May to confront Trump as UK police stop sharing attack information with U.S. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Yahoo News wrote:May to confront Trump as UK police stop sharing attack information with U.S.

By Kate Holton and Andrew Yates

Reuters May 25, 2017

LONDON/MANCHESTER (Reuters) - British police stopped sharing information about the Manchester suicide bombing with the United States on Thursday after leaks to U.S. media that police said had risked compromising their investigations.

Prime Minister Theresa May said she would tell U.S. President Donald Trump that intelligence shared between their two countries had to remain secure, in a rare public show of dissatisfaction with Britain's closest security ally.

Police are holding eight people in custody in connection with the attack on a packed concert hall, which killed 22 people. Manchester's Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said the arrests were significant.

"I want to reassure people that the arrests that we have made are significant, and initial searches of premises have revealed items that we believe are very important to the investigation," he told reporters.

A source with knowledge of the investigation told Reuters the bomber, Salman Abedi, might have made the bomb himself or with some assistance from an accomplice. That was a change from previous thinking that a bomb-maker might be at large.

"The focus is still the search for accomplices and the network but he could have made this bomb himself," the source said.

The official threat level in Britain was raised after the attack to "critical", its highest level, meaning a further attack could be imminent.

Troops have been deployed to free up police officers for patrols and investigations, and on Thursday the British Transport Police said armed officers would patrol trains for the first time.

Hopkins said on Wednesday that Abedi was part of a network.

Born in Manchester to Libyan parents, the 22-year-old had recently returned from Libya, according to interior minister Amber Rudd.

He blew himself up at the Manchester Arena indoor venue after a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande, whose fan base is made up largely of children and teenagers. The victims ranged from an eight-year-old schoolgirl to parents who had come to pick up their children.

The attack also injured 116 people, of whom 75 were admitted to hospital and 23 remain in a very serious condition, health authorities said on Thursday.

DISTRESS

Hopkins said the leaks of details of the investigation to U.S. media, which included forensic photographs of the bomb site published by the New York Times, had been hurtful to the families of the victims.

"It is absolutely understandable the distress and upset that this caused to these families that are already suffering," he said.

May said she would talk to Trump at a NATO summit later on Thursday about the leaks.

"I will make clear to President Trump that intelligence that is shared between our law enforcement agencies must remain secure," she said in a televised statement.

The decision to stop sharing police information with U.S. agencies was an extraordinary step as Britain sees the United States as its closest ally on security and intelligence.

"This is until such time as we have assurances that no further unauthorised disclosures will occur," said a counter-terrorism source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The BBC said later Interior Minister Rudd was now confident the leaks, which she had described as irritating, would now stop.

The most senior U.S. diplomat in Britain condemned the leaks as "reprehensible" and said the U.S. government would take action to identify those responsible and stop them.

British authorities did not say that the investigation had in fact been compromised by the leaks.

Many European cities, including Paris, Berlin and Brussels, have suffered attacks in the last two years, underlining the importance of confidential intelligence cooperation.

Britain routinely shares intelligence with the United States bilaterally, and also as part of the "Five Eyes" network which also includes Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

Trump was widely criticised this month after it emerged he had discussed sensitive Syria-related intelligence, originating from an ally, with Russian officials at a White House meeting. May said at the time Britain would continue to share information with Washington.

"A CITY UNITED"

Queen Elizabeth visited the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, where some of the casualties have been treated.

A minute's silence was observed in honour of the victims at a square in central Manchester, after which crowds broke into an emotional chorus of "Don't Look Back in Anger", an old hit song by the band Oasis who are from the city.

The city's two giant soccer clubs, Manchester United and Manchester City, laid aside their fierce rivalry to jointly donate 1 million pounds ($1.3 million) to an emergency fund set up to support families affected by the attack. They labelled their initiative "A City United".

The bombing, targeting as it did children and teenagers, has caused revulsion across the world.

British media have reported that one of the eight people under arrest is Abedi's brother but police have not confirmed that. Abedi's father and younger brother were arrested in Tripoli in Libya.

The pictures published by the New York Times included remains of the bomb and of the rucksack carried by the suicide bomber, and showed blood stains amid the wreckage.

"I think it's pretty disgusting," said Scott Lightfoot, a Manchester resident, speaking outside a train station in the city. He criticised media for publishing such material.

"Who's leaking it? Where's it coming from? This is British intelligence at the end of the day, people shouldn't be finding out about this."

The Financial Times reported that such images are available across a restricted-access encrypted special international database used by government ordnance and explosives experts in about 20 countries allied with Britain. It said the database was built around a longstanding U.S.-British system.

U.S. channel ABC News reported that police had found a kind of bomb-making workshop in Abedi's home and he had apparently stockpiled enough chemicals to make additional bombs.

(Additional reporting by Kylie MacLellan, Andy Bruce, Alistair Smout, William James, William Schomberg and Paul Sandle; Writing by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Guy Faulconbridge and Ralph Boulton)

Image'Hey Mr. President, your administration leaks rivers! You should build a dam too perhaps!'
Yahoo News wrote:Trump says intelligence leaks 'deeply troubling'

Reuters May 25, 2017

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - U.S. President Trump vowed on Thursday to bring anyone caught leaking U.S. intelligence to justice after British police stopped sharing information about the Manchester suicide bombing with the United States.

In a statement released after Trump arrived at the NATO military alliance, the president said he would seek an official review to stop leaks that he said posed a serious security threat.

"The alleged leaks coming out of government agencies are deeply troubling," Trump said in the statement. "I am asking the Department of Justice and other relevant agencies to launch a complete review of this matter, and if appropriate, the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

He said the relationship between the United States and Britain was the most cherished of all U.S. ties.

(Reporting by Steve Holland, writing by Robin Emmott; editing by Philip Blenkinsop)

Trump had to admit his leaking administration is a serious security threat right after he arrived at NATO. :lol:
Suntzu wrote:I wonder why the fact that the suicide bomber was a Muslim was a secret? :lol:

Trying to conceal the identity of the attacker in order to more effectively search for possible accomplices means, in your worldview, a cover-up to suit a political agenda.

The depths of your delusion or willingness to troll with victims still in the hospital to suit your own political agenda never ceases to amaze me.
MadMonk wrote:Trying to conceal the identity of the attacker in order to more effectively search for possible accomplices means, in your worldview, a cover-up to suit a political agenda.

The depths of your delusion or willingness to troll with victims still in the hospital to suit your own political agenda never ceases to amaze me.

Let me see if I understand this, all the accomplices of the suicide bomber knows who he was, the cops and important people know who he was, the only folks who should know who he was is us, the folks in danger of being killed. :lol:
suntzu wrote:all the accomplices of the suicide bomber knows who he was

When the police offer a name, it gives an indication to his accomplices as to how far along in their investigation the police are.

This could possibly lead them to go underground earlier.

suntzu wrote:[...] the cops and important people know who he was [...]

I have no idea why you seem to believe that, with some investigations, it doesn't serve the investigation to keep some details hidden from the public.

suntzu wrote:[...] the only folks who should know who he was is us, the folks in danger of being killed [...]

Knowing the name of the attacker won't help them avoid being killed, all it does is increase the number of journalists camped outside his house, making the investigation more difficult.

Just to repeat MadMonk's point, and mine from the first line, releasing this sort of information at that stage in the investigation helps no-one but the attackers.
The Financial Times reported that such images are available across a restricted-access encrypted special international database used by government ordnance and explosives experts in about 20 countries allied with Britain. It said the database was built around a longstanding U.S.-British system.

I don't think someone directly working for the Trump administration is responsible for the leaks, given Trump's animus relationship with the New York Times. The database may have been accessed by a government official who has established close ties with the paper since previous administrations.
Apart from the name of the terrorist crime scene photos were leaked as well. The US has a small but serious problem with the integrity of its intelligence service.

I doubt that Trump had any objections to May bringing this up. He's quite likely as keen as her to stop the leaks!

Anyway, information sharing has been continued shortly afterwards. I suspect this involved assurances that the number of people having automatic access to the information would be limited.

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

Iran's attack on the Zionist entity, a justified a[…]

No seems to be able to confront what the consequen[…]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712