Poland Crisis, Gov. takes Over Courts, EU threatens with suspension. - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#14826209
I am sure they did not imagine at the time of signing up that Brussels would force them to Islamise their countries.

The EU is rather like capitalism - fine in theory, but once the unintended consequences start showing up, the party turns sour pretty quickly.... ;)
#14826211
Ter wrote:I am sure they did not imagine at the time of signing up that Brussels would force them to Islamise their countries.


This crisis has nothing to do with Muslim migration/asylum. It is about control and autonomy. Nonetheless the principles are the same. If you don't want to adhere to the rules of the club, leave the club. As pointed out by @Rugoz, the rules haven't changed. So why the confusion? The EU is more than just handouts and Duma needs to decide what is more important to Poland. Financial security or oppressive control of his courts. Polish citizens know what they like it seems.
#14826256
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:I'm sure there is some truth to this. Yet, there are other factors which could plausibly have contributed to the different experiences of Eastern Europe vs former SU countries. First, the latter were more integrated into the Soviet Union and hence would have been more negatively affected by its disintegration. Second, the Eastern European countries, especially those closer to Central Europe, would have been attractive destinations for investments and outsourcing regardless of EU-membership. This is not only due to geographic proximity, but also long-standing ties and cultural similarities between these countries (the same effect can be observed in former Yugoslavian countries).

And third, if you look at the growth rates starting in 1996, which as mentioned is the first year for which data is available for all countries and at which point pretty much all of them had returned to growth, you can actually see a moderate catch-up by most of the former SU-countries. But even if you discount this, your argument about maintaining GDP growth fails to explain why Bulgaria and Romania are still lagging behind and why, for instance say, Ireland, despite its troubles during the eurozone crisis, has managed the most stunning catch-up of all EU-countries. In fact, if you include Ireland in my above IMF chart, it outstrips all Eastern European EU-members in terms of average GDP growth despite being more developed during the whole period.

Hence, I would argue that, while it's certainly possible that EU-membership had a positive effect of GDP growth since the fall of the iron curtain, we need to take these other factors into account, at least as a possibility.


Romania and Bulgaria have growth issue because their neibhours are not all part of the EU and also because Yugoslavia survived longer than the SU. The whole region was in turmoil until around 2000 and even now to a degree, not all of the balkan countries are in the EU/Pro-eu so the region itself is fractured. This causes issue for growth in Bulgaria and Romania.

Also, as of late, Ukraine turned in to a shit hole. This is a negative situation for their economies.
#14826260
One Degree wrote:The title is actually ridiculous. "Government takes over courts"? :?: Aren't the courts part of government?
How can they take over themselves? :?:


Ter wrote:Hogwash.
The EU has a big problem with those East European countries because they refuse to admit the Muslim hordes.
The appointment of judges is just a part of that.


Jesus fucking Christ. Can you believe it? :lol:
#14826264
Rugoz wrote:Jesus fucking Christ. Can you believe it? :lol:


You will need to be more forthcoming, if you wish for me to understand the meaning of your post. You apparently see a hilarious connection between our comments that I miss.
#14826289
Ter wrote:And here I was thinking that Swiss people were polite and polished. Tsk, tsk.


My compatriots are lame dicks.

Ter wrote:There are several issues that cause friction between Poland and the Brussels Bureaucrats.
The appointment of judges but definitely also the refusal to let the Muslim migrants in.


The migration issue causes friction with many Eastern European countries and others. Guess what this thread is all about :roll: .
#14826292
@Rugoz
Guess what this thread is all about


The EU trying to demonstrate it's power with nothing to back it up except threat of expulsion from an organization that everyone knows is on it's deathbed? :D
#14826394
Ter wrote:The title of this thread is misleading.
They are only threatening to suspend voting rights.
Expulsion is not on the table.


The title of the thread is not at all misleading, both the title and the OP are perfectly real and true. The only issue here is that both you and One Degree are too lazy to read both the title and the OP. The title does not contain the word "expulsion".

Also crying about Muslims is off-topic.

Lastly, One Degree pretends to be unable to comprehend how the ruling party(government) attempts to take over the courts from the judges despite the fact that it has already been explained to him and despite the fact that he admittedly disagrees with such actions as he comprehends that political affiliation and patronage destroy the state institutions; he is actually trying very hard to obfuscate the issue so much so as to get away with justifying it.
#14826398
noemon wrote:The title of the thread is not at all misleading, both the title and the OP are perfectly real and true. The only issue here is that both you and One Degree are too lazy to read both the title and the OP. The title does not contain the word "expulsion".

Also crying about Muslims is off-topic.

Lastly, One Degree pretends to be unable to comprehend how the ruling party(government) attempts to take over the courts from the judges despite the fact that it has already been explained to him and despite the fact that he admittedly disagrees with such actions as he comprehends that political affiliation and patronage destroys the state institutions; he is actually trying very hard to obfuscate the issue so much so as to get away with justifying it.

Yes, I said 'expulsion' instead of 'suspension' Mea Culpa.
The title is incorrect because it should have said "Legislators take over courts"
#14826402
One Degree wrote:Yes, I said 'expulsion' instead of 'suspension' Mea Culpa.
The title is incorrect because it should have said "Legislators take over courts"


You would serve yourself better if you actually discussed the topic instead of trying to find something to whinge about as if it has any actual semantic value. If you have issues comprehending the topic you should re-read the very clear OP. If the word 'government' bothers you, it can be changed to 'ruling party' instead. ;)
#14826408
noemon wrote:You would serve yourself better if you actually discussed the topic instead of trying to find something to whinge about as if it has any actual semantic value. If you have issues comprehending the topic you should re-read the very clear OP. If the word 'government' bothers you, it can be changed for 'ruling party' instead. ;)


I could not understand why you seemed to be taking such offense. After thinking about it, I realized you started the thread. I never really respond to posters directly, I simply respond to what is written. When I made my comments, I had forgotten who wrote the title. My comments are very rarely personal. If I am offensive, I can assure you it is unintentional. Thank you for the reminder. I will try to be more sensitive.
#14826412
No offence has been taken and none is implied in my posts either. Why would I be offended for correcting yours and Ter's obvious errors about my OP? You need not be sensitive at all nor should you expect that I will not point out your errors(whether intentional or not) especially when they are about me.
Is Trump Unpatriotic?

I believe President Trump is among the most Patrio[…]

....says the supposed Christian who cannot recogni[…]

PRs have the most privileged VIP status in Singa[…]

Everyday Life in Fascist Society

Settle down guys, the lines been reached. Hooters […]