President Trump Pardoned Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#14838221
The year I spent in Joe Arpaio’s tent jail was hell. He should never walk free.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... -walk-free


EDIT

Also

Image
#14838227
The whole institution of presidential pardons is bizarre in the first place.

If you think:

a) that there are people innocent of crimes cluttering up your prisons that should push you to reforming your judicial system.
b) there are people in prison for breaking minor laws that should not result in going to prison in the first place then that should push you to reforming your judicial system.
c) there are people in prison for things that are against the law that are totally victimless and should not be against the law that should push you to reforming your judicial system.

Responding to any of those situations by having totally arbitrary pardons issued by the head of state is just bizarre. I thought Americans had a massive hard on about pretending to have a better separation of powers than other systems? It totally undermines the independence of the judiciary from political interference.
#14838239
mikema63 wrote:Trump pardoned a racist who broke the law by being racist.

He didn't break the law. He violated a court order by continuing to enforce the law, which may be contempt of court, but that is a moot question now.

mikema63 wrote:Obama commuted (not entirely pardoned) the sentences of a bunch of non violent drug offenders because our drug laws are a ridiculous mess.

He also pardoned terrorists and cop killers.

Hindsite wrote:Texas is mostly Republican, but Houston, Texas is headed by a black Democratic Mayor and black congress woman with the strange name of Sheila Jackson Lee. Doesn't her name remind anyone of the so-called racist Confederate General Robert E. Lee and Confederate General Stonewall Jackson. How is she allowed to keep such racist names?

She should be thrown out of Congress for her offensive name.

Trump is awesome.
#14838291
One Degree wrote:What does helping flood victims have to do with political beliefs? :?:
What Houston demonstrates is the idiocy of housing so many people in a small geographic area. Anyone who has driven in Houston on a normal day knows an evacuation would have been an even greater disaster.
Smart population distribution is needed to prevent these disasters.


Again, I hope you’re only pretending to be so dense. :?:

Houston’s problem is anything but concentrations of people. Anyone who has actually driven through Houston knows it takes an hour or two in normal traffic on a normal day; starting around the San Jac river in the East to the Katy/Sealy area on I-10 in the West. Only a moron would make such an assertion. If anything, the lack of concentration makes the rescues less effective because, you have to deploy your resources over the three recognized downtown areas (downtown, Med Center, and Galleria) and all of the lesser ones like Greenway, Energy Corridor, Greenspoint, Baybrook/NASA…

As for the politics, when Sandy hit the NE, Cruz and Cornyn demanded spending offsets before they would approve aid. I wonder why they are not demanding offsets this time?

Again, I sincerely hope you’re pretending to be this aloof.
#14838311
4cal wrote:Again, I hope you’re only pretending to be so dense. :?:

Houston’s problem is anything but concentrations of people. Anyone who has actually driven through Houston knows it takes an hour or two in normal traffic on a normal day; starting around the San Jac river in the East to the Katy/Sealy area on I-10 in the West. Only a moron would make such an assertion. If anything, the lack of concentration makes the rescues less effective because, you have to deploy your resources over the three recognized downtown areas (downtown, Med Center, and Galleria) and all of the lesser ones like Greenway, Energy Corridor, Greenspoint, Baybrook/NASA…

As for the politics, when Sandy hit the NE, Cruz and Cornyn demanded spending offsets before they would approve aid. I wonder why they are not demanding offsets this time?

Again, I sincerely hope you’re pretending to be this aloof.

I have no idea what your point is. I have driven through Houston several times. Traffic is normally horrid. 6.8 million people trying to leave would not be practical. When it is not practical to evacuate the people, then it is reasonable to assume there are too many people in the area. 6.8 million people in an area that small is a disaster waiting to happen and we are actually seeing that happen, so I have no idea why you can reasonably disagree. It is being proven before your eyes.
Are you suggesting the mayor was also dense since he gave the same argument for why he did not call for an evacuation?
#14838384
One Degree wrote:I have no idea what your point is. I have driven through Houston several times. Traffic is normally horrid. 6.8 million people trying to leave would not be practical. When it is not practical to evacuate the people, then it is reasonable to assume there are too many people in the area. 6.8 million people in an area that small is a disaster waiting to happen and we are actually seeing that happen, so I have no idea why you can reasonably disagree. It is being proven before your eyes.
Are you suggesting the mayor was also dense since he gave the same argument for why he did not call for an evacuation?


Well, first you’re off by about 3-4 million folks. There are not that many.

Secondly, and again, the comment was made that it was a small area. Houston’s topography is not small; it’s spread out into three counties (actually 5 if not 6 depending on if you’re counting Pearland/Alvin/Brazoria.
Evacuating is possible but what many people don’t understand about urban search and rescue is that the misery is not evenly spread; Supermarkets over in West U are actually open according to Facebook. Why would they evacuate West U? Meanwhile, the Heights, Acres Homes, Humble, etc..on the north side are getting hammered. They should have fled it would seem.

The point? Houston is large. Not small as you seem to think. It is not densely populated. As you seem to think.
#14838391
Zagadka wrote:The year I spent in Joe Arpaio’s tent jail was hell. He should never walk free.

What else would you a biased illegal revengeful Mexican criminal alien say about his jailer? He certainly would not be expected to praise the Sheriff. Not a credible witness, in my opinion.

Suntzu wrote:Poor wetback spent a year of nights in jail for multiple DWIs.

And poor Sheriff Arpaio could have spent 6 months in jail for doing his job.

Thanks to the Trump of God, the Sheriff has been forgiven of imaginary left-wing sins.
Praise the Lord.
#14838396
4cal wrote:Well, first you’re off by about 3-4 million folks. There are not that many.

Secondly, and again, the comment was made that it was a small area. Houston’s topography is not small; it’s spread out into three counties (actually 5 if not 6 depending on if you’re counting Pearland/Alvin/Brazoria.
Evacuating is possible but what many people don’t understand about urban search and rescue is that the misery is not evenly spread; Supermarkets over in West U are actually open according to Facebook. Why would they evacuate West U? Meanwhile, the Heights, Acres Homes, Humble, etc..on the north side are getting hammered. They should have fled it would seem.

The point? Houston is large. Not small as you seem to think. It is not densely populated. As you seem to think.


Perhaps you should tell the media their figures of 6.8 million for the Houston area are wrong. :roll:
Houston is 627 square miles. That is 20 miles by 31 miles. That is a very small area when talking about disaster scenarios which was my point. When you put that many people in a small area then eventually you will have a disaster. Houston is not the worse case, but as we are seeing it was a problem.
#14838446
One Degree wrote:Perhaps you should tell the media their figures of 6.8 million for the Houston area are wrong. :roll:
Houston is 627 square miles. That is 20 miles by 31 miles. That is a very small area when talking about disaster scenarios which was my point. When you put that many people in a small area then eventually you will have a disaster. Houston is not the worse case, but as we are seeing it was a problem.

What does the population of Houston, Texas have to do with the Pardoning of Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona? I think you are a little off topic. Maybe, way off topic.
#14838451
Hindsite wrote:What does the population of Houston, Texas have to do with the Pardoning of Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona? I think you are a little off topic. Maybe, way off topic.



:lol: I have no idea what happened. :?: Sorry.
How did all this start?

Edit: looks like @4cal first posted on this. :?:
#14843762
Negotiator wrote:So the prison of that guy constantly tortures and sometimes even kills inmates.

And there are people who think thats OK and not an extreme crime.

Yikes.

You don't know that for a fact. You haven't seen Sheriff Arpaio torture are kill anyone. You are either making things up or listening to left-wing propaganda.
Last edited by Hindsite on 15 Sep 2017 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
#14843827
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/pri ... ps-7845679

    So it is a simple, if morbid, question: How many body bags?

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio has refused to answer. His spokesman, Lieutenant Brandon James, said doing the math would take a few weeks.

    It's been six months.

    Searching other databases (the Office of the County Medical Examiner's and the Office of Risk Management's, as well as the U.S. Department of Justice's) revealed that close to 160 people have died in Arpaio's jails.

    But that is an estimate, because the truth is that no outside authority keeps track of how many people die from brutality, neglect, disease, bad health, or old age in Arpaio's jails.

    Federal Judge Neil Wake twice has ruled that medical care is so deficient in the jails as to be "unconstitutional."

    The Department of Justice supposedly monitors conditions in the jails but has shown little or no appetite for confronting Arpaio.
#14843930
Pants-of-dog wrote:http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/prisoners-hang-themselves-in-sheriff-joe-arpaios-jails-at-a-rate-that-dwarfs-other-county-lockups-7845679

    So it is a simple, if morbid, question: How many body bags?

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio has refused to answer. His spokesman, Lieutenant Brandon James, said doing the math would take a few weeks.

    It's been six months.

    Searching other databases (the Office of the County Medical Examiner's and the Office of Risk Management's, as well as the U.S. Department of Justice's) revealed that close to 160 people have died in Arpaio's jails.

    But that is an estimate, because the truth is that no outside authority keeps track of how many people die from brutality, neglect, disease, bad health, or old age in Arpaio's jails.

    Federal Judge Neil Wake twice has ruled that medical care is so deficient in the jails as to be "unconstitutional."

    The Department of Justice supposedly monitors conditions in the jails but has shown little or no appetite for confronting Arpaio.

People die in jails and prison all the time. That is not proof the Sheriff Arpaio tortured and killed any of them.
#14843935
Hindsite wrote:People die in jails and prison all the time. That is not proof the Sheriff Arpaio tortured and killed any of them.


    So it is a simple, if morbid, question: How many body bags?

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio has refused to answer. His spokesman, Lieutenant Brandon James, said doing the math would take a few weeks.

    It's been six months.

    Searching other databases (the Office of the County Medical Examiner's and the Office of Risk Management's, as well as the U.S. Department of Justice's) revealed that close to 160 people have died in Arpaio's jails.

    But that is an estimate, because the truth is that no outside authority keeps track of how many people die from brutality, neglect, disease, bad health, or old age in Arpaio's jails.

    Federal Judge Neil Wake twice has ruled that medical care is so deficient in the jails as to be "unconstitutional."

    The Department of Justice supposedly monitors conditions in the jails but has shown little or no appetite for confronting Arpaio.
#14843980
Pants-of-dog wrote:As long as we agree that Arpaio's prisons could easily have killed one of those 160 people.

I have no idea if 160 prisoners were killed by anyone. If anyone was killed it could have been due to fights among the prisoners or due to some prisoners attacking the guards who defended themselves. Who Knows? I don't really care for it is not important to me.
Is Trump Unpatriotic?

I believe President Trump is among the most Patrio[…]

....says the supposed Christian who cannot recogni[…]

PRs have the most privileged VIP status in Singa[…]

Everyday Life in Fascist Society

Settle down guys, the lines been reached. Hooters […]