Trump Acknowledges He Is Under Investigation in Russia Inquiry (NYT misleading title as usual) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

New York Times
By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and CHARLIE SAVAGEJUNE 16, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Trump acknowledged publicly for the first time on Friday that he was under investigation in the expanding inquiry into Russian influence in the election, and he appeared to attack the integrity of the Justice Department official in charge of leading it.

In an early-morning tweet, the president declared that he was “being investigated” for his decision to fire James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director. And he seemed to accuse Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, of leading a “witch hunt.”

The tweet was the first explicit concession by the president that Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel for the Russia inquiry, had begun examining whether Mr. Trump’s firing of Mr. Comey last month was an attempt to obstruct the investigation.

And Mr. Trump’s apparent reference to Mr. Rosenstein, who oversees the Russia investigation because Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from it, came just hours after an oddly worded statement from Mr. Rosenstein complaining about leaks in the case.

In the statement, Mr. Rosenstein wrote that “Americans should exercise caution before accepting as true any stories attributed to anonymous ‘officials,’ particularly when they do not identify the country — let alone the branch or agency of government — with which the alleged sources supposedly are affiliated.”

He added: “Americans should be skeptical about anonymous allegations. The Department of Justice has a long-established policy to neither confirm nor deny such allegations.”

Mr. Rosenstein’s statement followed two articles by The Washington Post that cited unnamed officials, one saying that Mr. Mueller’s investigation had widened to include whether Mr. Trump committed obstruction of justice, the other that it was looking at financial transactions involving Jared Kushner, the president’s adviser and son-in-law. After the statement, The Post updated the Kushner article so that its first sourcing reference was to “U.S. officials.”

The highly unusual statement by the deputy attorney general raised the question of whether Mr. Trump or some other White House official had asked him to publicly discredit the reports. Part of the revelations surrounding the Russia investigation and the firing of Mr. Comey has been that Mr. Trump repeatedly pushed top intelligence officials to say in public that Mr. Trump was not personally under investigation and that there was no evidence of collusion between his campaign and Russia in its interference in the 2016 election.

But there was some evidence that Mr. Rosenstein’s motivation may instead have been his own mounting frustration at seeing details of the law enforcement investigation appear nearly daily in the news media.

A Justice Department official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal matters, said that no one had asked Mr. Rosenstein to make the statement and that he acted on his own

Still, the statement, followed by Mr. Trump’s tweet, demonstrated the pressure on the deputy attorney general.

This week, a friend of Mr. Trump’s said the president was considering firing Mr. Mueller — a task that would be complicated by Justice Department regulations, which say that only the attorney general may fire a special counsel and only if there is good cause. Mr. Rosenstein is acting as the attorney general in the inquiry because Mr. Sessions recused himself from investigations that touch on the 2016 presidential campaigns.

According to people briefed on his thinking, while Mr. Trump has left open the possibility of dismissing Mr. Mueller, his anger has been mostly trained on Mr. Sessions and Mr. Rosenstein. The president blames Mr. Rosenstein for appointing Mr. Mueller in the first place, and he faults Mr. Sessions for his earlier recusal from Russia-related issues.

But the people briefed on the president’s thinking said Mr. Trump also knows that firing Mr. Rosenstein would be politically dangerous.

Responding to Mr. Trump’s statement on Twitter, Senator Dianne Feinstein of California, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, said she was “growing increasingly concerned” that Mr. Trump might attempt to fire both Mr. Mueller and Mr. Rosenstein.

“If the president thinks he can fire Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein and replace him with someone who will shut down the investigation, he’s in for a rude awakening,” she said in a statement. “Even his staunchest supporters will balk at such a blatant effort to subvert the law.”

Separately, the apparent expansion of Mr. Mueller’s investigation into whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice, including by firing Mr. Comey, has raised the question of whether Mr. Rosenstein, as a witness to and participant in the events in 2017 that culminated in that ouster, may have to also recuse himself.

If Mr. Rosenstein recuses himself from overseeing the special counsel investigation or were to resign or be fired by Mr. Trump — acting attorney general duties for the inquiry would fall to the department’s No. 3 official, Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand.

Ms. Brand has never served as a prosecutor. She advised the Bush Justice Department on selecting judicial nominees, and she served as a Republican appointee on the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board.

“As the deputy attorney general has said numerous times, if there comes a point when he needs to recuse, he will,” said Ian Prior, a Justice Department spokesman. “However, nothing has changed.”

On Friday morning, Mr. Rosenstein made a public appearance at the Justice Department, presenting awards to dozens of department employees. He did not take questions from reporters.

In testimony on Tuesday, Mr. Rosenstein said that he had seen no reason to remove Mr. Mueller, whom he appointed last month, and vowed to “defend the integrity” of the special counsel investigation.

Mr. Trump’s tweet appeared to be inaccurate or oversimplified in three respects. The president has said he already made his decision to fire Mr. Comey before Mr. Rosenstein wrote a memo criticizing the director’s handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation.

Mr. Rosenstein himself is not the person investigating Mr. Trump, but rather is merely the person overseeing that investigator, Mr. Mueller, who operates with day-to-day independence from him.

And to date there is no public evidence that Mr. Mueller is focusing on the firing of Comey, as opposed to other events — like Mr. Comey’s claim that Mr. Trump improperly pressured him to drop an investigation into Michael Flynn, Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser.

The president’s latest tweet came after a series of others in which Mr. Trump continued to complain about the Russia investigations swirling around him, and just hours after members of Congress from both parties gathered at a baseball field to call for unity after the shooting at a Republican baseball practice this week.

In two other early-morning tweets, the president insisted that no one had found any “proof” that he colluded with Russians to meddle with the 2016 presidential elections, and he once again assailed the news media.

Mr. Trump’s claim to have 100 million social media followers is an exaggeration based on adding his followers on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram — many of whom are most likely the same people.

But however many people actually follow him on social media, the president clearly views them as a refuge from the barrage of newspaper headlines and cable news stories about the Russia investigations.

Faced with a Russia investigation that appears to be broadening, Mr. Trump appears eager to use Twitter to undermine the credibility of the inquiry and to convince his supporters that they do not need to worry.

In a third tweet Friday morning, Mr. Trump repeated his assertion that the investigations were a “phony Witch Hunt” and bragged that the nation’s economy was improving quickly.

So is Trump going to get impeached, the is pretty significant move as far as I can see. This sets in motion legal proceedings that did Nixon away, with the whole obstruction of justice.

I personally believe if they impeach Trump there is going to be some serious backlash amount the "angry white men", it will also undermine severely trust in democratic system. Because most I think understand that the whole Trump is in collusion with Russia fiasco is fake news and non-sense used to try to usurp Trump.
What's the difference between the Russia Investigation and the russia invistigation?

Albert wrote:I personally believe if they impeach Trump there is going to be some serious backlash amount the "angry white men", it will also undermine severely trust in democratic system.

You mean the minority of voters whose candidate lost the popular vote by 3 million?
Trump is under investigation for "obstruction of justice", in investigation that was examining Russian involvement in the election, that outside of Russian hacking has not produced any evidence. Therefore the title is misleading.

I personally believe Russians did hack DNC headquarters and RNC as well. Considering how many "computer scientist" and people in such profession have been doping dead recently or being arrested. I think US security agencies like CIA and FBI are taking their sweet vengeance.

He did not break the law, it is within his right to fire FBI directors. Also Comey himself said Trump is not under any personal investigation, legally there as no obstruction of justice. It is just more non-sense from Democrats and desperate liberals/establishment.

Hey actually come to think about it now, they really dont have a solid case against him. Thank you SO, thinking more through this made me realize this is not as significant then one might think at first. Makes me think when will the opposition run out of steam already, how long can this non-sense go on for?
Last edited by Albert on 17 Jun 2017 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
How does Trump stopping a federal investigation into someone who isn't himself make it better?

Sounds to me like he prevented law enforcement officials from doing their jobs for... no readily apparent reason? Why is he protecting potential criminals?
Trump never stopped any investigation. He only fired Comey; officials are still free to do their job and continue with any investigation. He fired Comey for many reasons, one of those reasons being actually, is his mishandling Clinton investigation during the election.

See how Trump is such a good human being, even at this point he still cares about H. Clinton, even after all she has done to him.
Someone wake me up when there is actual evidence that Trump did anything with the Russians to win ... heck, even wake me up when there is someone who isn't "an unnamed source" who says exactly how the Russians intentionally changed election results and forced people to not like Hillary and vote for Trump.

Oh, and enough with the "he lost by 3 million votes" junk. Everyone knows that the US isn't a Democracy but a Republic and that we don't directly vote for who is President. Never have and most likely, never will.

I've been working in the TV news industry for 27 years and they only care about one thing ... money, and that is gotten through advertising dollars and ratings. I highly suspect the outdated news print media is largely the same. I wouldn't trust the TYN as far as I could throw Trump Tower.

Albert wrote:He did not break the law, it is within his right to fire FBI directors. Also Comey himself said Trump is not under any personal investigation, legally there as no obstruction of justice. It is just more non-sense from Democrats and desperate liberals/establishment.

This. The FBI Director serves at the pleasure of the President. This whole thing is nothing more than political payback for the annointed Hillary not winning ... AGAIN. Trump very well may be impeached over this, mainly because he can't shut up. If anything, they will catch him on the coverup of a non-crime. Nothing more.

Of course then that happens, this is what very well may happen ...

Trump gets impeached.
Pence becomes President.
Pence pardons Trump.
Pence appoints Trump as his Vice President.
Pence steps down.
Trump becomes President.
Trump appoints Pence as Vice President.
Heads explode.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oex20hQeQp4 No, […]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O