China prepares for US attack on North Korea with a deployment of 150,000 troops on border. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

China has launched a new aircraft carrier in the latest sign of its growing military strength.
It is the country's second aircraft carrier, after the Liaoning, and the first to be made domestically.
The as-yet unnamed ship was transferred into the water in the north-eastern port of Dalian, state media said. It will reportedly be operational by 2020.
It comes amid heated rhetoric between the US and North Korea and ongoing tensions in the South China Sea.
China has had only one operational aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, which it bought from Ukraine and refitted.
The US has deployed warships and a submarine to the Korean peninsula, prompting an angry reaction from North Korea. China has urged calm.
Why Beijing should lead on the North Korean crisis
Why is the South China Sea contentious?
A big step for Beijing, by the BBC's China Correspondent Stephen McDonell
The sight of a bottle of champagne hitting the bow of a new Chinese-built aircraft carrier will worry many.
Western military intelligence will be poring over the television footage. For them it's not emotional: cold calculations are being made.
They see a not quite finished vessel, a few years from full service, partly based on Soviet-era design.
It's technologically inferior to the ten aircraft carriers being used by the United States Navy - but there's no doubt that it's a big step for China.
China's aircraft carrier programme is a state secret, but it's hard to imagine this country being satisfied with two of them.
The US says all options are on the table to remove North Korea's nuclear weapons - and it is using the USS Carl Vinson battle group to press the point.
That's the kind of power that China wants - and that's why we haven't seen the last Chinese aircraft carrier rolling off the production line in the Dalian shipyard.

BBC
Looking at this footage, it seems that the US and South Korea are sabre rattling as well. We have here the largest joint military exercise ever, held this week.

Edit
By anarchist23 - Wed 26 Apr 2017, 13:44
A US missile strike on North Korea "would have absolutely cataclysmic, disastrous consequences," the former US ambassador to China has warned.

Max Baucus, who was the US ambassador to China for President Barack Obama, said it "should not be categorically discounted" that President Donald Trump could order an attack on the authoritarian state.
"After all President Trump ordered that strike on Syria, and he's a macho kind of guy, which makes all of us a bit nervous," the former senator told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme.
"But I'm sure that the Pentagon and state department, all his advisers have explained to him that a missile strike initiated by the United States at this time would have absolutely cataclysmic, disastrous consequences and I think he's wise enough not to want to have that on his watch."
North Korea conducted live-fire artillery drills and a US guided-missile submarine arrived in South Korea on Tuesday, as the Trump administration prepared what Mr Baucus called an "extraordinary" White House briefing for all 100 senators on the escalating nuclear threat.
They will be briefed by Secretary of Defence James Mattis, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and General Joseph Dunford.
"During the roughly 40 years I served in Congress I never remember a meeting of 100 members going to the White House on a national security issue," Mr Baucus said.
"I can only surmise the president is trying to set the stage for action he may take later, that may be diplomatic action, it might be military. It's extraordinary, I'm very surprised by this."
When asked if Mr Trump had called the meeting to capture a sense of theatre and support for military action, Mr Baucus cautioned: "That's possible but let's remember our president is quite theatrical anyway. He makes quite bold statements.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 02481.html
Trump is an opportunist and milking the North Korea crisis for all it is worth, trying to divert attention from his failed policies at home.

Donald Trump seems to have recognised North Korea as a defining issue of his presidency.
He has been sending military hardware to the region, ending America's "era of strategic patience", pressuring China to exert influence on its ally and urging the UN Security Council to impose new sanctions on Pyongyang.
But perhaps the most theatrical element of all of this geopolitical choreography occurred at home, when he "invited" (summoned) the entire US Senate to the White House for a briefing on the issue.
Charitably, this is evidence of a world leader taking the threat of an escalating nuclear crisis very seriously and urging his colleagues to do the same.
Cynically, the image of grown men and women being loaded on to buses and shipped to the headmaster's office for a stern talking-to projects an image of unmistakable power and influence.
As Trump approaches his 100 day marker, with all the scrutiny that entails, this very much suits him...
With crisis and drama comes a chance to distract from real problems at home: the failed healthcare bill, problems funding the border wall, opposition from federal judges on travel bans, an FBI investigation into collusion with Russia.
In the end there were no great revelations from the unusual Senate briefing.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and top defence and intelligence officials merely repeated, in a statement, that North Korea represented an urgent and growing national security threat.
They said the Trump administration believed pressure on Pyongyang could be exerted through diplomacy and increased economic sanctions, but that America stood ready to defend herself and her allies should it be necessary.
In other words, unless they were given some explosive classified material that no-one is talking about, there wasn't an obvious reason to haul approximately 100 people in to the White House as the world's cameras watched.

http://news.sky.com/story/trump-is-milk ... h-10852463
Frollein wrote:Do you think the nuclear hellfire will be able to heat my popcorn from over there?

LA is on the fringe range of NK's projected capabilities... but that is assuming they are competent. I think I'll be safe, at least. I would be nervous in Japan or SK, though. Kim seems insane enough to nuke where it would literally pour into his own country if he feels like he is going to lose power.

I think this all hinges on what China does. The US won't put boots on the ground but could provide a shitload of air dominance.

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]

If the Brits ever come to their senses, that will[…]

Not much, commercial real estate is boom or bust.[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]