Massive DDoS attack (many IoT devices involved which is a new thing). Did you notice? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3134062/security/an-iot-botnet-was-partly-behind-fridays-massive-ddos-attack.html

I didn't notice it at all. The internet was working just fine for me all day yesterday. That's the thing about DNS services, there are just so many of them around the globe, that the worst you can do is just slow down the internet a little bit. Even with a massive attack.

What makes this attack so special is that a significant number of the high-jacked devices to do the attack were not your traditional desktop/laptops. They were connected devices. Stuff like DVRs, thermostates, routers, etc. etc.

DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google public DNS) probably saw more traffic yesterday. Their DNS services were not attacked.
Last edited by Rancid on 23 Oct 2016 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
I was asleep, but the IoT connections are proving my dim view of them. That we are rushing to put in wifi locks and thermostats and crap without a real need for them and never have any security measures beyond the manufacturer's default password is depressing.
Zagadka wrote:I was asleep, but the IoT connections are proving my dim view of them. That we are rushing to put in wifi locks and thermostats and crap without a real need for them and never have any security measures beyond the manufacturer's default password is depressing.

That the problem with IoT. Security costs money and take time to implement. These IoT device manufacturers want Time To Market (TTM) to be super small. Thus, we're going to see shit like that happening more and more across the globe.

Istanbuller wrote:I didn't notice it, too. It was nice to hear that it damaged the US in some respects. :excited:

As far as I can tell, it just slowed down a few people's connections to a handful of websites.
Something slowed mine down, but I had heard about this earlier,so I assumed this was at the root of the problem.
i'm using a tablet. Yesterday the battery was draining unusually quickly; could this also be connected?
Stormsmith wrote:Something slowed mine down, but I had heard about this earlier,so I assumed this was at the root of the problem.
i'm using a tablet. Yesterday the battery was draining unusually quickly; could this also be connected?

It could be. You might want to virus scan your shit. DDoS attacks are usually carried out by numerous devices that are infected with malware.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]