Iraqi Council - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Delphi
The 25-member multiethnic, politically diverse council pledged to represent the "national will" of all Iraqis.

The council said it would remain in almost continuous session to handle its work. Although U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer retains ultimate control over the county, the council is expected to make significant steps toward returning rule to Iraqis, including drafting a constitution that will lead to national elections -- executive powers the Coalition Provisional Authority had initially opposed. It will also appoint government ministers.

The Seven Political Parties represented are:

The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan
The Iraqi National Congress
The Kurdistan Democratic Party
The Islamic Al-Da'wah Party
The Iraq Democratic Party
The Iraqi National Coalition
and
The Supreme Council of the Islamic Revolution

I was really surprised not to see the Iraqi Communist Party. Seeing, the council is supposed to represent the people of Iraq.

Founded in 1934, the Iraqi Communist Party is the oldest in the country. It was banned by the British-installed monarchy, and was later savagely repressed under Saddam's Baathist regime.

Historically, it has drawn its support mainly from the impoverished Shiites of southern Iraq, where the secular party had a strong presence. In the 1960s, its influence gradually spread through rural communities elsewhere in the country, and among middle classes in the Sunni-dominated central part of Iraq.

In the 1970s, the party's leaders and activists took refuge in Iraqi Kurdistan, where they formed a militia force that fought Saddam's army alongside Kurdish guerrillas. In the meantime, they kept up efforts to mobilize party cells in urban centers, and particularly in Baghdad, where they existed in deep secrecy to avoid the regime's omnipresent secret police.

Al-Dujaily said the communists' strength lies in the fact that they now have a strong presence in all parts of Iraq - a boast no other political party can make. Members include Arab Sunnis and Shiites, Kurds, Turkomans, Christians, and Assyrians.

This has earned communists the enmity of other groups, particularly fundamentalist Muslim clerics in Baghdad's al-Thawra neighborhood, where Communist slogans about workers' unity have been painted over or defaced.

The party has a long history of cooperating with other middle-of-the-road parties such as the National Democratic Party, the two main Kurdish political parties and Islamic groups like al-Dawa and the Iranian-backed Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq.

Although it used to be ideologically close to the Soviet Union, the two fell out over the issue of Moscow's continuing support for Saddam's regime. In 1989, the Iraqi party revised its Marxist roots and moved to a reformist platform allowing for political pluralism and liberal democracy.

The communists now advocate a government representing all of Iraq's political, ethnic and religious groups.

I wish for once that the U.S. wouldn't shy away from any part labeled "Communist". It should be interesting if this council works. I don't think it will have much say however, it seems to me like a puppet council.
By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Here is a list of all the members...

Ahmed Chalabi, Iraqi National Congress
Abdel-Aziz al-Hakim, Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution
Ibrahim al-Jaafari, Dawa Islamic Party
Naseer al-Chaderchi, National Democratic Party
Jalal Talabani, Patriotic Union of Kurdistan
Massoud Barzani, Kurdistan Democratic Party
Iyad Allawi, Iraqi National Accord
Ahmed al-Barak, human rights activist
Adnan Pachachi, former Foreign Minister
Aquila al-Hashimi, foreign affairs expert
Raja Habib al-Khuzaai, southern tribal leader
Hamid Majid Mousa, Communist Party
Mohammed Bahr al-Ulloum, cleric from Najaf
Ghazi Mashal Ajil al-Yawer, northern tribal chief
Mohsen Abdel Hamid, Iraqi Islamic Party
Samir Shakir Mahmoud
Mahmoud Othman
Salaheddine Bahaaeddin, Kurdistan Islamic Union
Younadem Kana
Mouwafak al-Rabii
Dara Noor Alzin, judge
Sondul Chapouk
Wael Abdul Latif, Basra governor
Abdel-Karim Mahoud al-Mohammedawi, Hezbollah from Amara
Abdel-Zahraa Othman Mohammed, Dawa Party

note...

Hamid Majid Mousa, Communist Party (Shia)

SHAME ON THEM!!! >: >: :knife:
By Delphi
Where did you get you information. According to CNN, the Iraqi Communist Party is not included.
By Boondock Saint
Delphi wrote:Where did you get you information. According to CNN, the Iraqi Communist Party is not included.

LINK

Sure, CNN has the list right there.
By Boondock Saint
I guess CNN didnt feel the communist party warrented their own mention. There are alot of people who werent mentioned in that article ... so ... take from it what you will ... they arent saying the communist party is not a part of it, they just arent saying it is. Then they list all the parties involved including the communist party ... so ... it would seem CNN just didnt think their being involved was of great enough import to be put in the article ...

As for the council itself ... great, I will bother to care when they do more then token holidays.
By Delphi
I agree. At present I see the council as nothing but a puppet. Something to show the Iraqi people, that America isn't the only one who hates Saddam and so on. I hope that the council turns out to work well.
By Proctor
I'm optimistic. The council looks like it will be prepared to actually do things, and should get a decent amount of support. Not as much as anyone would like, but what Provisional Government does?

But then again, since a lot of them are ex-exiles ( ;) ), they will need to earn the trust of the Iraqi people, not just borrow that of their respective parties for a while. Which I don't see as a bad thing.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]