USN warships strike Syrian airbase, Russia warned in advance - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/arti ... gas-attack

The U.S. launched a cruise missile attack against Syria two days after Bashar al-Assad’s regime used poison gas to kill scores of civilians, an act that drew international condemnation and that President Donald Trump called “an affront to humanity.”

The strike early Friday morning in Syria targeted hangars, planes and fuel tanks at one Syrian military airfield, according to a U.S. official. The U.S. attacked with about 60 Raytheon Co. Tomahawk cruise missiles fired from two Navy destroyers.

The task of military planners was made riskier by the presence of Russian forces in Syria to support Bashar al-Assad’s regime in its battle against rebel groups that include Islamic State and al-Qaeda fighters but also some backed by the U.S.

The decision to strike in Syria marked a stark reversal for Trump, who during his presidential campaign faulted past U.S. leaders for getting embroiled in conflicts in the Middle East. But he said this week that deaths of children among the more that 70 killed in the April 4 attack, images of which were broadcast worldwide, crossed “beyond red lines” and changed his thinking.

Xi Meeting

The attack occurred while Trump was at his Florida estate after a dinner with Chinese President Xi Jinping, where they were to discuss what to do about North Korea’s nuclear program and U.S.-China trade disagreements. Traveling to Mar-a-Lago from Washington on Thursday, Trump spoke to reporters aboard Air Force One about Assad, saying “what happened in Syria is a disgrace to humanity. And he’s there, and I guess he’s running things. So something should happen.”

Soon after, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson appeared in a hastily arranged news conference in Florida -- his first in the U.S. since he was confirmed for the job -- ostensibly to discuss Xi’s visit. But the real intent was to address the Syria issue, according to a State Department official who asked not to be identified because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly about the matter.

The gas attack, Tillerson said, “violates all previous UN resolutions, violates international norms and long-held agreements between parties, including the Syrian regime, the Russian government, and all other members of the UN Security Council.”

The attack “requires a serious response,” he said. Tillerson also had stern words for Russia.

“It is very important that the Russian government consider carefully their continued support for the Assad regime,” he said at the Palm Beach airport.

While Tillerson told reporters that “steps are under way” to mobilize a coalition to remove Assad, he said that effort would probably come after Islamic State terrorists in the country are defeated and some stability returns to the Middle East country.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/06/the-us-w ... icial.html

BREAKING: US military has launched more than 50 missiles aimed at Syria
The US warned the Russians ahead of Syria missile strikes: Official
Everett Rosenfeld | @Ev_Rosenfeld
9 Mins Ago
CNBC.com
The U.S. warned the Russians before launching at least 59 tomahawk missiles aimed at Syria, NBC News reported, citing a U.S. official.
The strikes, which hit an airfield near Homs, struck aircraft and infrastructure including the runway, NBC reported. There is no word on casualties yet, but no people were targeted, the official told NBC.
No Russian assets were targeted, according to the report.

Russia's deputy U.N. envoy, Vladimir Safronkov, warned earlier Thursday of "negative consequences" if the U.S. carried out military strikes on Syria over the attack.
"We have to think about negative consequences, negative consequences, and all the responsibility if military action occurred will be on shoulders of those who initiated such doubtful and tragic enterprise," Safronkov told reporters when asked about possible U.S. strikes, adding that such consequences could be seen in Iraq and Libya.
President Donald Trump is set to publicly address the strike later Thursday, according to reports.
Western countries have blamed President Bashar al-Assad's armed forces for Tuesday's attack in the town of Khan Sheikhoun in a rebel-held area of northern Syria hit by government air strikes. Syria's government has denied responsibility.
The United States, Britain and France proposed a draft U.N. resolution on Tuesday to condemn the attack and press Syria to cooperate with international investigators. Russia said the text was unacceptable and proposed a rival draft.
In February, Syrian ally Russia, backed by China, cast its seventh veto to protect Assad's government from council action, blocking a bid by Western powers to impose sanctions over accusations of chemical weapons attacks. China has vetoed six resolutions on Syria.
A Security Council resolution needs nine votes in favor and no vetoes by the United States, Britain, France, Russia or China to pass.
Russians were warned hours before. 60 missiles at one target? Looks like a stunt. Putin doesn't succumb to bluffs, He will double down his support for SAA faction and probably restart rebel offensives in eastern ukraine. Trump was forced to act by a compromised regime. Either he leaves it at this or loses his support base.
Sorry Igor, Assad is fucked. Best run off to Tehran or Moscow if I were him. Live out a comfy life in exile.

Bluffing is one thing, but the US doesn't suddenly talk about regime change so openly if they don't intend to do something. Especially for a new administration who has to be seen to walk the talk after spending so much political capital on attacking Obama of not walking the talk. I have no doubt the decision within the white house has already been made. I expect Russia will tow the line and stand aside. When push comes to shove, not even Putin is going to stand in the way of the US.

Yes it will take a while, and it will almost certainly be another clusterfuck like Libya, but did anyone seriously expect the US to learn anything? For now, all Trump is thinking about is showing off his big cock.
Repost from the Trump thread: I'm hoping Trump doesn't escalate this and is just making what he views as a mandatory response to serious allegations. The fact that Russia was warned of this ahead of time means Assad was warned of it ahead of time, so there is still a chance this doesn't result in a return to the status quo re: ISIS and Syria.
GandalfTheGrey wrote:Sorry Igor, Assad is fucked. Best run off to Tehran or Moscow if I were him. Live out a comfy life in exile.

Bluffing is one thing, but the US doesn't suddenly talk about regime change so openly if they don't intend to do something. Especially for a new administration who has to be seen to walk the talk after spending so much political capital on attacking Obama of not walking the talk. I have no doubt the decision within the white house has already been made. I expect Russia will tow the line and stand aside. When push comes to shove, not even Putin is going to stand in the way of the US.

Yes it will take a while, and it will almost certainly be another clusterfuck like Libya, but did anyone seriously expect the US to learn anything? For now, all Trump is thinking about is showing off his big cock.

What a ridiculous without merit analysis, Putin cannot just walk away...you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about do you?
Zagadka wrote:What does him having won the election matter? He has demonstrated that he doesn't have plans for things. But that is off topic.

He has demonstrated that the establishment views him as a threat, otherwise he has done more good in his time then the traitor Obama and the baboon Bush did in all their combined presidencies.
Russian forces were warned 1 hour before (putin may not have been), who would have warned Syrian forces at the airbase, thus initial reports of no casualties (unconfirmed). To crater a 2km-3km airfield beyond use take a large number of 450kg warheads, which matches up with the 50-60 used.

If there are no other escalations in the coming hours, it would make this a clumsy political stunt given the timing (Chinese president meeting in Florida).
This changes the calculus in capitals around the world. Now we know that Trump will use American military forces readily.

Putin is in a trick bag over this. He dare not confront the US in the region. We have overwhelming force there and he would be embarrassed right quickly. He has no military option.

Will the US depose Assad? I doubt it.

This is a pretty smart move. It is politically very good for Trump WRT Russia. We did, notification notwithstanding, attack a base that housed Russian military people and bombed a strong ally of Russia.

This is a black eye for Putin and there is no way to spin it otherwise. Now we wait and see.
Drlee wrote:This changes the calculus in capitals around the world. Now we know that Trump will use American military forces readily.

Putin is in a trick bag over this. He dare not confront the US in the region. We have overwhelming force there and he would be embarrassed right quickly. He has no military option.

Will the US depose Assad? I doubt it.

This is a pretty smart move. It is politically very good for Trump WRT Russia. We did, notification notwithstanding, attack a base that housed Russian military people and bombed a strong ally of Russia.

This is a black eye for Putin and there is no way to spin it otherwise. Now we wait and see.

Both sides will play this as a victory, but as long as my enemies get crushed I could not care less which side gets the bombs.
A waste of money and effort. This will not affect Assad one way or the other. Frankly, the reality is this was a warning to Iran more than anything. That being said, still a waste...those missiles should have been targeted at ISIS. We are 20 trillion dollars in debt, and missiles don't grow on trees, they are expensive, and should be used wisely.

We need to stay out of the Syria civil war. Shoot the missiles at ISIS in Syria and elsewhere, and leave both sides of Syria alone. Even if we helped the Syrian rebels to win, they would appreciate it for about ten seconds, then go back to hating us again.

Trump campaigned on not being the policeman of the world. Did he forget his own campaign speech already? Sorry to say if Trump keeps up activity such as this, and he's thinking about Yemen as well...the Republicans will get trounced in the 2018 midterms...and it pains me badly to say that.
I'm not sure if what "this is just a stunt" is supposed to mean. They warned the Russians, then obliterated the base Assad's planes allegedly took off from to carry out a chemical attack on civilians. I'd say this was a powerful message and there is no doubt they really mean Assad has to go. This was quick and firm, nothing like the screwing around we saw from Obama.
Last edited by Beren on 07 Apr 2017 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
Oxymoron wrote:He has demonstrated that the establishment views him as a threat, otherwise he has done more good in his time then the traitor Obama and the baboon Bush did in all their combined presidencies.

All that he's demonstrated so far is that he is just another establishment puppet. What good has he done exactly so far? The only thing I recall is that he saved a few thousand jobs that one time in his first day in office, and spent the rest of that time filling executive positions with neocons.

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Actually it is unknown whether humans and chimps […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]