Donald Trump reinstates global abortion funding ban - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

colliric wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AafOhLUMvc

Sanger was an evil bitch. Why should the organization she founded be given public funds?

Usually organisations with evil racist founders get totally squashed, why not this one too?

Crowder? That race baiting and enabler for whites, try to decide who's racist just cause they're on the left? LOL
Two weeks before delivery, it's a foetus attached to the inside of a woman's body. Two weeks after it's a born person, who functions at the same basic level as living people, even if they need medical assistance to do so.
colliric wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AafOhLUMvc

Sanger was an evil bitch. Why should the organization she founded be given public funds?

Usually organisations with evil racist founders get totally squashed, why not this one too?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_fallacy

The genetic fallacy (also known as the fallacy of origins or fallacy of virtue[1]) is a fallacy of irrelevance where a conclusion is suggested based solely on someone's or something's history, origin, or source rather than its current meaning or context. This overlooks any difference to be found in the present situation, typically transferring the positive or negative esteem from the earlier context.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Edit: you never explained why you randomly inserted a youtube clip abput Gianna Jensen.
Last edited by Pants-of-dog on 25 Jan 2017 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

You have repeatedly used the same fallacy to argue for current racial issues based upon historical events. :?:
Stormsmith wrote:We do now.

Moms without insurance have, on occasion, given birth to babies who's brains are exposed or completely lacking a skull. Historically, they have not been fed and simply left to die. Is that preferable to an abortion ?

You're evading my question again. Tell you what: you answer my question (since I asked first - twice), and then I'll answer your question. :)

snapdragon wrote:Two weeks before delivery, it's a foetus attached to the inside of a woman's body. Two weeks after it's a born person, who functions at the same basic level as living people, even if they need medical assistance to do so.

Biologically, the fetus is functioning at the same basic level as "living people" two weeks before birth, too - it is alive, after all. :roll: And since babies can survive outside the womb even earlier, there is no substantial difference between a baby two weeks before and two weeks after birth. My sister was born four weeks early. Your differentiation is completely arbitrary.

So tell me again your justification for late-pregnancy abortion.
Frollein wrote:Biologically, the fetus is functioning at the same basic level as "living people" two weeks before birth, too - it is alive, after all. :roll: And since babies can survive outside the womb even earlier, there is no substantial difference between a baby two weeks before and two weeks after birth. My sister was born four weeks early. Your differentiation is completely arbitrary.

While it's in the uterus, it's using the woman's body to sustain its life to the detriment of her health and well being.. No person has the right to do this.

So tell me again your justification for late-pregnancy abortion.

That it's none of my business. Or yours.
Pants-of-dog wrote:It would be more correct to say that I recognise a woman's right to withhold her body from use by others, regardless of whther or not the other person is going to die if her body is withheld.

To argue that a person who happnes to be in her uterus should be able to exercise this specific and special right that no one else has is contradictory to the idea of equality under the law.

You speak as if the fetus just happens to be in a woman's womb and ignore how it got there.
Do you feel that women bear no responsibility for getting pregnant?
You're ignoring some important context here.
Frollein

You're evading my question again. Tell you what: you answer my question (since I asked first - twice), and then I'll answer your question.

Okay. What's your question.?
AFAIK wrote:You speak as if the fetus just happens to be in a woman's womb and ignore how it got there.

Actually, I already addressed the idea of responsibility in this read a few pages back.

I argued that since we do not use personal responsibility as a reason for denying medical treatment to people other than pregnant women, it would be inconsistent with the idea of equality under the law to make a special law that punishes women for getting pregnant by denying them abortions.
That's because we have a functional criminal justice system. A drunk driver will be taken to intensive care after injuring himself by crashing. If he survives he will be prosecuted for the injuries and/or deaths he caused to others.

Are you arguing that a fetus has no rights? Or that the mother comes first whenever their rights are in conflict?

Also, do you feel that men should be allowed to walk away from their familial commitments at any time?
AFAIK wrote:You speak as if the fetus just happens to be in a woman's womb and ignore how it got there.

Though PoD said
Pants-of-dog wrote:It would be more correct to say that I think personal responsibility is not a relevant factor when deciding who has access to medical treatments.

I do think we can get a sense that we hold people responsbile for the child if they weren't unreasonably coerced into the sexual encounter that created the child. Which would help possibly explain why some exceptions for abortion are limited to rape or why there's new laws being advocated for exempting men from child support when their sperm was used non-consensually (statory rape, rape, misuse of fertility technology, etc).

But when two people engage in consensual sex we do posit an idea of implicit consent to the risk of pregnancy even when risk of pregnancy is diminished because one can't entirely remove the link between sex and reproduction without disrupting reproductive organs.
Though it still needs to be detailed further why consent to sex nullifies a woman's non-consent to a developing child using her body. Because when people have sex, in a sense they don't directly control their reproductive organs, they indirectly do. The idea being that biology simply does its thing, so that people can have sex but both not have wanted a pregnancy to occur, we wouldn't say that they consented to pregnancy. Because it makes no sense to speak of consent to acts of nature, where as in the laws for non-consensual use of sperm, there is a moral agent acting maliciously.
So we get back to the thought that they implicitly consent through consensual sex, but it's not yet clear from this why it nullifies abortion. Would have to dig into implicit consent and argue why it should take precedent over a woman's desire to have an abortion which seems to signify a clear non-consent to the pregnancy. It becomes a case of why is one more compelling than the other, why does the implicit consent entailed in sexual encounter take greater precedent than her non-consent?
Which brings us to the actual issue that one has to argue, the rightness or wrongness of abortion which largely revolves around ideas of establishing when a child has personhood. Because if its too early, one can criminalize women who have miscarriages. But then even after acknowledging personhood, we have to then establish that it trumps the woman's bodily autonomy. Because in the abstract, we don't treat the woman as having a right to kill her child because children aren't viewed as property under liberalism. But by prioritizing her bodily autonomy in terms of not being used by another, we justify her cutting the link which has the consequence of the developing child dying, if its thought to be alive.
Though to really adhere to such an abstract view, we could technically remove the child and have it placed outside the mother where it would die rather than it be shredded or what ever.

Which I suppose is difficult because people tend treat bodily autonomy as an intrinsic good within liberalism that can't be imposed upon without justification, at least in the abstract. And people also treat life as an unconditional intrinsic good where every life is sacred. Which opens up both for arguments about how in practice life isn't treated so sacredly by a person or how bodily autonomy isn't unlimited.

In the end though, I think if people are concerned with abortion, beyond just trying to argue for variations within law, the more substantial task would be addressing the basis for people not wanting to have their children.

Also following the idea of responsibility, both parents are given parental responsibility when they had consensual sex. That some try to posit men being allowed to walk away from providing even minimal child support because they don't want to. But its a false equivalence to state that because a woman has an abortion that it justifies making unequal rights in regards to attribution of parental responsibility based on biology and responsibility in the creation of the child.
That women having a right to an abortion is substantiated on a relevant difference that they can get pregnant and thus can in practice actually have an abortion whilst men can't. That a womans ability to have an abortion isn't depriving the man of any right and thus any perceived injustice due to differential treatment needs to specify how the law is unjust. And how that injustice means that men could be absolved of parental responsibility in the standard two biological parents who consensually had sex.
That differential treatment can be justified when there are relevant differences. So for example a person with disabilities getting rights specific to them being disabled doesn't deprive non-disabled people of any rights. So if someone complained that they wanted to be absolved of some responsibilities because the disabled person in the workplace got some reasonable accommodations.
We'd be like fuck the employee that thinks because they add some ramps for wheelchair access or what ever, that he shouldn't have to do parts of his job. Not perfectly analogous but I think touches on the relevant error in judgement.
snapdragon wrote:While it's in the uterus, it's using the woman's body to sustain its life to the detriment of her health and well being.. No person has the right to do this.

Then I guess the woman and her man shouldn't have put it there in the first place, right? There's something about taking responsibility for your actions in this situation, I'm sure you can figure it out. As far as I know, no fetus has ever held a gun to a woman's head and forced her to conceive it, so that it can suck the life out of her like an evil parasite. Have you watched Alien a bit too often? Oh, all those mothers, crippled for life by their evil fetuses! :lol: :knife:

And you know what? It doesn't stop at birth! That little monster wakes you up several times at night, it sucks your milk like the evil thing it is, it needs to be cleaned, clothed, carried around, and will cost you a lot of money until you can finally throw it out of the house at age eighteen.

By your fucked-up logic, it would be perfectly normal to kill a baby in its crib for all the crimes it is committing against its mother.

That it's none of my business. Or yours.

So you agree then that people whose business it isn't shouldn't be forced to pay for it with their tax money? Excellent.

@Stormsmith my questions are in this very thread. If you're too lazy to go back and read them, this conversation is over. Your argument was non-existent, but thanks for trying.
Frollein wrote:Then I guess the woman and her man shouldn't have put it there in the first place, right? There's something about taking responsibility for your actions in this situation, I'm sure you can figure it out. As far as I know, no fetus has ever held a gun to a woman's head and forced her to conceive it, so that it can suck the life out of her like an evil parasite. Have you watched Alien a bit too often? Oh, all those mothers, crippled for life by their evil fetuses! :lol: :knife:

People tend not to be infallible, Miss Perfect. Sometimes accidents happen. Very late term abortions are only carried out because the circumstances are dire, and are a tragedy for everyone concerned. I cannot imagine what it must be like to undergo an abortion two weeks before the EDD. Luckily for most of us, we'll never need to find out.
And you know what? It doesn't stop at birth! That little monster wakes you up several times at night, it sucks your milk like the evil thing it is, it needs to be cleaned, clothed, carried around, and will cost you a lot of money until you can finally throw it out of the house at age eighteen.

Exactly. You at least, unlike some pro lifers, don't refer to children as inconvenience. They change your life.It's quite understandable why a woman or girl would terminate their unwanted pregnancy.

By your fucked-up logic, it would be perfectly normal to kill a baby in its crib for all the crimes it is committing against its mother.

You've now become hysterical and are not making any sense whatsoever.

So you agree then that pople whose business it isn't shouldn't be forced to pay for it with their tax money? Excellent.

How on earth did you reach that conclusion? I believe reproductive healthcare should certainly be funded by tax payers, but even I didn't, I accept that sometimes we taxpayers have to pay for things we'd rather not.
I'm pro-contraception, pro-abortion and pro-life so I oppose a move that will make contraception and abortion harder to acquire.

And by pro-life I mean I'm in favour of ensuring everyone has access to housing, healthcare, education and food with the gov't intervening to correct market failures as and when needed. It's bizarre that we allow conservatives to wear the pro-life badge when their concern for life stops at birth.

I hope PoD will take the time to answer my question when he's not busy.
I'm interested in his perspective.
snapdragon wrote:Very late term abortions are only carried out because the circumstances are dire, and are a tragedy for everyone concerned.

I'm sure mothers who kill or give away their newborns also consider the circumstances to be "dire".

Making very late term abortions perfectly legal and at the same time killing babies punishable by decades in prison make little sense to me.
AFAIK wrote:I'm pro-contraception, pro-abortion and pro-life so I oppose a move that will make contraception and abortion harder to acquire.

And by pro-life I mean I'm in favour of ensuring everyone has access to housing, healthcare, education and food with the gov't intervening to correct market failures as and when needed. It's bizarre that we allow conservatives to wear the pro-life badge when their concern for life stops at birth.

I hope PoD will take the time to answer my question when he's not busy.
I'm interested in his perspective.

Sorry, but can you repeat the question? Thanks.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Putins peace plan is toilet paper [...] So is […]

Poland : " I'm sorry to say - we, Western wo[…]

What's your point? It proves they're not being […]

Today's Palestinian organizations did not exist d[…]