Donald Trump reinstates global abortion funding ban - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Support or opposition to abortion should not completely eliminate an organization, especially international, from ALL funding sources. You need to deal with the "enemy" sometimes. Having an exclusive policy can be counterproductive at times. Especially dealing in Africa, where social situations can make dealing with governments rather tricky.

Especially when the most common alternative to abortion most pro-life advocates can come up with is "abstinence", which is a really dumb sole policy. We should be air dropping mountains of condoms on Africa.
Ter wrote:It is relevant to your argument because you give the women the right to kill another person , albeit unborn, who happens still to be in her uterus.

Not quite.

It would be more correct to say that I recognise a woman's right to withhold her body from use by others, regardless of whther or not the other person is going to die if her body is withheld.

This is consistent with the fact that people who are born and who happen to not be in her uterus cannot force a woman to act as their life support system.

To argue that a person who happnes to be in her uterus should be able to exercise this specific and special right that no one else has is contradictory to the idea of equality under the law.

And this is where we disagree.
A pregnancy is not an event that concerns only the female of the species.
There are three parties involved.
I do however not think that feminists would agree with that reality.

Your opinion on pregnancy does not contradict any of the facts I have mentioned.

Maybe you think the father or the fetus should have special rights that somehow trump a woman's right to use her body as she will. If so, you may wish to explain why.
Last edited by Pants-of-dog on 25 Jan 2017 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Maybe you think the father or then fetus should gave special rights that somehow trump a woman's right to use her body as she will. If so, you may wish to explain why.

It is self-explanatory.
The foetus can of course not speak for itself but it is there and therefore, in my opinion, has the right to life.
The father contributed to the pregnancy but biology has reserved the female as the incubator.
Maybe soon we will have technology to let the foetuses develop in an external device, then the women won't have to kill the foetuses any more. I wonder if they (the women) would agree to that ?

Ter wrote:It is self-explanatory.
The foetus can of course not speak for itself but it is there and therefore, in my opinion, has the right to life.

I am not disputing that it has the right to life. In fact, I am explicitly pointing out that even if we grant fetuses every right that born people have, it still does not affect my argument.

This is because even born people do not have enrights that you wish to give fetuses.

The father contributed to the pregnancy but biology has reserved the female as the incubator.

Okay. The father and the mother both can have the same rights to bodily autonomy.

Maybe soon we will have technology to let the foetuses develop in an external device, then the women won't have to kill the foetuses any more. I wonder if they (the women) would agree to that ?

Maybe, but who cares?
Pants-of-dog wrote:I am not disputing that it has the right to life. In fact, I am explicitly pointing out that even if we grant fetuses every right that born people have, it still does not affect my argument.

Spoken like a true lawyer.
You say it does have the right to life but it has to die because it is in the wrong place.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Okay. The father and the mother both can have the same rights to bodily autonomy.

That is a ridiculous argument, even for you.
I just said the mother is the incubator, not the father.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Maybe, but who cares?

Well, to start with, the foetus cares. It might save its life.
And the father, he gets to be a daddy independent of the wishes of the mother.

Let us end this fruitless discussion.
Ter wrote:Spoken like a true lawyer.
You say it does have the right to life but it has to die because it is in the wrong place.

And the people who die because they need kidney and liver transplants also die, but you do not shed a tear for them.

But since we would be taking rights away from men as well as women, we do not pass laws forcing people to donate a kidney or a protion of their liver.

That is a ridiculous argument, even for you.
I just said the mother is the incubator, not the father.

And I just said they have equal rights.

Unless you are arguing that father should have more rights?

Well, to start with, the foetus cares. It might save its life.
And the father, he gets to be a daddy independent of the wishes of the mother.

Great. That has nothing to do with my argument.

Let us end this fruitless discussion.

Feel free.
Tewodros III wrote:[Zag Edit: Rule 2]

But again, Minorities breed more than Whites, even in the south and without healthcare, White babies will die more than Minorities. So you're fucked either way.

Pretty sure that whites have always been a statistical minority on a global scale. So the fact that everyone else is breeding themselves into destitution is not necessarily a problem for white-majority countries, so long as domestic populations are capped through sustainable immigration policy.

I think this is why the global south is reacting so badly against Trump's presidency. It means that everyone has to pull their weight. Everyone has to make their own country great again.

Not everyone wants to do that.
Donald wrote:
Pretty sure that whites have always been a statistical minority on a global scale. So the fact that everyone else is breeding themselves into destitution is not necessarily a problem for white-majority countries, so long as domestic populations are capped through sustainable immigration policy.

I think this is why the global south is reacting so badly against Trump's presidency. It means that everyone has to pull their weight. Everyone has to make their own country great again.

Not everyone wants to do that.
We're talking about America and China is doing great for a billion people. Since when have America helped Africa and Latin America? We're not talking about mass immigration here, we mean the legal non-whites.
Ter wrote:Why would Mexico have to pay for that wall ?
That is something I have not understood.

Which is my point. It is pretty goddamn ridiculous. Mexico will pay for that wall (assuming it is actually a thing and not what we'd term as vaporware) the same way Iraq paid for the Iraq War.

For "fiscal conservatives", Republicans are awfully romantic about their notions of funding their actions.
Zagadka wrote:Which is why Mexico will be paying for the wall?

If I recall, Trump promised to "make" Mexico pay for it. I don't doubt for moment that he will pull all kinds of economic strings to get them to pay up.

Consider the point of view from a Mexican nationalist though: a non-pourous border wall with the US would severely undermine the illicit industries that have effectively rendered Northern Mexico a failed state. Let that sink in.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Putins peace plan is toilet paper [...] So is […]

Poland : " I'm sorry to say - we, Western wo[…]

What's your point? It proves they're not being […]

Today's Palestinian organizations did not exist d[…]