Russia bans Jehova's witnesses, to confiscate all properties - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Russia's Supreme Court has ordered the disbanding of the Jehovah's Witnesses on Russian territory.

The ban came into effect after the court rejected an appeal by the religious group against a ruling in April which declared it to be extremist.

The justice ministry had argued that the group distributed pamphlets which incited hatred against other groups.

The group described the ruling as the end of religious freedom in Russia.

The denomination says it has 175,000 members in Russia - a country where it was persecuted during the Stalin era.

An estimated eight million people worldwide are part of the Christian-based movement, best known for going door-to-door looking for new converts.

The ruling means that the group's headquarters near St Petersburg and 395 local chapters will close.

It will be required to hand over all its properties, known as Kingdom Halls, to the Russian government.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40635267

Good riddance.
Man, looking at the financial situation of some of these sects (the shiite offshoot bahai for one-their religious buildings are epic) you can see how profitable these scams are. Granted Christianity and Islam have been most profitable of all, but these niche cults are also big business.

It's never too late. Let's start one guys! Scientology is still the golden scam standard to aspire to.
A large majority of Russians support a ban on the Jehovah’s Witnesses, a recent poll shows.

Roughly eighty percent of those questioned by the independent Levada Center pollster said they supported a Justice Ministry ban on the religious group after it was labeled an extremist sect.

Russia’s Supreme Court formally banned the Jehovah's Witnesses in April, forcing 396 registered Jehovah's Witnesses organizations across the country to dissolve.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/Russian ... poll-58382

The Russian list of banned extremist organizations also includes white supremacist organizations, the Islamic State, Al Qaida and the Aum Shinrikyo cult from Japan. The Russian Justice Ministry cited the American group’s creed on blood transfusion as reason for the ban. The Russians are especially vulnerable to be brainwashed by extremist groups because they have not yet developed an immunity to religious sects, which had started to spread like wildfire in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Bulaba Jones wrote:Smart money is on Mormonism! Jehovah's Witnesses simply aren't as cool and downright likable.

mormonism = moronism
They were jealous in the New world that Lord Jezus and Mohammed and all the other super stars only came to the Old World (the new one wasn't discovered yet)
So there this guy John Smith made up a story about Jezus and angels with a golden book that came to America. Really?
My apartment complex has a ban on door to door solicitations so Jehovah's witnesses are rare enough they can be ignored. Without them banging on your door, they become just another weird group with no effect on anything. Local ordinances seem more reasonable than banning them from a country. Does not history often show the groups that were ostracized were because they represented something people wanted that was not in the best interest of the ruling elite? There is no reason to ban them if the people reject them. This is simply the government deciding their citizens are too ignorant to make their own decisions. This is a common hypocrisy of 'democratic' governments.
Ter wrote:It is not up to us. The Russians can do in their country what they want.

:eh:...I've never said anything to the contrary.

Ter wrote:I happen to agree with them to prohibit the religious sects, and also to keep the Soros poison out.

Soros is my hero, he's old and demented but all the right- and left-wing dimwits hate his guts.
Finally, a political event we can all celebrate! Huzzah! :D

Furthermore, I consider all churches adherent to Scientology should be burned to the ground...
Beren wrote:Good job Russia, an existential threat to Russian society is rooted out finally. :up:

How are they extremists, by the way? Do they love Jesus Christ more than the Orthodox do? :angel:

:lol: What actually happens is people threatening Jehovah's witnesses for bothering them while the Jehovah's witnesses mildly take it. What a threat. :lol:
I don't want them knocking on my door either, but geesh.

The chimp question: https://www.newsweek.com/coul[…]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]