Genocide in Myanmar and no one cares. - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Rich wrote:Muslims have been getting away with ethnically cleansing Buddhists from western Burma for far too long.

People have been doing people for far too long, I don't think it has anything to do with Buddhists, Burma, or Muslims. The specifics don't really matter, we're just a race of assholes. Homo Assholus.
Decky wrote:Perhaps if the Rohingya were to stop desecrating the Buddhist shrines that the natives worship at and stop trying to spread Islam by force of arms people would have less of a reason to want the to return home to Bangladesh?

Since you did a Rei-like quick-edit, can I ask where you got this information from?
Sorry to disappoint you Skinster but just as I would understand Muslims resiting a hypothetical Buddhist crusade to annex Mecca I also understand the Buddhists not being fans of becoming part of the ummah.

Buddhists have already saw what happens when you allow Muslims to settle in their countries, their countries become Muslim countries (see Malaysia for an example). There are also European examples of the same thing happening to the Orthodox, look at Kosovo.

I am not much of a fan of any religion myself but I can see why someone who religious was would fear the coming of Islam. Abrahamic religions do not tend to like competition, when they come to your country they tend to want to be the only faith.

The Burmese should feel the same about the coming of Muslims as the Palestinians felt when they Jews first started coming over from Europe. Maybe if Palestinians had responded to the invaders as Burma has there would be no Israel today and the natives would be free?

What would make you happy? The whole of south East Asia like Indonesia or Malaysia with the native way of life pre Islamic conquest only of interest to archaeologists? What would you actually like Burma to do? Welcome Muslims in and just accept that fact Burma will just be another Islamic state one day? What would you say to Burmese women who might not fancy the importation of people who would reduce them to an item of property?
Ter wrote:The crisuisgroup report on Myanmar is long but quite thorough in explaining why th Rohyingas are not loved by the Buddhist majority in Burma.

https://www.crisisgroup.org/asia/south- ... er-myanmar

The article also does a reasonable job of explaining why western elites aren't terribly popular.

It isn't too hard to draw parallels between British colonial immigration policies in Burma and current immigration policies in Europe. Nor is it hard to see that the result will be the same. I could also draw parallels between western elite pressure on the Myanmar government and the western pressure on the Israeli government.

Western political morality is quite lame. A possible solution in Burma would be to resettle the Rohyingas in Muslim countries, much as Rhodesian whites and East Indies Dutch colonists were resettled in my country after being 'ethnically cleansed' from their own countries.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Desmond Tutu in an open letter condemns Aung San Suu Kyi over her silence in regards Burma's treatment of Rohingya Muslims...

'If the political price of your ascension to the highest office in Myanmar is your silence, the price is surely too steep' said Desmond Tutu to Aung San Suu Kyi.

Desmond Tutu has joined Malala Yousafzai in condemning fellow Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi over the treatment of the Rohingya Muslim minority in Burma.

Mr Tutu called for Ms Suu Kyi’s intervention to help end the crisis.

The South African, a veteran of the fight against apartheid, said Ms Suu Kyi’s “silence” was “too steep” a price to pay for her position and called on her “to be courageous and resilient again”.

More than 160,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled Burma, also known as Myanmar, into neighbouring Bangladesh since an army crackdown was launched on militants from the minority group on 25 August.

There have been widespread allegations of atrocities against civilians, including the beheading of children and burning of villages.

Ms Suu Kyi, who is Burma’s State Counsellor but spent years under house arrest for opposing the country's military junta, has refused to condemn the army’s actions and blamed “misinformation” for fuelling tensions.

Mr Tutu, who retired in 2010, said he was breaking a vow to “remain silent on public affairs out of profound sadness” for the plight of the Rohingya.

Addressing his “dearly beloved younger sister”, Ms Suu Kyi, in an open letter, Mr Tutu spoke of her previous civil rights work.

But he went on: “The images we are seeing of the suffering of the Rohingya fill us with pain and dread.

We know that you know that human beings may look and worship differently – and some may have greater firepower than others – but none are superior and none inferior; that when you scratch the surface we are all the same... discrimination doesn't come naturally; it is taught.

“My dear sister: If the political price of your ascension to the highest office in Myanmar is your silence, the price is surely too steep. A country that is not at peace with itself, that fails to acknowledge and protect the dignity and worth of all its people, is not a free country.

Rohingya children 'beheaded and burned alive' amid 'genocide' in Burma
“It is incongruous for a symbol of righteousness to lead such a country; it is adding to our pain.

“As we witness the unfolding horror we pray for you to be courageous and resilient again. We pray for you to speak out for justice, human rights and the unity of your people. We pray for you to intervene in the escalating crisis and guide your people back towards the path of righteousness.”

Ms Suu Kyi was awarded the Nobel Peace prize in 1991, which recognised her as Burma’s “modern symbol of freedom” after her decades-long campaign for democracy in the military state.

But despite her ascent in Burmese political life, she has remained largely silent on the Rohingya minority, who are not recognised as citizens of the country.

Though they have been present in Buddhist-majority Burma since pre-colonial times, the Rohingya are often referred to as “Bengalis”, alluding to the myth they are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh.

Earlier this week, Malala also called on Ms Suu Kyi to act to “stop the violence” against the minority group.

“Over the last several years, I have repeatedly condemned this tragic and shameful treatment,” she said.

“I am still waiting for my fellow Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to do the same. The world is waiting and the Rohingya Muslims are waiting.”

She also called on the Rohingya to be given citizenship and for neighbouring countries to support the refugees.

Leaders of Muslim-majority countries have also condemned the violence. President Erdogan of Turkey has branded it a “genocide” and the governments of Malaysia and Thailand have said they are prepared to receive Rohingya refugees.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 35536.html
Decky wrote:Sorry to disappoint you Skinster but just as I would understand Muslims resiting a hypothetical Buddhist crusade to annex Mecca I also understand the Buddhists not being fans of becoming part of the ummah.

Buddhists have already saw what happens when you allow Muslims to settle in their countries, their countries become Muslim countries (see Malaysia for an example). There are also European examples of the same thing happening to the Orthodox, look at Kosovo.

I am not much of a fan of any religion myself but I can see why someone who religious was would fear the coming of Islam. Abrahamic religions do not tend to like competition, when they come to your country they tend to want to be the only faith.

The Burmese should feel the same about the coming of Muslims as the Palestinians felt when they Jews first started coming over from Europe. Maybe if Palestinians had responded to the invaders as Burma has there would be no Israel today and the natives would be free?

What would make you happy? The whole of south East Asia like Indonesia or Malaysia with the native way of life pre Islamic conquest only of interest to archaeologists? What would you actually like Burma to do? Welcome Muslims in and just accept that fact Burma will just be another Islamic state one day? What would you say to Burmese women who might not fancy the importation of people who would reduce them to an item of property?

I asked you where you're getting your information from, not whatever that is above, combined with things about my feelings. Would also be good if you can stay on-topic. :eh:

This is all over the news everywhere which makes me think someone somewhere is interested in Myanmar soil.

I wonder if any Islamic country will give them shelter. Perhaps, a certain Muslim country recently elected to UN Human Rights commission wants to help them out? :roll:
Politiks wrote:I wonder if any Islamic country will give them shelter. Perhaps, a certain Muslim country recently elected to UN Human Rights commission wants to help them out? :roll:

Yes. US and UK ally Saudi Arabia is fucked up.

At least Bangladesh hasn't closed its borders and is accepting Rohingya refugees.

This thread has been going on since last year and I presuppose it will continue for years to come.
skinster wrote:Source?

Possibly Igor Antunov has link.

All I could find is......
20/8/17
The office of Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar state counsellor, said 12 security officials and 59 militants had been killed.........
Despite years of persecution, the Rohingya have largely eschewed violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... r-kills-12

The Rohingya have been harassed by the Myanmar government for many years...
In 2012, while researching civil society resistance to State violence and corruption in Myanmar, ISCI heard reports of widespread State-sanctioned violence and discrimination against Muslims in Myanmar’s north-western Rakhine state. The massacres that occurred that year were not, as the government maintained, simply the product of ‘inter-communal violence’. Rather, they were part of a long-term, systematic strategy by national and regional governments to remove the already persecuted Rohingya minority from the State’s realm of political, social, moral and physical obligation.

http://statecrime.org/data/2015/10/ISCI ... pdf#page22
India, China and probably the US will not censure Myanmar about the Rohyinga issue,
and Aung San Suu Kyi will not attend the upcoming UNGA session.
About 300,000 Rohyinga refugees are now in camps in Bangladesh.
Aid is pouring in.
anarchist23 wrote:Finally the plight of the Rohingya is being publicised but only after decades upon decades of persecution by the state of Myanmar.

If USA can ignore the plan the Muslim Brotherhood created for USA and American continent so can Myanmar pretend this paper never existed 8) In 1929 Muslim Brotherhood dearest created a cute plan for the Americas and set the first Mosque in USA and Brazil simultaneously. In 1991 they created a exclusive cute plan for USA. They started with the creation of 29 agencies inside USA, actually one of those guys was Obama's adviser. Myanmar is woke.

There is no excuse for ethnic cleansing. Absolutely no excuse for it. This is what has been happening to the Rohingya in the last month

UN chief and Security Council call on authorities to halt military action against Muslim-minority in Rakhine state.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and the UN Security Council called on Myanmar's government to end its military campaign against the Rohingya.

The 15-member Security Council met behind closed doors on Wednesday, at the request of Sweden and Britain, to discuss the crisis for the second time since it began and agreed to publicly condemn the situation.

Speaking before the meeting, Antonio Guterres called the situation for the Rohingya refugees "catastrophic" and "completely unacceptable", acknowledging that the minority group was being ethnically cleansed in the Buddhist-majority nation.

Around 370,000 of Myanmar's minority Rohingya population have fled the country's western state of Rakhine into neighbouring Bangladesh in recent weeks, according to the UN.

The violence began on August 25, after Rohingya fighters attacked police posts, prompting a military crackdown.

"I call on the Myanmar authorities to suspend military action, end the violence, uphold the rule of law and recognise the right of return of all those who have had to leave the country," the UN chief said at the press conference in New York.

Guterres' comments mirrored those of UN human rights chief Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein, who denounced the situation in Myanmar as "a textbook example of ethnic cleansing" on Monday.

Al Jazeera's Rosiland Jordan, reporting from the UN headquarters, said it remains to be seen if the Security Council can do anything from a practical standpoint following Wednesday's meeting.

"There is a lot of concern here at the UN about the ongoing crisis," she said. "The question is: who can be held accountable and can the situation be resolved quickly, or is there going to be another looming humanitarian catastrophe?"

The council "expressed concern about reports of excessive violence during the security operations and called for immediate steps to end the violence in Rakhine, de-escalate the situation, re-establish law and order, ensure the protection of civilians ... and resolve the refugee problem."

British UN Ambassador Matthew Rycroft said it was the first statement from the Security Council on Myanmar in nine years.

This comes as Myanmar's national leader Aung San Suu Kyi cancelled her trip to next week's UN General Assembly to deal with the crisis, her office said on Wednesday.

She is due to give her first speech on the situation in a televised address next week.

Aung San Suu Kyi has been widely condemned for lack of moral leadership and compassion in the face of the crisis, denting the Nobel Peace Prize laureate's reputation.

The secretary-general also said he has spoken to Aung San Suu Kyi several times.

Pressure has been mounting on Myanmar to end the recent surge in violence, with the United States calling for protection of civilians and Bangladesh urging safe zones to enable refugees to go home.

Asked if the situation could be described as ethnic cleansing, Guterres replied: "Well I would answer your question with another question: When one-third of the Rohingya population had to flee the country, could you find a better word to describe it?"

Myanmar's government said on Wednesday that 176 Rohingya villages were completely empty as residents fled the recent upsurge in violence.

"This is a dramatic tragedy," Guterres said. "People are dying and suffering at horrible numbers, and we need to stop it. That is my main concern."

The government says about 400 people have been killed in the latest fighting in the western state.

Guterres called on the authorities to allow the UN and NGOs into Rakhine State to provide humanitarian aid.

The UN describes the Rohingya as the world's most persecuted people.

The Rohingya have suffered years of discrimination and have been denied citizenship in Myanmar since 1982.

But Guterres said that the Myanmar government should either grant the Rohingya nationality or legal status that would allow them to live a normal life.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/09/u ... 12622.html
Democracy came to Myanmar, and it turns out that ethnic cleansing was a very popular platform.

The whole thing is wildly dissapointing, but at least it's a chip in the idea that we can bring democracy somewhere and they will magically turn into a liberal western society.
mikema63 wrote:Democracy came to Myanmar, and it turns out that ethnic cleansing was a very popular platform.

The whole thing is wildly dissapointing, but at least it's a chip in the idea that we can bring democracy somewhere and they will magically turn into a liberal western society.

Yes, that sums it up pretty accurately.
Democracy is wildly overrated, It most often does not lead to happy and fair communities.
There are benevolent dictators that do a better job, like the Emirs in the United Arab Emirates.
They have open days where every single citizen has access to for whatever they want to say or complain.

Anyway, it looks as if the Rohyingas are getting screwed.
Muhith called it an indirect aggression

Faruque Ahmed

Finance Minister AMA Muhith has made it clear that Myanmar military is carrying out an indirect aggression on Bangladesh as its military is running a cleansing operation of Rohingya Muslims and pushing them to flee to Bangladesh for safety. It is a rare admission of the truth while the government leaders are busy highlighting the refugee crisis without talking about the security issues to the global community as it comes as a threat to the country’s sovereignty.
Rohingyas are setting up a “satellite state” within the state and its implications will be far reaching if Myanmar does not take them back. As of now, the prospects of these people returning home is bleak, as Myanmar government does not recognize them as their nationals and stripped their citizenship by a law in 2012.

Destabilization feared in the region
Meanwhile national security experts Major General (Ret) AMN Moniruzzaman who also heads a strategic think tank depicted a very terrible scenario from security threats that may ultimately destabilize the region. He said Al-Qaida and Chechen fighters are planning to join the Rohingya fights.
Fighters are also being trained in Indonesia and Malaysia while Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and other Muslim countries are believed to be funding Rohingya resistance for survival of the Muslim community in their land.
In that case tension may also engulf the entire region and Bangladesh may not keep safe from being implicated. In fact Ms Suu Kyi is already blaming Rohingya resistance being coming from Bangladesh side of the common border.

UN calls for action
The government and international agencies are now busy to provide food and shelter to the newly arrived refugees as their number has risen to over 389,000 in the past two weeks. The number of fresh arrivals was reported at 19,000 during 24 hours ending last Tuesday as per UN agencies working at Ukhia and other places where the refugees are entering Bangladesh.
The UN Human Rights Council said the genocide that the Myanmar military is now carrying out looks like ‘a textbook case of ethnic cleansing’. Supreme leader of Buddhism Lord Dalai Lama said Buddha would have been ashamed of what Ms Su Kyi is doing for ethnic purity of the Buddhist nation.
China, Russia, and India – the three powers that have influence over Myanmar are supporting the ethnic cleansing operation.
Sources say, Rohingya youths are organizing to fight back as the Myanmar military and ultra-nationalist Buddhist groups are setting their villages on fire, raping their women, beheading children and carrying mass killing in Muslim localities. What appears strange is that Ms Suu Kyi, the supreme civilian leader of the country is blaming those young men as terrorists from Bangladesh although they are operating from within the Rakhine state identifying them as Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA).
Suu Kyi is not only misleading the world in passing the blame and describing the young people as terrorists while at the same time also trying to suggest that there is no local resistance growing against the Myanmar military oppression at a time when the UN Secretary General warned of growing violence that may destabilize the region if the cleansing operation continues. In a rare letter to the Security Council, The UN Secretary General has also called for strong action against Myanmar to stop the Rohingya genocide.

Opacity of India, China, Russia
It appears that Myanmar army is at its final push to expel all the Rohingyas from their land while China and Russia are apparently shielding the country from UN Security Council’s censures for such a criminal action. India is also siding with Myanmar although Bangladesh has provided it with all kinds of concessions including transit rights and the right to use ports and other infrastructure within the country.
But most significantly, Bangladesh and Indian Prime Ministers had signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on joint defence system for both countries in December last year. While we are not sure of the latest position, but there is no doubt that the Myanmar action is a direct threat to the Bangladesh’s security and sovereignty. Now, in this circumstance, the Indian Prime Minister’s statement supporting action taken by Myanmar military on the Rohinya minority came as a big surprise to the people here. PM Modi issued the statement while visiting Myanmar recently.
Besides, as some critics say, our government made unnecessary purchase of nuclear plant and military hardware from Russia perhaps to win its support at international level, but its continued support of Myanmar’s heinous crime has adding embarrassment to the government. It may be difficult to refute allegations that these countries have united to persecute the Muslim minorities.
China is a household name in Bangladesh and they are treated as good friends of the people here and yet why it has taken the stance which appears to be supporting Myanmar when the later is engaged in a genocidal action against the Rohingya Moslems. While this is clearly a grave humanitarian crisis that has unfolded in past weeks adversely affecting the Rohingyas, but it has also made Bangladesh so much vulnerable to an undeclared aggression by the Myanmar government.

National Unity needed
Myanmar is located in a part of the world which is of strategic value to countries with direct geopolitical interest in the region. At one stage, the US was also seen working overtime to be friendly with the country, especially after Aung Sung Suu Kyi became the virtual head of the government. However, currently, Washington has discarded its earlier policy and took a strong stand against the Myanmar military’s oppressive actions against Rohingya minorities.
Both China and India which has long common borders with Myanmar are also competing with each other to be on the right side of the government for their own strategic and commercial interests. Nobody has any quarrel with the two countries’ pursuing their strategic and commercial interests, but when the country concerned indulges in such grave criminal activities such as ethnic cleansing, such mundane interest could be side stepped.
Bangladesh government has intensified diplomatic campaign to master greater support of the global community to end the crisis and getting immense response. But the acute leadership crisis within the country and in the absence of the foresight of the ruling party leadership to call for national unity to deal with the situation much more strongly is lacking. This is likely to weaken the country’s stand.
However, response from international community to protect Rohingya people is growing and aid commitments are rising. But a final solution of the repatriation of the Rohingyas is far out of sight.
Many believe that the government must involve people from all segments of political life to raise voice against Myanmar military’s atrocities and prove that Bangladesh people are capable to defend their country.
The Myanmar government is now denying that Rohingyas are not their nationals. But in an agreement with Bangladesh signed in 1992, Myanmar government agreed to take back 236,599 Rohingyas from Bangladesh as their nationals. Now it can’t deny them as its national and their right to return to their home. Myanmar must be made to agree to a dialogue to negotiate. In this context, the role of China, India and Russia, among other countries, is crucial.

http://www.weeklyholiday.net/Homepage/P ... D=2&date=0

Note: this weekly newspaper is called "Holiday" but is in fact the only serious newspaper that is critical to the government. It was founded during one of the periods that the country was under dictatorship and no new newspapers were allowed. By calling it "Holiday" they thought it is a publication for tourism.

@litwin is clearly an Alex Jones type conspir[…]

It is true that the Hindu's gave us nothing. But […]

I dont buy it, Why would anyone go for a vacation […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]