London Tube to change 'ladies and gentlemen' announcements-Gender Neutral - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

BBC wrote:The "ladies and gentlemen" greeting on Tube announcements is to be scrapped, Transport for London (TfL) has announced. London Underground staff have been told to say "hello everyone" in an effort to become more gender-neutral. TfL said the move was to ensure all passengers felt "welcome".

underground.jpg
underground.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

LGBT campaign group Stonewall welcomed the decision, which was supported by London mayor Sadiq Khan at a session of Mayor's Question Time last month. The revised phrasing will be applied to all new pre-recorded announcements made across the capital's transport network. Mark Evers, director of customer strategy at TfL, said: "We want everyone to feel welcome on our transport network. "We have reviewed the language that we use in announcements and elsewhere and will make sure that it is fully inclusive, reflecting the great diversity of London."

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he supported the change to gender neutral language Mr Khan said he was "keen" TfL speak in a "more neutral way". He said: "TfL serves a vibrant, diverse and multicultural city, and provision of an inclusive transport service is at the heart of TfL's purpose. "I am aware however, that some customers may not relate to or feel comfortable with the way that certain station announcements are made."

TfL said it had briefed staff on use of the new language "though from time-to-time, well-meaning staff may still use the term 'ladies and gentlemen"." "If this happens frequently, we will issue reminders to staff," it added.
Stonewall said: "Language is extremely important to the lesbian, gay, bi and trans community, and the way we use it can help ensure all people feel included.

"We welcome gender neutral announcements to be rolled out across TfL as it will ensure that everyone - no matter who they identify as - feels accounted for."

BBC
Patrickov wrote:Can't transsexuals be addressed as the gender they have been changed into? Why would it be offensive? I really don't understand.

It isn't about that 0.1% of the population, it is the 0.01% who identify as "gender fluid" or whatnot. Or just have some objection to being defined by sex. Who fucking knows.
The precedent is there... most places call collective groups of people customers, clients, guests, or patients, or some other term (passengers on airlines etc). This could have been done quietly and no one would have even noticed.
The better off our society becomes, the more ridiculous the things we complain about. People like to complain. The current idea that we need to do something about their complaints is absurd. There will never be an end to human complaints. I live with old people, so I know how ridiculous it can become if we keep trying to make everyone happy. Hint: You can not make anyone happy. They need to do that for themselves.
A single journey ticket now costs £4.90 on London Underground and the change was made after the 7/7 attacks in 2005. I found it ridiculous as it's as costly as buying a one-day pass. The use of “ladies and gentlemen” should continue and dropping the expression does not promote gender equality at all. Gender fluid people do belong to either genders in their minds.
SolarCross wrote:Anyway I care a bit: "Ladies and Gentlemen" has a classy old world charm but "Hello Everyone" sounds like something The Muppets would say. I regret this regression.

Whew, I was afraid that we might get through this thread without some right-winger whining about how his feelings were affected by a trivial item posted on a slow news day.
The Immortal Goon wrote:Whew, I was afraid that we might get through this thread without some right-winger whining about how his feelings were affected by a trivial item posted on a slow news day.

I suppose that is another thing the rapture / revolution will cure? Aesthetic preferences will be banned by order of Commissar TIG

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]