Finsbury Park Mosque attack latest: Suspect named locally as dad-of-four - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Finsbury Park Mosque attack latest: Suspect named locally as dad-of-four Darren Osborne
How the Finsbury Park mosque terror attack unfolded
01:51

Danny Boyle Chris Graham

19 June 2017 • 5:06pm

Van driven into worshippers near Finsbury Park Mosque
One man dies and 10 injured; eight people in hospital
Suspect, 48, arrested after being detained by public
Driver said to have screamed: 'I'm going to kill all Muslims'
Police treating attack after Ramadan prayers as terror
Extra patrols outside mosques as police assess security
Theresa May says 'hatred and evil' will never succeed
'I'm worried to go back': Leaders ask for more security
Everything we know so far about north London attack
Analysis: How radical hotbed mosque was transformed

Theresa May has vowed that "hatred and evil" of the kind seen in the terror attack on a north London mosque that left one man dead and 10 injured will never succeed, as police promised to provide extra patrols during Ramadan.

A van was rammed into worshippers helping an elderly man who had collapsed on the pavement in the early hours, before the driver is said to have screamed: "I'm going to kill all Muslims".

The attacker has been named locally as father-of-four Darren Osborne, from Weston-Super-Mare in Somerset, the Daily Mirror reported.

Friends said Osborne had grown up in North Somerset but currently lived in Cardiff with his partner and children.

Speaking after a meeting with security officials and ministers in the Government's Cobra emergency committee, the Prime Minister confirmed that police believe the attacker who drove into people near Finsbury Park Mosque had acted alone.

Mrs May, who later met community leaders on a visit to the mosque, condemned the attack as "every bit as sickening" as other recent terrorist outrages.

She praised the "bravery" of members of the public who detained the van driver - described by witnesses as a large white man - before police arrived at about 12.20am.
The suspect, who appears to have a black eye, being arrested at the scene in Finsbury Park
The suspect, who appears to have a black eye, being arrested at the scene in Finsbury Park Credit: Sky News

The white van ploughed into pedestrians who were helping an elderly worshipper who had collapsed in an area that was busy with people who had attended Ramadan night prayers.

The pensioner they were helping later died. Police said he had already been receiving first aid from members of the public and it is not yet known if his death was caused by the attack.

A 48-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder over the incident in Seven Sisters Road. Ben Wallace, the security minister, said the suspect was not known to the security services.

Scotland Yard said that officers were carrying out searches in connection with the attack at a residential address in the Cardiff area.
A suspect arrested at Finsbury Park terror attack scene
00:22

Eight people were taken to hospital and two more were treated for minor injuries outside the Muslim Welfare House, yards from Finsbury Park mosque. Police said all the casualties were Muslims.

Scotland Yard said extra officers will patrol Muslim places of worship as it pledged to continue to "assess the security needs of mosques".

One witness said the attacker shouted about killing Muslims as he was held by local people. He his alleged to have said: "I did the job... I done my bit". Witnesses claimed he added: "I'd do it again, I'd do it again."

Video shows a scene of chaos as people tried to help the injured. One man could been seen giving CPR to a victim in the street while another man's head injury was treated with a makeshift dressing.

People could be heard shouting and screaming amid the chaos and bloodstains were visible on the pavement. In one video, a group of men are seen holding the suspect to the ground as they call for the police.
A police forensics officer examines the interior of a van
A police forensics officer examines the interior of the van Credit: Carl Court/Getty

Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner Neil Basu thanked members of the public for restraining the suspect as he said the attack had "all the hallmarks of terrorism".

Earlier, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "He has been taken to hospital as a precaution and will be taken into custody once discharged. He will also be subject of a mental health assessment in due course."

Telegraph

The Finsbury mosque of course was a rat's nest of extremism, even though the authorities sought to reform it in order to prove to the world that Islamic extremists could turn over a new leaf. Prince Charles himself was the one who opened the mosque and I believe the mosque organization received the land for a pittance. Several years later it was a hub of Islamic extremism and was tied to several terrorist networks.
SolarCross wrote:Doesn't everyone say that when they are looking for a parking space? It's just a figure of speech.

But the usual suspects are blowing all this way out of proportion.

A muslim is far more likely to be killed by a lightning strike than a terrorist attack, etc.

We should also remember that the killer here is the real victim.

EDIT: Going through my checklist here, what did I miss?
Saeko wrote:But the usual suspects are blowing all this way out of proportion.

A muslim is far more likely to be killed by a lightning strike than a terrorist attack, etc.

We should also remember that the killer here is the real victim.

EDIT: Going through my checklist here, what did I miss?

You haven't pointed out that this would never have happened if it hadn't been for the Ottoman Empire.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]