DOJ forces RT-America to file as foreign agent - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#14864656
skinster wrote:Why do people keep going on about RT being "propaganda" as though objectivity exists...somewhere. Where does that happen? Can any of the liberals ITT that support the American government's actions explain which news they get that is propaganda-free?


Personally, I prefer Fox News.
#14864673
Saeko wrote:Personally, I prefer Fox News.


I prefer all the "news" I can get. I consider everything from liberal and conservative mainstream media to alt media to conspiracy theories when I want to understand an issue, and I usually find that that each of the various perspectives contains some bit of insight and information that the others have either barely mentioned or just outright omitted. The only way to develop a sense of all the angles and agendas and really learn to read between the lines is by studying the issues from every available perspective.
#14864679
Exactly. But liberals think that liberal media has no bias and think they're particularly intelligent if they read the NYT, as we heard on that podcast. :D #theworstpeopletrademark

Saeko, you super-duper-clever-quips didn't answer a single question I asked so I don't know why you quoted me, except to remind me that you're not very bright.
#14864698
Sivad wrote:I prefer all the "news" I can get. I consider everything from liberal and conservative mainstream media to alt media to conspiracy theories when I want to understand an issue, and I usually find that that each of the various perspectives contains some bit of insight and information that the others have either barely mentioned or just outright omitted. The only way to develop a sense of all the angles and agendas and really learn to read between the lines is by studying the issues from every available perspective.


That's great, but you forgot take account of the fact that 95% of the population is pants-on-head retarded.
#14864702
They might be less retarded if they had access to news sources that told them more than the 90% of news sources that are controlled by 6 corporations currently.

But people like you Saeko, don't want those extra options, those other options are scary aren't they? The government said you should be afraid of RT and look at you all. :lol:
#14864704
Saeko wrote:That's great, but you forgot take account of the fact that 95% of the population is pants-on-head retarded.


So what are you saying, we should censor disruptive media?
#14864749
skinster wrote:They might be less retarded if they had access to news sources that told them more than the 90% of news sources that are controlled by 6 corporations currently.


No, they would just get more ways to be retarded.

But people like you Saeko, don't want those extra options, those other options are scary aren't they? The government said you should be afraid of RT and look at you all. :lol:


Do you think politicians should not have to disclose the sources of their campaign donations?
#14864783
Saeko wrote:I don't think making a foreign news organization disclose their links to their government is censorship.


That's not what's happened though, RT have been compliant with the US government as far as sharing information.

The DOJ won't say why/how RT is a problem, what laws have been broken or any details about any reports they made that were troublesome.

Saeko wrote:No, they would just get more ways to be retarded.


How would they be more retarded if they had access to more or different information?

Do you think politicians should not have to disclose the sources of their campaign donations?


What does this have to do with what I said? I said nothing about politicians being transparent about where their money comes from, but I would agree they should.
#14864804
Saeko wrote:That's great, but you forgot take account of the fact that 95% of the population is pants-on-head retarded.

Even if this is true, it's very dangerous to let one group of interests (multinational corporations) control all your news and entertainment sources. Even geniuses would be dumbed down by this, so just imagine how much of the pants-on-head-ishness is a result of limiting sources and opinions.
#14864805
skinster wrote:That's not what's happened though, RT have been compliant with the US government as far as sharing information.

The DOJ won't say why/how RT is a problem, what laws have been broken or any details about any reports they made that were troublesome.


I don't think that sentence that I posted described anything that happened at all. It merely states that requiring RT to disclose its links isn't censorship.

How would they be more retarded if they had access to more or different information?


In the same sense that its harder to find your way if you have more paths to choose from but don't know where you're supposed to be going in the first place.

What does this have to do with what I said? I said nothing about politicians being transparent about where their money comes from, but I would agree they should.


Ok, then why shouldn't foreign news organization disclose their links to foreign governments?
#14864807
QatzelOk wrote:Even if this is true, it's very dangerous to let one group of interests (multinational corporations) control all your news and entertainment sources. Even geniuses would be dumbed down by this, so just imagine how much of the pants-on-head-ishness is a result of limiting sources and opinions.


Well I'm not arguing for the elimination of any news sources in the first place, but just because limiting information would make smart people dumber it does not follow that giving more information to dumb people would make them any smarter.
#14864808
Saeko wrote:Well I'm not arguing for the elimination of any news sources in the first place, but just because limiting information would make smart people dumber it does not follow that giving more information to dumb people would make them any smarter.

Actually, yes it does.

Most 'smartness' is socially-constructed via social contact with different types of people. All IQ levels benefit.
#14864819
@Saeko, @skinster,

"Anti-imperialism is just the imperialism of the other guy.

And we have a winner for the dumbest comment ITT so far ^"


can't we all just get along? .......and not attack imperialists?

As far as the OP:

I think all press outlets should be subject to libel laws and to revealing their benefactors. ALL of them.

I am also suspicious of currently allowing them to be involved in illegal leaks without consequence. I think this should be criminal in some way or that they should be forced to reveal their sources by government subpoena if such were issued.

That being said, if any are going to be labeled a foreign agent because of foreign money, then all should be and I guarantee none (of the major news outlets) will be left standing under such a criteria. If this is the case, that means we haven't had free speech for a very long time as all the major outlets have received foreign funding and therefore were, as foreign agents, liable to censorship by the American federal government; however, if it is determined that receiving foreign money is no reason to censor a news outlet, then all, including RT America, will remain free from censorship.

I would be fine with either scenario, as the former would kill all of the current corrupt networks, and the latter would leave things in the same shitty state we are all used to, which is still better than most countries.
#14864831
Saeko wrote:Except the kind that actually matters.

You're being needlessly vague here.

But if you're suggesting that socially-constructed smartness isn't important, I'm going to have to seriously disagree with you. A huge part of scientific discovery and philosophy... is discovered while conversing with someone with fresh ideas. (fresh for you) The book The Republic (a formative work for Western civilization) is based on the social contact of Socrates with the foreign sailors he conversed with. Platonic knowledge was formulated this way. The Greeks learned about life by conversing with foreign sailors and foreign slaves.

This means that limiting social contact the way that suburbia and mass media addiction to... makes us all dumber in very critical ways. And limiting the mass media to 'corporate parrots only' is fatal.

By the way, the word 'nice' comes from the Latin word 'niscere' which means ignorant. And the DOJ is trying to make our media nice. As in : 'if you don't have anything nice to say about America, don't say anything at all.'
#14864835
There is nothing wrong with forcing RT-America to file as foreign agent, because that's exactly what it is, although some other organisations should be forced to do the same as well. Also, it's neither censored nor banned, so why the hysteria? Although many people believe the Russians are the liberators of the world and their propaganda (a potent mix of truth, bullshit, and debauchery/temptation to desert) is a kind of medicine to Americans, they want to disrupt the USA and not cure it, so it's anti-American actually.
#14864990
Beren wrote:There is nothing wrong with forcing RT-America to file as foreign agent, because that's exactly what it is, although some other organisations should be forced to do the same as well. Also, it's neither censored nor banned, so why the hysteria? Although many people believe the Russians are the liberators of the world and their propaganda (a potent mix of truth, bullshit, and debauchery/temptation to desert) is a kind of medicine to Americans, they want to disrupt the USA and not cure it, so it's anti-American actually.


Never mistake honesty for honesty.

They have the seat for four years, actually. The[…]

Lol, a Pile-adian :D

An interesting opinion piece by Israeli author and[…]

Right Wing Marxism?

Rural people, of which I am proud to be, are reli[…]