China to build Egypt's new Capital - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Egypt's new capital city moved a step closer to reality with the announcement that Chinese developers will largely fund the megaproject.
The China Fortune Land Development Company (CFLD) agreed to provide $20 billion for the currently unnamed city, after a meeting between heads of the firm and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El Sisi.

This follows a previous commitment of $15 billion from another Chinese state-owned company, bringing the project close to its $45 billion budget requirements for phase I.
Plans for the new capital were first announced in March 2015. Government officials described the development as a solution to crowding, pollution and rising house prices in Cairo.
"Cairo Capital is a momentous endeavor to build national spirit, foster consensus, provide for long-term sustainable growth," said the project website. "(The) new city will create more places to live, work and visit."

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/09/afric ... index.html

Impressive project.
The Chinese seem to build everything theses days. In my country just about every new mega development has a Chinese player behind it. Most of the high tech industries are still dominated by western/Japanese companies though. It looks like the Chinese will catch up so I better learn Mandarin :)
It's fantastic that Egypt has so much money to burn right how that the coup d'etat government can afford to build itself a giant Versailles from which to hide from ordinary Egyptians.

Why not just move the Egyptial government directly to France or some other colonial airport? Might be cheaper than bulding hundreds of mirrored-glass skyscrapers.
No wonder some people believe aliens built the pyramids.

With an artificial Capitol, they are on the same level like Myanmar.

In such artificial Capitol you will never see protests, because just the elite is there, which is far far away from normal problems.

Mubarak was an autocrat, but he was responsible enough not to create, Syria or Lybia. Moursi is the worst they could get
benpenguin wrote:Geez shitmouthing the project already? Before it even started? That's some impressive objectivity.

It's not like this hasn't been done before. Some unelected megalomaniac, lacking credibility, introduces glamorous and expensive projects to pretend to have some kind of vision.

Versailles was built to insulate the corrupt French elite from the population. Brasilia was a scam to steal billions from the state treasury. This one looks like a combination of these two, plus some faux "vision" branding of an empty political class.
QatzelOk wrote:It's not like this hasn't been done before. Some unelected megalomaniac, lacking credibility, introduces glamorous and expensive projects to pretend to have some kind of vision.
Versailles was built to insulate the corrupt French elite from the population. Brasilia was a scam to steal billions from the state treasury. This one looks like a combination of these two, plus some faux "vision" branding of an empty political class.

Well, I don't know about Egypt, but China has built thriving cities with very impressive infrastructures out of nowhere, as well as falling bridges and ghost towns. I wouldn't make judgement so quickly before seeing it some more to decide which one it is...
I am not liberal, so elected or not, I don't give a damn. It would be a difficult undertaking no doubt, but if their ruling class wants to show the Egyptian people that they have got what it takes? Then they better make it work.
'This artificial city is artificial'. It is not natural. This city was built. So artificial. :lol:

Are you missing the point on purpose? :roll:

Planning a city from scratch is a pretty strange thing outside of computer games. Of course it has been done quite a few times in history. Usually at the whim of people with too much power.
layman wrote:Planning a city from scratch is a pretty strange thing outside of computer games. Of course it has been done quite a few times in history. Usually at the whim of people with too much power.

Looking at you, Niyazov.

Brasilia is also of note.

But anyway, the worrying thing is that China can extend a sphere of influence into Africa. If they control development of cities, transportation, telecommunications, etc... the continent is ripe for the plucking.
No it isn't, many capitals were planned and built. Greater Paris was planned. Moscow was planned. Most US and European cities were planned and then built according to grid layouts. Sprawl is a net negative outcome, it is not a bonus. The china ghost town myth is just that, a myth. The bigger and more planned you built it early on, the better when it fills out. You avoid sprawl. For example Chicago used to be neat and tidy, now it has bloated out of its initial masterplan and turned to sprawling shit.
But anyway, the worrying thing is that China can extend a sphere of influence into Africa. If they control development of cities, transportation, telecommunications, etc... the continent is ripe for the plucking.

I am yet to see evidence of imperialism through infrastructure development. At the end of the day, noone will invest in africa big time until they have these basic things. Things they have done a poor job of doing themselves lets be honest.

Obviously the bleeding hearted dont want the west doing it so who? Or sometimes I think they want africans to give up modernity and just go back to the jungle or something.
China is investing in Africa big time. 2 million Chinese are on the ground there conducting projects. $100 billion is being invested annually. China is only interested in African resources. African Politics are irrelevant to Beijing.

From the African nations' point of view, this is a good thing, Igor. The Western and Soviet meddling in African politics during the Cold War had disastrous consequences for them.

Students can protest on campus, but they can't jus[…]

how 'the mismeasure of man' was totally refuted.[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]

It very much is, since it's why there's a war in t[…]