UNGA calls for lifting US blockade of Cuba - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#14862361
Bulaba Jones wrote:That is a literal no-brainer: America would make money with Cuba without an embargo making money-making mostly nonexistent. America does not make money with Cuba with the embargo. While America gains absolutely nothing with an embargo, it gains something without an embargo in place.


Does it? Do the small economic benefits outweigh winning Florida?
#14862362
Stormsmith wrote:Well, you're $20,000,000,000,000.00 in debt. You tell me. By the way, Cuba runs it's own pharmaceutical industry, and sells to foreigners for a fraction of the price you'd spend stateside. This would force American pharmacies to play ball, and stop ripping you off.

You want me to be in favor of outsourcing our Pharma jobs and business? So that I can pay slightly less for medicine and Cigars?
#14862370
As opposed to upholding the current system and letting Americans rip of their fellows that can afford their medical and bugger those who can't? Damned straight. People need healthcare, plus they can have a nice holiday.

You import everything from China. What's the problem?
#14862372
Stormsmith wrote:As opposed to upholding the current system and letting Americans rip of their fellows that can afford their medical and bugger those who can't? Damned straight. People need healthcare, plus they can have a nice holiday.

You import everything from China. What's the problem?


Rip off? Where does most of development for drugs come from? thats right the US... why would we undermine our own industry?
#14862375
Most countries have drugs. There's nothing special about you, except that most Americans struggle afford them. Your could go anywhere in the world and buy American drugs for far less money then you pay stateside, but it's your call.
#14862382
Oxymoron wrote:Another way to read that is 40% of Cuban Americans will not vote for you if you support ending the embargo.

Since when are you promoting doing what immigrants want?
#14862434
Oxymoron wrote:Meaning why should we end the embargo unless it is on our terms. They must open their markets, and allow our business back to run the place.
Much of the international mess in the world is caused because states have the habit of continuing a policy for the sake of having one and preserving continuity, even if that policy outlived its purpose (irrespective of how ill-conceived that purpose or ineffective that measure may have been in the first place).

Clearly, that is the case with the US embargo against Cuba. The diplomatic art for the USG is not to claim victory against Cuba for the reason of having imposed an embargo, but to find a way to end this policy without losing face. Such an opportunity occurred with the death of Fidel Castro, which Obama did not fully exploit.
#14862436
Oxymoron wrote:Meaning why should we end the embargo unless it is on our terms. They must open their markets, and allow our business back to run the place.
Much of the international mess in the world is caused because states have the habit of continuing a policy for the sake of having one and preserving continuity, even if that policy outlived its purpose (irrespective of how ill-conceived that purpose or ineffective that measure may have been in the first place).

Clearly, that is the case with the US embargo against Cuba. The diplomatic art for the USG is not to claim victory against Cuba for the reason of having imposed an embargo, but to find a way to end this policy without losing face. Such an opportunity occurred with the death of Fidel Castro, which Obama did not fully exploit.
#14862442
Cookie Monster wrote:Much of the international mess in the world is caused because states have the habit of continuing a policy for the sake of having one and preserving continuity, even if that policy outlived its purpose (irrespective of how ill-conceived that purpose or ineffective that measure may have been in the first place).

Clearly, that is the case with the US embargo against Cuba. The diplomatic art for the USG is not to claim victory against Cuba for the reason of having imposed an embargo, but to find a way to end this policy without losing face. Such an opportunity occurred with the death of Fidel Castro, which Obama did not fully exploit.


Again what benefit would it give the US?
#14862445
Oxymoron wrote:Again what benefit would it give the US?


Several benefits have been listed already, and others are not hard to imagine.

But I do not care if it benefits the USA or not. It is not important.

Eventually, some US politician will decide it is their interest to end it and then they will do it if they can figure out how to get money or power out of it.

More importantly, would it benefit Cuba to do so?
#14862450
Pants-of-dog wrote:Several benefits have been listed already, and others are not hard to imagine.

But I do not care if it benefits the USA or not. It is not important.

Eventually, some US politician will decide it is their interest to end it and then they will do it if they can figure out how to get money or power out of it.

More importantly, would it benefit Cuba to do so?


What was listed, was minor economic benefits and possibly losses to key Pharma industries and movement of jobs to Cuba. Yeah that is not really in our interests.

Eventually Cuba will implode, and we will make money on them like the good old days.
#14862452
Oxymoron wrote:What was listed, was minor economic benefits and possibly losses to key Pharma industries and movement of jobs to Cuba. Yeah that is not really in our interests.


Sure. Whatever. Like I said, it doesn’t matter if the US benefits or not.

Eventually Cuba will implode, and we will make money on them like the good old days.


The embargo was supposed to do that. We are now approaching the 60th anniversary of the embargo. If it was going to make Cuba implode, it would have done so by now.

This says that the embargo either has little effect on Cuba, or that it somehow strengthens it.
#14862457
skinster wrote:I read somewhere that close to 75% of Americans want the US to lift the blockade. What do Americans here think? What will people like @jimjam who likes to visit Cuba, do now that Trump is banning Americans from visiting?

I still plan to visit Cuba at the beginning of next year and I kind of feel/hope none of this shit affects me since I have a British passport which I travel with anyhow, but I wonder what is the case for Americans who want to visit while the situation remains as it is or as it was before these new sanctions.


I plan to go to Cuba this Winter and do not think my trip will be affected by America's jingoistic nonsense. There seems to be a clampdown of free lance travel but people who are a part of an organized tour will not be affected. Since I am old and need all the help I can get, I will go the cruise ship route which will circle the island and make various landings. There about a dozen to choose from.

America still has a hair across her ass re Cuba because of the Bay of Pigs and many Cuban ex patriots in, mostly, Florida.

This business about injuries due to sonic devices I do not feel has been conclusively proven. I read a piece that claimed that the alleged injuries cannot be accomplished by sound waves. Further, why would Cuba place one of her primary sources of income, tourism, in danger? They may be heartless foaming at the mouth Commies but they are not stupid.
#14862468
I read that people who've already made travel plans to Cuba (before these new sanctions) won't be affected, but everyone else will. :|

[quote="Finfinder"]They were deliberately obtused, Ill let you know if they find a cure :D[/quote]

What do you mean? Do you have a link? :eek:

They were allowed to run. They boycotted the e[…]

Syrian war thread

The sheepdog meets its master, the sapper who retu[…]

Right Wing Marxism?

Is it possible to be a right-wing Marxist? I've be[…]

Have you revised your precious views on this? ;)[…]