Heavy turnout predicted as Iranians vote - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

User avatar
By Oxymoron
#13062056
And yes mutual co-operation between master and dog IS beneficial isn't it, for both master and dog, problem is, this goes against your very ideals of freedom, opportunity and equality. Or maybe it doesn't since you could have a very warped view of what those actually are.


I dont think I do, obviously Iraqis will have better lives without Saddam.
User avatar
By Igor Antunov
#13062062
And it's obvious the Saudis will have a better life without the medieval house of saud breathing down their necks. But I don't see you standing for their freedoms. In fact you support a regime that is more absolute, more extreme and far more opressive than Saddam was to his people. And all for YOUR benefit.

Is saudi arabia just on your 'to do list'?
User avatar
By Oxymoron
#13062070
And it's obvious the Saudis will have a better life without the medieval house of saud breathing down their necks.


Better then a Taliban style goverment.

But I don't see you standing for their freedoms. In fact you support a regime that is more absolute, more extreme and far more opressive than Saddam was to his people. And all for YOUR benefit.


Again Saudia Arabia is not acting beligerent and we have no reason to topple the regime(One friendly to the US) and install a Democracy.
By Donald
#13062074
House of Saud is basically a diplomatic Taliban.
User avatar
By GandalfTheGrey
#13062081
This wide margin defies all credibility. The polls leading up to this election all indicated a close race


What polls? Who was counted?

From the Tehran Times:

Mr Ahmadinejad's base support is in the rural areas, where it is hard to take a poll or get a general opinion.

An estimated 15 million of the eligible voters reside in rural areas. Studies from previous elections have shown that election turnout in rural areas is higher than in urban areas.

All in all, nothing can be predicted for the 10th presidential election.


Khamenei publicly urged voters not to vote for "pro western" candidates - an endorsement of Ahmedinejad by default. It is true the western media blatantly focused on the anti-Ahmedinejad crowd without really giving an indication of what proportion they represented. I don't think we here in the west can be sure who was the front runner coming into the election.
User avatar
By Nets
#13062099
Good news.

It isn't as if Mousawi would have stopped arming Hezbollah and stopped enriching uranium. It's not even as if that is in the President's power.

It's good that Iran's figurehead will continue to be a clown who the US and Europe can't stand.

---
Edited for grammar.
Last edited by Nets on 13 Jun 2009 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
By MVictorP
#13062108
It's good that Iran's figurehead will continue to be clown who the US and Europe can't stand.


That's an interesting point of view... But and then, what?
User avatar
By Nets
#13062129
What do you mean?
User avatar
By Fasces
#13062134
It is very possible he may have won, GTG, but for a man to win double what his approval rating once was must be handled with skepticism. Not every stolen election is blatant.

I do not care either way. Western interests are preserved, in actuality, by the continuance of the clown dynasty, but it is most certainly too early to say there is no way fraud did not occur, and it is not wrong to suspect that it might have.

Regardless, the Iranian presidency is a useless figurehead.
By Zyx
#13062143
Ahmadinejad won?

Yahho Watashi Wa Kattaze~!

That's excellent news!

An anti-imperialist victor make me proud!

Nets wrote:What do you mean?


You clearly advocate war, here, Nets. In fact, war apparently is your preference.
User avatar
By Nets
#13062147
An anti-imperialist victor make me proud!


The alliance between Marxists and Islamist theocrats is worth it just for the lulz.

You clearly advocate war, here, Nets. In fact, war apparently is your preference.


I did no such thing. Please point out where I advocated war in relation to these elections. I would say this was a straw man, but you aren't making an argument.
By Zyx
#13062150
Nets wrote:It's good that Iran's figurehead will continue to be a clown who the US and Europe can't stand.


What else can this mean?

As for as Islamic theocrats, he's an anti-imperialist.

Also, Islam is historically anti-imperialist. No reason to denounce the religion.
User avatar
By Nets
#13062166
Also, Islam is historically anti-imperialist. No reason to denounce the religion.


Yea, everyone is anti-imperialist when they are on the receiving end, so what.
Image

As for as Islamic theocrats, he's an anti-imperialist.


Yea, and? Anyways, I didn't say Islamic, I said Islamist.

What else can this mean?


Sanctions, political isolation, national embarrassment, etc. I do not favor war, I do support continued political pressure.
User avatar
By Igor Antunov
#13062176
The alliance between Marxists and Islamist theocrats is worth it just for the lulz.


Actually islam is very compatible with socialism on the economic front. Iran is predominantly a socialist economy.
By Zyx
#13062183
Nets wrote:Sanctions, political isolation, national embarrassment, etc. I do not favor war, I do support continued political pressure.


The other side of diplomacy is war. If the U.S. can't stand Iran, as in it's not diplomatic with it . . ..

Fine, though, if you support more diplomacy despite wishing that Iran is non-negotiable, whatever.

Nets wrote:Yea, everyone is anti-imperialist when they are on the receiving end, so what.


That's a meaningless map. Unless you want to show how that relates with anything, you've wasted twenty seconds.

Nets wrote:Yea, and? Anyways, I didn't say Islamic, I said Islamist.


Alright, so someone who wants to enforce Sharia law? I don't usually use that word, but ok.

I don't see how that's automatically a bad thing. A nation wants to enforce law.
User avatar
By arabian_dream
#13062192
I hope AhmadiNajad wins...
User avatar
By Nets
#13062197
The other side of diplomacy is war. If the U.S. can't stand Iran, as in it's not diplomatic with it . . ..

Fine, though, if you support more diplomacy despite wishing that Iran is non-negotiable, whatever.


This last sentence wasn't really English. "Wishing that Iran is non-negotiable". What?

That's a meaningless map. Unless you want to show how that relates with anything, you've wasted twenty seconds.


You said Islam is historically anti-imperialist, which is a meaningless comment. First, I'd argue that it isn't (Islam was initially spread by a violent empire). Second, it has nothing to do with this discussion (you claimed I denounced Islam, I didn't in this thread).

Alright, so someone who wants to enforce Sharia law? I don't usually use that word, but ok.
I don't see how that's automatically a bad thing. A nation wants to enforce law.


It just makes me laugh that the same people who cheerlead for the Ayatollahs scream bloody murder about Christmas trees on town hall lawns.

You support them solely because they oppose your own country, the US, and conveniently ignore that all of their social policies go against your ideology.
User avatar
By arabian_dream
#13062207
]
Nets wrote:
You said Islam is historically anti-imperialist, which is a meaningless comment. First, I'd argue that it isn't (Islam was initially spread by a violent empire).


You got that from pope didnt u?
why dont u go and study history from a non-anti-Islam(not racist) point of view.
User avatar
By Nets
#13062211
You got that from pope didnt u?


You caught me, I'm a papist! :eek:

why dont u go and study history from a non-anti-Islam(not racist) point of view.


Islam is not a race. Anyways, not to derail the thread, but are you claiming that Mohamed and his successors didn't conquer and convert massive amounts of land? Your a young religion so I'll forgive your hot-headedness.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 22
EU-BREXIT

@snapdragon mcdonnel is now pushing for full on […]

Atheism is Evil

@SSDR As mentioned before, there is no fixed h[…]

Trump's Dumb Economics

Deficit $22 Trillion and rising. I rest my case.

Cis heterosexual males have suffered massive disc[…]