EU says summons Turkish ambassador over Erdogan comments - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Yahoo News wrote:EU says summons Turkish ambassador over Erdogan comments

Reuters March 23, 2017

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Commission said on Thursday it had summoned the Turkish ambassador to explain comments by President Tayyip Erdogan that Europeans would not be able to "walk safely on the streets" if they kept up their current attitude toward Turkey.

Turkey's relations with the European Union have become particularly strained after two member states canceled planned campaign rallies on their territory by Turkish ministers ahead of an April 16 referendum on boosting Erdogan's powers.

Germany and the Netherlands cited security concerns for their decision, but Erdogan has accused them of using "Nazi methods" and of trampling on free speech.

On Wednesday Erdogan said: "If Europe continues this way, no European in any part of the world can walk safely on the streets. Europe will be damaged by this. We, as Turkey, call on Europe to respect human rights and democracy."

The Commission, the EU's executive arm, is seeking an explanation from Turkey's envoy to the 28-nation bloc, a spokeswoman said.

"On these specific comments, we have actually asked the Turkish foreign delegate to the EU to come to the EEAS (the Commission's foreign policy service) today for a meeting," the spokeswoman said.

Turkey's mission to the EU had no immediate comment.

(Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska and Waverly Colville; Editing by Robin Emmott and Gareth Jones)

Let's hope it won't escalate to any kind of war between the EU and Turkey!

Or maybe it should? :eek:
International diplomacy hardly seems like Erdogans strong suit. Galvanizing his base in order to make power grab? In a post-Trump world that is practically legitimate (although despicable).

Yes, it should fall to the EU to placate this madman. I think Neville Chamberlain had the same idea once but what are the alternatives?
MadMonk wrote:International diplomacy hardly seems like Erdogans strong suit. Galvanizing his base in order to make power grab? In a post-Trump world that is practically legitimate (although despicable).

Erdogan and Trump just cannot do subtle diplomacy because it's an establishment thing basically. They mean to represent the people not the establishment, so they do diplomacy like they are in a pub.

MadMonk wrote:Yes, it should fall to the EU to placate this madman. I think Neville Chamberlain had the same idea once but what are the alternatives?

I don't see how this parallel is supposed to be valid. :?:
It is not a valid comparison but it will be the sentiment that will echo throughout the european population, if one continues to attempt to nullify what is perceived as a hostile entity towards not only the political structures of the EU but against the civilian population as well. Erdogan is not Hitler and we are not on the brink of WWII and yet...

Stupidity, of course, but I'm increasingly seeing how emotions can be manipulated by those that crave power and in a post-fact world where every scientific fact seemingly has an agenda, how long can our leaders stem the tide of popular appeal?
There are 3 weeks left to Turkish referendum of Erdogan's constitutional amendments.

It is clear by now he is unable to explain those damn amendments to general public.

It was also clear that up to 80% of nationalist MHP followers would vote "Nay" in the referendum.

What he is trying now is pulling up a rabbit out of a hat: Bash Europeans, talk like nationalists and seduce them.

Be sure that he will give Europeans a nice, wet and sloppy kiss of peace, once the referendum is over.

Yes, it is shameless.

Yet, though I detest it, it seems shamelessness is a common characteristics of all politicians having a long career.
Rugoz wrote:People get the politicians they deserve. What is worrying is that saying stuff like that apparently wins him votes. I mean it makes Trump look like an angel.

America is still not Turkey, although I wonder if we'll see a fist fight in Congress in the Trump era. :lol:

Vanasalus wrote:Be sure that he will give Europeans a nice, wet and sloppy kiss of peace, once the referendum is over.

I'm also sure about that. Erdogan's rhetoric is just that, rhetoric.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Then why do Mexicans keep going to USA? IIRC, […]

@Pants-of-dog If you put it to a vote, you'd fin[…]

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]