Bombings in Manchester - Page 17 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Saeko
MememyselfandIJK wrote:@Finfinder Committing war crimes only motivates the enemy and adds legitimacy to their position. Something that we don't want. ISIS can use that anger to grow even stronger.

Let me know how that works out for you when, two decades later the next generation rises up again to continue the legacy of terror. Unless you plan to totally obliterate the area, then history will have the last laugh.

Yeah, because we will be the ones writing it. :lol:
Saeko wrote:Yeah, because we will be the ones writing it.
Is that why most American war crimes are ignored and History textbooks in the United States are nationalistic dirt?

@Suntzu Can you relink the source? I must have missed it.
By Suntzu
MememyselfandIJK wrote:Is that why most American war crimes are ignored and History textbooks in the United States are nationalistic dirt?

The winners write history.
By Saeko
MememyselfandIJK wrote:Is that why most American war crimes are ignored and History textbooks in the United States are nationalistic dirt?

Maybe you could try reading something other than Chomsky for once.
Saeko wrote:Maybe you could try reading something other than Chomsky for once.

Never heard of him. He sounds fascinating though.

However I am not alone in stating that textbooks are nationalistic dirt. For example the book, "Lies My Teacher Told Me" describes how American History has gone from history course to indoctrination. And it was written in 1995 but things have continued to get worse.

@Suntzu Thanks

EDIT: The article does not mention the charges the perpetrator's family were placed on.
mikema63 wrote:What countries text books don't have nationalistic narratives?
A nationalism free history course can easily be conducted if there is emphasis on primary sources, and discussion centering on objectivity, purpose, audience, and perspective is kept in mind.
That's not what I asked.

What you just described is a college history course. Children get history through a lens because all historical analysis is done that way. If you put the state in charge of education they are going to select nationalistic ones.

All public education is going to have that inherent to them. America isn't special in that regard.
mikema63 wrote:That's not what I asked.

What you just described is a college history course. Children get history through a lens because all historical analysis is done that way. If you put the state in charge of education they are going to select nationalistic ones.

All public education is going to have that inherent to them. America isn't special in that regard.

Well in that case we need to make public school history courses more like college courses. We cannot present history through a "lens" because that is what most results in a nationalist tint.
All history is analyzed through a lens. I say it's a high level history college course because learning to collect primary sources and other evidence to synthesize some understanding of an event or period is an extremely challenging endeavor. It's also a rather specialized skill that requires tons of already established knowledge in the field.

Children learn the analysis without learning the synthesis the same way children learn what electron is without learning how to actually run the experiments and analyze the results.
Saeko wrote:You can't learn much history of primary sources, since most primary sources are not written in English.
After they are translated :) . Even then you can learn about history if you can't speak the language of a piece of music, you can still interpret it, and visual art is universal.
By Saeko
MememyselfandIJK wrote:After they are translated :) . Even then you can learn about history if you can't speak the language of a piece of music, you can still interpret it, and visual art is universal.

If they're translated, they are not primary. ;)
It is still primary. It is not the same, but it is still the voice of those who were there to witness it. Unless you are willing to learn Italian to read the divine comedy or Russian to read accounts of the Russian revolution.
MememyselfandIJK wrote:It is still primary. It is not the same, but it is still the voice of those who were there to witness it. Unless you are willing to learn Italian to read the divine comedy or Russian to read accounts of the Russian revolution.

Even primary sources aren't unbiased. You have conflicting groups within a nation, too, y'know? And even if a culture existed as a monolithic entity, it still wouldn't be unbiased, especially when chronicling its dealings with other nations/cultures.

Of course, we all know that for leftists, "unbiased" is just shorthand for "agrees with my worldview."
layman wrote:Looks like the whole family is rotten.

This is a good example of why we have far more to fear from "refugees" children than the migrants themselves.

That is exactly right. Many times the worst home grown terrorists are not the original Muslim immigrants and refugees, but their children who grow up hateful of a society that Islam loathes and would like to see destroyed. These second generation Muslims read and study the malignant hate in the Koran and they feel it is their obligation as a Muslim to carry out attacks on the infidels.

The reason for the murders is not hard to figure out, and the basic solution is easy - STOP allowing Muslims into our country, except in rare, fully vetted circumstances.

You didn't watch the video I posted earlier which[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities […]

The GOP is pretty much the anti-democracy party a[…]

I just read a few satires by Juvenal, and I still[…]