Senate GOP Health Proposal Would Leave 22 Million Uninsured - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

This passing is probably the only way that the US joins the industrial world and gets single-payer.

At some point, insurance companies are going to be tired of being jerked around back and forth, and when people in Trump's coalition are murdered by the people he votes for, those assholes might withhold votes.

The Democrats will try another corporate-friendly alternative, but hopefully enough blood will be on everybody's hands that it happens.

Then again, maybe not.
Who the hell knows what's going to happen.

Single payer would be a nice consequence of this passing, though the cost in lives kind of staggers me. Honestly my thoughts are that if the ACA weathers this the medicaid expansions are a fantastic first step towards funding universal healthcare and democrats retaking the government and going in to "fix" the problems with Obama care would almost certainly also result in single payer.

Perhaps that's just wishful thinking though and I don't want the republicans to actually manage to basically kill people.
The Democrats would just reverse things back to Obamacare, which naturally sucks too. Of course, any plan from the CATO institute is going to suck ass.

The best the Democrats will offer is a government-option which may then one-day go to single payer. When the government option was floated last time, I remember Republicans whining on TV, "But the government could do everything better and cheaper, and private companies couldn't compete!"

Which, of course, is exactly the point.
Well, they did lose massive numbers of seats by passing Obamacare so you may well be right.

Frankly I find new and interesting ways to be disappointed in the nonsense right wing Americans are willing to fight with everything they've got.

I mean the democrats have tons of massive problems but are still better than the party that lost it's collective shit when the democrats passed the enormously tepid reform that they themselves proposed. :|
kherrera637 wrote:"The GOP bill cuts spending on Medicaid by $772 billion over a decade, which would result in 15 million fewer people enrolled in the program in 2026 than under current law. Another 7 million wouldn’t have coverage in the individual insurance market."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -uninsured

I wish I could optimistically report that such news would resonate with those who voted for the President and inform them about what he means when he describes his remedies as being "something terrific". It's off the topic but this is "just" healthcare. If you are sick in the United States, you can call 911 in most areas. Wikipedia reports 98% of the nation is plugged in so that if you call 911, you reach an emergency dispatch center. From there, you will get some form of care. So putting a pin in healthcare for the time being; regardless of what happens in Washington, it isn't a matter of life and death; sudden life or death anyway. What should give us pause is that if this is "something terrific", what remedies does the President have for foreign policy hurdles and it's multi lateral meanings...the economy which affects every American (healthy or not) and education which is the only silver bullet the non-affluent have in their corner. I wish I could report that it would give them pause...but I think we all know better. Pulling the pin out, it does seem as though single-payer is the eventual remedy that nobody wants to embrace. What is most puzzling is that healthcare is not, and should not be, part of your employment package. It should not be incumbent upon your employer to provide healthcare. If you were looking at this plan from Neptune, you'd be (as I am) wondering why a person's private insurance is paid by that person if it is for his car, his house, his boat...but if it is for his health, his employer pays.
The problem with America's healthcare is the average American uses $1,000 worth of healthcare per month. The is now way to divide that where it is affordable. Half of all healthcare dollars are used by 5% of the population. No one in America is doing without healthcare and it is all being paid for by someone.

Americans are getting bent over by the healthcare industry and they (of course) don't want that to stop. How many lobbyist does the American have? How many lobbyists does the healthcare industry have? :roll:
Let us abandon any and all improvement because in some alternate reality there is the possibility for what I view as the perfect healthcare plan.

Anything less than the perfect implementation of my view over everyone else's is evil and wrong and furthers the cultural hegemony of everyone else disagreeing with me.

ITT skinster supports totalitarianism when democracy disagrees with her.
1.) It's a republic.

2.) Your screaming Everytime people disagree with you is pathetic to see.

3.) If a policy proposal would cost more than the entire state budget it would be wildly irresponsible to put ideology before reality and not rework or rethink the policy.
Skinster return to the tactic of letting other people make her arguments in 140 characters or less.

Tweet one suggests that the half of the country represented by the Dems may not be unified on an issue. Shocking!

The second amounts to little more than being unable to believe that other people would disagree with you and thus it's simply not possible that there is any democracy. After all he's just so right on the issue how can anyone honestly disagree with him?

It must be convenient to be so intellectually lazy you can just hide yourself behind a wall of tweets and emoticons. Saves you the time and effort of any intellectual debate.
You keep saying a bunch of words that amount to nothing except defending the other shitty rightwing party of the US two-party-dictatorship, who also don't give a fuck about Americans getting affordable healthcare. Both parties are funded in the tune of millions by health insurance companies, they serve those companies, not the people, and all you do is defend them, as though you're working for them, in which case, can I ask how much they paid you during the election and what is your salary currently?

And since you hate the tweets, here's a fun reminder about how the party you work/cheerlead for propped up Trump's campaign, just because :D
Last edited by skinster on 27 Jun 2017 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
I'm getting to the stage where I just don't care about the American healthcare debate any more. You guys refuse to take the simplest, most obvious option used by almost every industrialised country (single payer health care), despite the mountains of evidence showing it is cheaper and more effective than the utter shit show in place today. Under the new plan to Deliver America From Communist Tyranny, health insurance premiums for someone on $56,800 a year will go up to $20,500 per year. 36% of your pre-tax salary on health insurance premiums! What possible other response to this is there, other than to laugh? Trump and the Republicans are really sticking it to those vested interests! :lol:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Godstud did you ever have to go through any of […]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous&q[…]