UK votes to exit EU - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

for live updates....

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... -in-europe

So where too from here?

My prediction, the government will negotiate an "exit" that will be so watered down that it will mean little practical difference.

But possibly more interesting is the threat to the union: Scotland and Norther Ireland both voted emphatically to remain. There are already calls for another Scottish referendum, and Sinn Fein has weighed in declaring that Britain no longer has a mandate to represent Northern Ireland interests (though admittedly this is what they've said all along - and according to polls most NIers aren't interested in breaking away).

Thoughts?
By Luna
This is a prime opportunity to kill the UK forever. I firmly support Cameron's ouster, Scottish independence, Irish union, and Johnson's ouster from a short PMship once he's humiliated over those.

England is going to turn right, and that must be opposed; those labor voters who backed Leave will be sorely disappointed on seeing no difference at best and reinvigorated Thatcher-style liberalism at worst. But, it won't be right for long at all if the entire country comes crashing down. It's mostly poetic justice, but has the nifty benefit of weakening the City of London's financial power and showing working-class Englanders why Tories are never a good idea.
Last edited by Luna on 24 Jun 2016 06:10, edited 2 times in total.
By ThirdTerm
I'm not very surprised and the British are very independent-minded people who disliked Brussels' meddling on domestic matters. Thatcher became a hero by renegotiating EU deals on agriculture in the 1980s and Britain has always been a reluctant EU member state. The UK won the rebate in 1984, after Margaret Thatcher threatened to halt payments to the EU budget. The island nation mentality is shared with Japan along with its strategic partnership with the US.

"We are not asking the Community or anyone else for money," she said at a summit in Fontainebleau. "We are simply asking to have our own money back". The UK was then the third poorest member of the Community but was on course to become the biggest net contributor to the EU budget. This was mainly because the UK had relatively few farms, so it got a relatively small share of farm subsidies, which at the time made up 70% of Community expenditure. The formula for determining how much a country paid into the Community budget was also unfavourable to the UK. It was in effect penalised for raising more revenue from VAT than most other member states and importing more goods from countries outside the Community.
By N^G
Well, this is what happens when

a) you treat a member country with utter disdain and

b) jobs keep getting offshored from that country due to lack of protection.

GLHF EU

Where do we go from here? Well for starters my CEO and all the other globalist fat cats are going to go and cry into their soup. Next steps are to wait and see how Cameron & EU react.
BBC is going batshit. Well, Britain will slowly sink below the waves? :?:
Right.
Last edited by Americanroyalty on 24 Jun 2016 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Americanroyalty wrote:BBC is going batshit. Well, Britain will slowly sink below the wave? :?:
Right.

Britain is returning to Anglo sphere which is good. The BBC lost its ideological reference point.
Luna wrote:This is a prime opportunity to kill the UK forever. I firmly support Cameron's ouster, Scottish independence, Irish union, and Johnson's ouster from a short PMship once he's humiliated over those.

England is going to turn right, and that must be opposed; those labor voters who backed Leave will be sorely disappointed on seeing no difference at best and reinvigorated Thatcher-style liberalism at worst. But, it won't be right for long at all if the entire country comes crashing down. It's mostly poetic justice, but has the nifty benefit of weakening the City of London's financial power and showing working-class Englanders why Tories are never a good idea.

I'm in full agreement on all counts. I would love to see a United Ireland and Scottish independence as a result of Brexit. Scotland's "remain" vote won by roughly 5%, and I wonder if recent events could possibly push that towards voting for independence, but I tend to think that most Scots are fine with the status quo and the relative safety and comfort in the bosom of the UK. I'm just not convinced this will push them towards a successful independence vote if a second referendum were held in the coming years, as it would become apparent that it's normal for a currency and economy to fluctuate or slightly devalue in the immediate aftermath of a referendum like Brexit, and that the UK will be more-or-less perfectly fine on its own again. Still, I would like to see it.
By yiostheoy
Luna wrote:This is a prime opportunity to kill the UK forever. I firmly support Cameron's ouster, Scottish independence, Irish union, and Johnson's ouster from a short PMship once he's humiliated over those.

Cameron has resigned effective in October. I heard the words fall from his lips just a few minutes ago on BBC radio.

Scots are already calling for a new vote to exit the UK.

Stunning developments this night from the east end of the Pond.
I expect if there was a referendum, they'd stay in. People are framing this like it was a UK or EU referendum, it wasn't. I expect most people to choose the UK over the EU if they had to pick.

That said, I don't expect a referendum.
By N^G
Istanbuller wrote:Last question: Why do you people prefer those Pakistanis to Polish people (your race brothers and sisters)?

That's quite an assumption
By N^G
Thompson_NCL wrote:That said, I don't expect a referendum.

Depends on what level of economic stability we see in the next 6-12 months or so, as that will affect how loud the voices are regarding scotland indy 2: electric boogaloo

Care: 73 Fairness: 77 Liberty: 83 In-group: 70 Pur[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]