese rule for a good thousand years!).

"KMT fled there after revolution" -- more like invasion by Soviet Union (although Mao and his successors eventually turned on the Soviets themselves and arguably facilitated the Soviets' downfall).

It is true that Taiwan had deep connections to China because it's a safe haven for multiple Chinese government in exile, but with most of the people no longer connected to Mainland China emotionally, and with the Strait there and Taiwan itself having a good standing military, they have enough intention, ability and justification to declare independence and denounce the above "Taiwan is part of China" shit, something not necessarily tenable for other anti-CCP Chinese region (like Hong Kong).

skinster wrote:

This is actually the best business model because it gives the necessary protection. The firearm dealers deserve the profit. Bite me.

My only concern is that the weapons should have been used directly on those who deserve it.

While saying "the motherfucker posting the above tweet deserves being struck by the weapons" is kind of a stretch, he does sound like he wants to take a strike himself.

Consumers post-capitalism could stay one-step-a[…]

Fraternal Order of the Alt-Knights In 2017, […]

Can anyone give a run down on which counties are […]

The Iguala Massacre

In 2014, September 26, students from a teacher tra[…]