CNN Issues Fatwa Against Private Citizen - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Furthermore....they may have targeted THE WRONG GUY. :lol:

http://imgur.com/a/djffp

Is CNN finally about to NAME an anonymous source, after 6 months of coming up short in their Russia investigations?

Anyway, the internet has declare a meme war on CNN. Alex Jones (bless his little conspiracy socks) is offering $20,000 reward for the best anti-CNN meme.

Vive la memolution?

They say the ratings have plummeted for CNN, but I'm not convinced. This is probably going to work out fine for CNN. Like Trump's disdain for NYTimes caused the amount of subscriptions to soar. Also, look at FoxNews, arguably the right-wing version of CNN. It followed a similar model as CNN did back then. And now it's on top.

Shameless partisan hucksterism sells.
Owsley wrote:I wholeheartly support CNN here. Can anyone explain what they have done wrong?

It's legally pretty close to blackmail. I'm guessing it went down like this: the guy who made the gif used CNN's trademark without permission. They probably used that as a pretext to discover the identity of the person who made the gif. Then, they made a public statement saying that they knew the identify of the person, but weren't revealing it for that person's safety; then, added that they reserved the right to make his name public if he posted anything else they didn't like--meaning, they would create a threat to his personal safety if he did something they didn't like. It's thuggish behavior.

The Sabbaticus wrote:Also, look at FoxNews, arguably the right-wing version of CNN. It followed a similar model as CNN did back then. And now it's on top.

FoxNews dominates, because it's really the only outlet that gives Republicans and conservatives a hearing. That's a de facto monopoly.
Why should CNN take the fall for the actions of one little reporter?

Did CBS crumble after the Dan Rather mistake? That mistake was bigger but CBS survived.

CNN will rebound, I have no doubt.

Trump needs to stop his inane tweeting and re-tweeting. His behavior on twitter is not presidential at all.
Misty Tiger is clearly late to the ideological party here. The important thing is everyone denouncing the media as corrupt. Clearly Trumps crimes and incompetence are insignificant compared to this story about some reddit loser who makes shitty meme s.

This is what I mean when I say the discourse is toxic. We can't even begin to discuss the issues because everyone is too busy masturbating to the latest outrage.

Nothing gets my goat more than self righteous fools who latch themselves like little remora fish to a politician (except Gowdy obviously). And nothing is worse than when those people are literally 4chan trolls on top of this.
Very few are exempt from being 'self righteous fools'. Demanding our ideas (morality) be accepted by all is the same whether you are liberal or conservative. Where is the difference?
MistyTiger wrote:Why should CNN take the fall for the actions of one little reporter?

It took more than "one little reporter" to get that done.

MistyTiger wrote:Did CBS crumble after the Dan Rather mistake? That mistake was bigger but CBS survived.

Well, thank you for admitting that Fake News has been going on for awhile now. Dan Rather lost his credibility, so he had to lose his job. CBS lost a lot of credibility too, and had to fire the producer as well. CNN is pushing the "Russia hacked the election" story with the added bit that somehow Trump colluded with the Russians to that end without a shred of evidence to support the story.

I put out the notion that "Trump calls it like it is; the establishment can't take it" precisely to highlight what made Trump politically relevant. Even on an advertising-driven site, the moderators here decided to kill the thread and take a ratings hit for the site rather than talk openly about the most relevant political development in recent US history. That story continues though we're not supposed to talk about it here.

The bigger subtext is that Trump supporters made these gifs, and Trump himself picked it up and retweeted it. So CNN is trying to silence Trump supporters in the same way that Zagadka is preventing us from talking about the fact that Trump takes on the establishment. It may be uncomfortable for Trump's detractors, but that is what is really happening these days.

MistyTiger wrote:CNN will rebound, I have no doubt.

That may happen. I have my doubts. When your brand faces a collateral attack from viewers--not from competitors, not from political parties--it's a very difficult thing to overcome.

MistyTiger wrote:Trump needs to stop his inane tweeting and re-tweeting. His behavior on twitter is not presidential at all.

He does not need to "appear presidential." That was my whole point in "Trump calls it like it is; the establishment can't take it." Your retort offers an even bigger example of Fake News as an example of why CNN's Fake News should be tolerated. That's why conservatives don't like the Republicans anymore. It took rank-and-file supporters of Bush to point out that the fonts used didn't exist back in 1967 or whenever it was that Bush was supposed to be serving in the TANG. They had typewriters back then, not word processors. Even so-called seasoned professionals in the Republican party don't pick this stuff up. They are totally lame. That's why people like Trump. It doesn't matter how much he gets trashed in the media.

Hell, even in Poland he drew a large crowd cheering him on while the media stood by in abject horror.
Rancid wrote:CNN got offended saying that Trump is calling for violence against American media, etc. etc. Lots of people in the media are angry about it. CNN found out who the guy was that create the GIF and demanded an apology with the threat to Dox him (make his home address and contact info public so people can harass him) if he didn't apologize. The guy apologized openly to CNN, and thus CNN didn't Dox him.

This guy is a total asshole and a creep, don't get me wrong. He has posted all sorts of worst racist shit. Still though, a professional organization like CNN, should not be engaging in Doxing and blackmailing people. That is pretty fucking low.

Well, good thing that's not what it appears that CNN did. While I don't think CNN handled the whole thing very well at all, blackmailing has a specific definition and there's no proof that any blackmailing took place.
MB. wrote:Misty Tiger is clearly late to the ideological party here. The important thing is everyone denouncing the media as corrupt. Clearly Trumps crimes and incompetence are insignificant compared to this story about some reddit loser who makes shitty meme s.

Oh, I am always late to the party it seems. As to ideological parties, those give me a headache. Each party is about "toeing the party line", like they will be looking at who wants to increase nuclear weapon development funding, who wants to cut taxes for the wealthy and for corporations, or who wants to increase funding for the EPA and other environmental agencies. It seems to me like it is all about the agenda and not so much about thinking about what needs to be done to make the US strong again. The US is a nation divided and it is beset by financial woes like debt. And who is head of all these ideological parties in the US? Old, privileged, predominantly white men. Very few minorities are invited to the party and the ones that do like Marco Rubio are mostly sidelined and tossed in for the variety salad as an afterthought.

MB wrote:This is what I mean when I say the discourse is toxic. We can't even begin to discuss the issues because everyone is too busy masturbating to the latest outrage.

I agree. People would rather bash the media sources than really consider the problems in the world.

blackjack21 wrote:It took more than "one little reporter" to get that done.

Fine. The people who created the video contributed to it. But there is too much fuss about what was meant as a joke. Can't anyone create comedy anymore without being bashed by Donny boy? He is a party pooper and ruins the fun.

blackjack21 wrote:Well, thank you for admitting that Fake News has been going on for awhile now. Dan Rather lost his credibility, so he had to lose his job. CBS lost a lot of credibility too, and had to fire the producer as well. CNN is pushing the "Russia hacked the election" story with the added bit that somehow Trump colluded with the Russians to that end without a shred of evidence to support the story.

I think that Dan Rather made a mistake. Maybe he thought he could trust his source but his source was bribed to hand him fake evidence. He was a longstanding news broadcaster with a decent record and someone hated his guts and wanted to take him out of the picture and CBS's image was just collateral damage.

What gets me is that people attack news outlets rather than laughing at the story. The ones pouring oil on the flames are using this whole incident as a distraction. It is distracting the public away from major issues like how Trump does poorly when it comes to diplomacy or how his healthcare bill would leave 22 million people out in the cold and he does not feel any sense of regret over it, I doubt he will be shedding tears or losing sleep over it.

blackjack21 wrote:I put out the notion that "Trump calls it like it is; the establishment can't take it" precisely to highlight what made Trump politically relevant. Even on an advertising-driven site, the moderators here decided to kill the thread and take a ratings hit for the site rather than talk openly about the most relevant political development in recent US history. That story continues though we're not supposed to talk about it here.

Moderation had their reasons for locking the thread. I suspect that too many posts in that thread were reported or mods were sick and tired of redacting posts in it so they figured it was better to stop people from posting in it.

blackjack21 wrote:The bigger subtext is that Trump supporters made these gifs, and Trump himself picked it up and retweeted it. So CNN is trying to silence Trump supporters in the same way that Zagadka is preventing us from talking about the fact that Trump takes on the establishment. It may be uncomfortable for Trump's detractors, but that is what is really happening these days.

I do not see what the big idea is over some gifs. Trump should focus on his duties rather than following gifs. What is he a 15 year old? He should not have the time to keep track of the online activities of his supporters.

Zag is not preventing anyone from talking about Trump taking on the establishment. That thread was just too much of a bother to handle.

blackjack21 wrote:He does not need to "appear presidential." That was my whole point in "Trump calls it like it is; the establishment can't take it." Your retort offers an even bigger example of Fake News as an example of why CNN's Fake News should be tolerated. That's why conservatives don't like the Republicans anymore. It took rank-and-file supporters of Bush to point out that the fonts used didn't exist back in 1967 or whenever it was that Bush was supposed to be serving in the TANG. They had typewriters back then, not word processors. Even so-called seasoned professionals in the Republican party don't pick this stuff up. They are totally lame. That's why people like Trump. It doesn't matter how much he gets trashed in the media.

This is the first time that the president has dared to act unpresidential and it is looking pretty pitiful. His approval rating is the lowest it has ever been, lower than even Bush Jr.

The people that like Trump are those who do not really understand the damage that Trump has inflicted on this great country. It is still early so his supporters are still happily numb. In the future though, you and the rest of the USA will feel the damage and then we will all try our best to survive it.

Net neutrality is one of the major issues. Unfortunately, it looks like Pai will dismantle it and the way we stream media and movies on the net will never be the same.

blackjack21 wrote:Hell, even in Poland he drew a large crowd cheering him on while the media stood by in abject horror.

Poland does not have to see him on the news all the time. They do not live under his thumb. They cheer because they saw him on The Apprentice and they think that he is the bomb. But they probably do not understand what he is really like or what he is truly capable of. You could say that they are blissfully ignorant of his meanness and callousness.
anna wrote:
Well, good thing that's not what it appears that CNN did. While I don't think CNN handled the whole thing very well at all, blackmailing has a specific definition and there's no proof that any blackmailing took place.

I guess you're a lawyer. I would consider CNN opening saying "we reserve the right to dox this guy in the future" as some sort of threat/blackmail/extortion.
Rancid wrote:I guess you're a lawyer. I would consider CNN opening saying "we reserve the right to dox this guy in the future" as some sort of threat/blackmail/extortion.

I'm not, but then I don't have to be a lawyer to say that there's no proof of blackmail. The reddit user posted an apology and deleted his account before even being contacted by CNN.

What I find more interesting (and understandable) from a human behavior standpoint is what happens when someone accustomed to being an anonymous troll realizes that (through their own actions) they've lost their anonymity.
blackjack21 wrote:It's legally pretty close to blackmail. I'm guessing...

:lol:

It's really not. I know there are sooooo many alt-righters out there who desperately want to believe it though, because they have such an all-consuming hatred for CNN.
Rancid wrote:Sure, but it's still a dick ass move for CNN to even suggest that they would dox this guy.

As I said earlier, I don't think CNN handled this well, but I don't think it measures up to blackmail. The journalist wasn't responsible for the language, it was edited later, perhaps in an abundance of ham-handed caution.

Here's a pretty even look at things:

https://gizmodo.com/how-cnn-made-its-ow ... 1796656983

And in the fallout, it's pretty obvious that the alt-right doesn't mind doing actual revenge doxing of its own on the journalist who apparently wasn't responsible for the eventual edit. So once they've had their day, I'm sure they'll be back on the next Pepe meme or whatever catches their fancy tomorrow.
MB. wrote:Can you speculate a little on why you think this is?

It's similar to the irrational hatred they have for the Clintons which leads them to all kinds of conspiracy theories going back to Vince Foster and the Clinton Body Count. It goes way beyond mere partisanship, and deep into their right-wing authoritarian personalities. CNN is THE ENEMY. And nothing will sway it. The paradox (to me, anyway) is how they then twist themselves inside out to rationalize the Trump/Putin problem - deny or downplay the meddling in our election by an ex-KGB officer who is NOT our friend. I can't figure that one out.

Michael Jackson was a saint tho and still is, ins[…]

You must die on the hill of ZERO genetic differen[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you really believe that America decides how Uk[…]

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipmen[…]