Michael Flynn has been charged with making a false statement. What next? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#14867622
He is getting a sweet deal from the prosecution BECAUSE he is spilling the beans. That's how it works. If he didn't have information, they'd be aiming for the maximum penalty.

Do you know anything about plea bargains? How can you claim to be American and not know that you get nothing free?
#14867644
Godstud wrote:He is getting a sweet deal from the prosecution BECAUSE he is spilling the beans. That's how it works. If he didn't have information, they'd be aiming for the maximum penalty.

Do you know anything about plea bargains? How can you claim to be American and not know that you get nothing free?


It's been speculated that this isn't that sweet a deal. What's being said is that the scope of this deal is extremely narrow. Mueller has a number of other issues they could nail him on, plus his son could possibly be charged. It might be his best hope is insanity.
#14867645
Godstud wrote:He is getting a sweet deal from the prosecution BECAUSE he is spilling the beans. That's how it works. If he didn't have information, they'd be aiming for the maximum penalty.

Do you know anything about plea bargains? How can you claim to be American and not know that you get nothing free?

Mueller is extremely good at what he does. He has a list of things to charge Flynn with but started with just one while keeping the others in abeyance. If Flynn doesn't dance, additional charges will come down. I expect that Flynn knows this.
#14867647
jimjam wrote:Mueller is extremely good at what he does.

He seems a lot more competent, thorough, and committed than Comey.

He's Prussian. :lol:

Wikipedia wrote:His paternal great-grandfather, Gustave A. Mueller, was a prominent physician in Pittsburgh, whose father August C. E. Müller had immigrated to the United States in 1855 from the Province of Pomerania in Prussia (now Germany).
#14867665
Atlantis wrote:It wouldn't be surprising if Trump himself were to inadvertently provide the evidence that could lead to his impeachment. He obviously can't remember what lie he tweeted when.

Now, he tweeted that he knew that Flynn was lying to the FBI when he sacked him. If he knew that Flynn lied to the FBI at a time he asked the agency to drop its investigation of Flynn or when he sacked Comey, he is finished.

Trump's tweet on Flynn could end presidency


President Trump didn't ask Comey to drop its investigation of Flynn. He made the comment that he hoped Comey could see his way clear to drop it since Flynn was already out. I believe in my heart it was purely a request on behalf of somebody he respected and did not wish to endure any more grief or embarrassment than he already had. He was as sure Flynn was no more guilty of collusion with the Russians than he, Trump, is and Trump is darn sure he isn't guilty of collusion with the Russians or anybody else.

This whole thing about "lying to somebody" is so stupid and arbitrary that it boggles the mind that it is even an issue in most cases. Deliberate effort to cover up a crime is one thing. But to have flawed memory or be somewhat scrambled in the recollection of how something actually went down is not lying or deliberately falsifying information. It is something that happens to all of us unless we have time to thoroughly research it and memorize what we are going to say in deposition or in sworn testimony.

Who among us remembers every single person we ever met? How many of us could recite our exact schedule last week let along last month or the last six months or the last six years. I am continually stumbling across posts I made that I have absolutely no recollection of having made them. I more than once have no memory of having met somebody or a conversation way back when even though the other party in that occasion does remember it.

If Comey would not recommend indictment of Hillary Clinton after stating under oath that many statements she made to Congress were untrue, is it unreasonable for President Trump to ask him to let Flynn slink away in disgrace but with as much dignity as possible?
#14867669
Godstud wrote:He is getting a sweet deal from the prosecution BECAUSE he is spilling the beans. That's how it works. If he didn't have information, they'd be aiming for the maximum penalty.

Do you know anything about plea bargains? How can you claim to be American and not know that you get nothing free?


You really have no clue how our systems work... If the Prosecution had something serious, they would offer a slight reduction in sentencing and less court fees for the defendant. Since they have a wishy washy case his guilty plea is a win for them, without risking being embarrassed. This is as high as this case will ever go, because there is no where to go there are no beans.
#14867673
:lol: They only offer pleas bargains if they want the person to confess or they are cooperating exceptionally well.

I know they have information they are getting from Flynn, because he wouldn't be getting a pleas bargain if he had nothing to bargain with.

You make an idiotic assumption that they have nothing on him. That's a pretty silly thing to assume.

I'll bet you he doesn't serve jail time, but that he gives them information that'll help someone else get busted.
#14867676
Stormsmith wrote:It's been speculated that this isn't that sweet a deal. What's being said is that the scope of this deal is extremely narrow. Mueller has a number of other issues they could nail him on, plus his son could possibly be charged. It might be his best hope is insanity.

You shouldn't pay to much attention to all the speculations from the liberal pundits. They have been known in recent times to get it all wrong, especially when it comes to Trump.
#14867679
Hong Wu wrote:You guys are going to be pretty upset with the ending to this soap opera. One writer has already been fired. :excited:

If you are referring to Ross, he was only suspended for awhile.

ABC Suspends Reporter Brian Ross Over Erroneous Report About Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/02/us/b ... d-abc.html
#14867706
Foxfyre wrote:President Trump didn't ask Comey to drop its investigation of Flynn. He made the comment that he hoped Comey could see his way clear to drop it since Flynn was already out. I believe in my heart it was purely a request on behalf of somebody he respected and did not wish to endure any more grief or embarrassment than he already had. He was as sure Flynn was no more guilty of collusion with the Russians than he, Trump, is and Trump is darn sure he isn't guilty of collusion with the Russians or anybody else.

You are joking!?

Trump isn't known for his compassion or benevolence. He has never had any problems with ditching associates if it profits his own interests. If he tried to protect Flynn, there can only be one reason: Flynn knows enough to sink this presidency. I guess they tried to buy off Flynn, but how much does it cost to pay for an ex US general and/or his sun to go to jail for up to 5 years.

Of course Flynn was in collusion with the Russians. Of course Trump knew about it. Flynn could never have asked the Russians to stop sanctions or their UN veto without approval from the top.

To portray Flynn as the decent and honest guy is utterly hilarious. He is the original crook and conman who doesn't shirk from high treason, kidnapping dissidents and collaborating with foreign tyrants for a handful of dollars. In one word, the kind of shady character Trumps like to surround himself with.
#14867709
Trump is clueless and he also believes he is beyond accountability. Here is a detailed analysis of last nights tweet.

Image

Trump is either 'utterly clueless about his own jeopardy or he truly believes he is beyond accountability'
"I think the obstruction case was already substantial — both circumstantially and through Trump’s own words," said DOJ veteran and former Assistant Deputy Attorney General Bill Yeomans.

"This tweet certainly contributes to the case. He knew Flynn lied to the FBI when he pressed Comey to drop the case and then fired Comey," Yeomans said. "Mostly disturbingly, however, the tweet shows either that the president is utterly clueless about his own jeopardy or he truly believes he is beyond accountability because neither his base nor Republicans in Congress will hold him responsible."

Former FBI special agent Asha Rangappa largely agreed.

"I think if the President knew Flynn had done anything illegal at the time he asked Comey to drop investigation, then yes, it strengthens the [obstruction] case," she said on Saturday.

"I think it also has to be looked at in the context of both him and others on the campaign simultaneously and blanketly denying any contacts with Russia, when the statement of facts Flynn pled to clearly shows the opposite," Rangappa added.

"So asking Comey to drop investigation knowing he had lied to FBI, combined with the pattern of lying about the existence and nature of across his campaign evidences a (corrupt) intent to prevent what would be uncovered by the investigation."

Andy Wright, a former associate counsel to President Barack Obama and Vice President Al Gore, said Trump's tweet " could be construed as an admission that he knew Flynn had lied to the FBI on January 24."

"Later that same week, DOJ tells the WH that Flynn is compromised and President Trump tells Jim Comey he 'needs loyalty.' Then, on Valentine’s Day, the President asks Comey if the FBI could 'let Flynn go,'" Wright said. "Having not received the assurances he sought, he fired Comey under the false pretext of Comey’s handling of the Clinton investigation. As an obstruction of justice timeline, it looks very bad."

The White House initially said Comey was fired because of his handling of the investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server.

Later, however, Trump told NBC's Lester Holt that "this Russia thing" had been a factor in his consideration. He also told Russian officials during an Oval Office meeting one day after firing Comey that dismissing the FBI director had taken "great pressure" off of him.

"Oh my god, he just admitted to obstruction of justice," tweeted former DOJ spokesman Matt Miller. "If Trump knew Flynn lied to the FBI when he asked Comey to let it go, then there is your case."

"So he knew Flynn had lied, and now he’s admitted it. And of course it’s possible he and Flynn discused it at the time," Miller later told Business Insider. "Just unreal."

Did Trump 'direct Flynn to lie to the FBI?'
Wright noted that Flynn's guilty plea also raised a "second obstruction question" related to Trump's tweet: "Did President Trump direct Flynn to lie to the FBI? That would be squarely within the abuses of power the Framers contemplated as they drafted the impeachment clauses."

According to documents filed by Mueller's office on Friday, Flynn called a senior member of Trump's transition team "who was with other senior members of the Presidential Transition Team at the Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida, to discuss what, if anything, to communicate" to Kislyak "about the US Sanctions," the document says.

Trump was at Mar-a-Lago on December 29. A press-pool report from that day indicates that transition officials at Mar-a-Lago included Stephen Miller, K.T. McFarland, Kellyanne Conway, Steve Bannon, and Reince Priebus.

Fox and CBS reported on Friday that it was McFarland who spoke with Flynn about Kislyak on December 29.

But Colin Kahl, a former national security adviser to Vice President Joe Biden, noted that "in coming Deputy National Security Advisors don't order their incoming boss what to do ... unless they were instructed to do so by someone higher in the chain of command."

Former NSC spokesman Ned Price agreed.

"KT McFarland’s recent foreign policy bona fides consisted of being a Fox News talking head," he tweeted. "She wasn’t calling the shots, and certainly not giving her own orders to her putative boss."



http://uk.businessinsider.com/trump-def ... ?r=US&IR=T
#14867715
Harvard law school professor and Legal eagle Alan Dershowitz says Flynn's credibility is worthless and Trump will never be impeached.

Dershowitz called Flynn’s credibility “worthless” because he’s been accused of perjury for denying to the FBI that he discussed sanctions with Russia’s ambassador to the United States.

"I think the administration is not aggressive enough with Mueller," the legal eagle told Laura Ingraham on her FOX News program. "They should be in court challenging what Mueller has been doing," Dershowitz said on the Fox News show. "He is going so far beyond any possible scope of his investigation. For example, there were reports ... that they were investigating whether or not Jared Kushner tried to get the United States to change its policy toward Israel — the resolution condemning Israel for occupying the Western Wall, the holiest place in Judaism. Let's assume that Jared Kushner did that. He should be praised for it. There is nothing criminal about that. What is Mueller doing investigating whether or not somebody during the transition was trying to influence American foreign policy to the benefit of the American people?"

"So I think the Trump administration ought to be more aggressive in challenging the scope of this investigation, challenging subpoenas, challenging who is called as witnesses. This is supposed to be an investigation about whether or not there was illegal, unlawful collusion with Russia. Collusion itself is not a crime. But now what they are doing is going after people for what is the equivalent of jaywalking. Did they sign the right form? Did they include this in the form? That's all in an attempt to try to squeeze them into testifying against the Oval Office," Dershowitz said.
Syrian war thread

The sheepdog meets its master, the sapper who retu[…]

If only I cited tweets from New Jersey-based vegan[…]

Right Wing Marxism?

Is it possible to be a right-wing Marxist? I've be[…]

Have you revised your precious views on this? ;)[…]