noir wrote:German authorities call him "mentally unstable", meaning the attack was not aimed to Germans as Germans. It's a long standing German policy, since the third reich. They believe the Muslims adore Germany and even if from time to time they kill randomly, it doesn't diminish their solidarity with Germans thus Germany can still count on their loyality.
During World War II Muslims were indeed recruited by the Third Reich http://www.historytoday.com/david-motadel/muslims-hitlers-war
. ASide from Judaism of course , the National Socialists were rather tolerant in their party's official position on religion .
24. We demand freedom for all religious faiths in the state, insofar as they do not endanger its existence or offend the moral and ethical sense of the Germanic race.
The party as such represents the point of view of a positive Christianity without binding itself to any one particular confession. It fights against the Jewish materialist spirit within and without, and is convinced that a lasting recovery of our folk can only come about from within on the pinciple.
So if any Germans in that era were to choose to be Muslim , their right to religious freedom would have been respected . Not that I would find such a prospect to be likely though , considering the before mentioned National Socialist party platform's position on nationality .
4. Only those who are our fellow countrymen can become citizens. Only those who have German blood, regardless of creed, can be our countrymen. Hence no Jew can be a countryman.
5. Those who are not citizens must live in Germany as foreigners and must be subject to the law of aliens.
6. The right to choose the government and determine the laws of the State shall belong only to citizens. We therefore demand that no public office, of whatever nature, whether in the central government, the province, or the municipality, shall be held by anyone who is not a citizen.7. We demand that the State shall above all undertake to ensure that every citizen shall have the possibility of living decently and earning a livelihood. If it should not be possible to feed the whole population, then aliens (non-citizens) must be expelled from the Reich.
8. Any further immigration of non-Germans must be prevented. We demand that all non-Germans who have entered Germany since August 2, 1914, shall be compelled to leave the Reich immediately.
So any German Muslims would have had to have been indigenous German converts , such as in these examples https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Germany#History
. Which raises the question , how is a country to counter balance the right of religious freedom with the need for public safety , especially as it concerns natural born adherents and converts ?