Chelsea Manning finally released. Is she a traitor or a heroine? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Is she a traitor or a heroine? Any comments?

Pvt. Chelsea Manning was released from Fort Leavenworth military prison Wednesday after serving seven years of a 35-year sentence for leaking thousands of diplomatic cables and other secret documents to WikiLeaks, the U.S. Army said.

Cynthia Smith, an Army spokesperson, confirmed that Manning had left Fort Leavenworth's United States Disciplinary Barracks but declined to provide additional information because of privacy act restrictions. BuzzFeed reported that she was freed at 2 a.m. CT.

The transgender soldier, 29, who entered prison as a man named Bradley Manning, will remain an active-duty, unpaid soldier, eligible for health care and other benefits while her court-martial conviction remains under appeal, said Dave Foster, an Army spokesman. She will also have access to commissaries and military exchanges, but will not be paid.

Manning was arrested outside a U.S. Army base in Iraq in May 2010. Her 2013 sentence was commuted in the final days of the Obama administration, a move that infuriated some in the military and President Trump. She would have been eligible for parole in six years.

Chelsea Manning to remain on active duty, receive health care after prison release
More than 100 troops seeking transgender care
Nancy Hollander, Manning's lawyer, told the BBC: "She's ready to finally be able to live as the woman that she is."

Hollander told the Guardian: “People keep assuming that just because someone is released their appeal is over. The rest of her case is still out there and we want to clear her name. She was convicted of crimes that I don’t believe she committed and her whole prosecution was unfair.”

On Monday, a tweet from Manning's account said: "Two more days until the freedom of civilian life ^_^ Now hunting for private #healthcare like millions of Americans =P"

The Pulse Films production company announced at the Cannes Film Festival in France that Manning will be filmed for a documentary upon her release Wednesday.

Manning’s mother Susan Manning, from Wales in the United Kingdom, told the Guardian: “It is going to be very hard for her to readjust after so long inside the prison’s four walls and I’m happy she will be staying in Maryland where she has family to look out for her. Chelsea is so intelligent and talented, I hope she now has the chance to go to college to complete her studies, and to do and be whatever she wants. My message to Chelsea? Two words: ‘Go, girl!’”

Courage Foundation, an international organization that supports people who place themselves at risk to contribute to historical records; Reporters Without Borders Germany and the German-based nonprofit Wau Holland Foundation, which says it supports moral courage in the digital realm, started a fundraising campaign Wednesday to help Manning pay for her legal appeal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 101783186/
I think firstly he is definitely mentally ill, as far as traitor or hero....if he was careful in the information released then maybe you can claim it is heroic, but doing it wholesale put people in danger, and undermined US national interest without much return on investment as far as transparency goes. Even most open government folks would agree that somethings should be held confidential if a state is to function.
A heroine. Allowing the state to hide secrets is simply not acceptable and we need to expand protections for whistle blowers. SHE did s good service for our country. To everyone else, please respect her gender identity. Trans discrimination does not belong in the 21st century.

[center-img]https://i1.wp.com/leftycartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2017/01/trans-special-treatment2.png[/center-img]
Every state has secrets that need to be kept secret at almost any cost: anyone who thinks otherwise is exceedingly naive.

Manning leaked a lot of juicy stuff. Ultimately, of course, nothing has changed and everything is still business as usual.
But obviously, calling him "he" hurts a lot of special snowflake feelings, so yeah. :)

Of course it doesn't "hurt" mentally ill persons when someone points out their delusion - if they had the mental capacity for that, they wouldn't suffer the delusion in the first place. That doesn't mean I have to participate in their play pretend.
It doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. It's just being an asshole.

I'm really sad that you are uneducated enough to believe that a person's sexual orientation is a matter of a mental illness, especially since doctors don't even classify it as such. Obviously, you are insanely ignorant about this topic, and should probably just decline to comment on things beyond your ken, Frollein.
Godstud wrote:It doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. It's just being an asshole.

I'm really sad that you are uneducated enough to believe that a person's sexual orientation is a matter of a mental illness, especially since doctors don't even classify it as such. Obviously, you are insanely ignorant about this topic, and should probably just decline to comment on things beyond your ken, Frollein.

Godstud wrote:It doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. It's just being an asshole.

Sexual orientation is homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual (and let's not talk about some of the more freakish orientations like zoophilia, mkay?). Being delusional about whether you are a man or a woman has nothing to do with who gets you horny.

So no, not buying into SJW gender crap doesn't make me anything except disagreeing with your wholly subjective opinion. And perhaps you should stop telling people on a discussion forum on which topic they are allowed to comment. Who died and made you the fucking admin?
As usual, some people cannot seem to avoid talking at length about irrelevant things like transgenderism. While I would love to hear them talk on and on about how much they do not care (lol) about trans people, this is not the subject of the thread.

I think Manning is a heroine for trying to attain the transparency that liberal countries are supposed to have. And anyone who self identifies as a liberal (in the classic sense, which includes conservatives) should also applaud her efforts, as they are in keeping with the basic tenets of liberal democracy.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachment[…]

On the epidemic of truth inversion

Environmental factors and epigenetic expressions […]