The story about 16-year-old Ahed Tamimi - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You're funny!!!

The Gatestone Institute (formerly Stonegate Institute and Hudson New York) is a right-wing[2][3][4] think tank that publishes articles, particularly pertaining to Islam and the Middle East. The organization has attracted attention for publishing false articles.

In 2011[23] and 2012,[6] Gatestone published articles claiming that Europe had Muslim "no-go zones", describing them variously as "off-limits to non-Muslims"[6] and "microstates governed by Islamic Sharia law".[23][24] The claim that there are areas in European cities governed by Sharia is false,[6][23] although many of the areas deemed as "no-go zones" have high levels of unemployment and crime.[24] Gatestone's claims were picked up by many outlets, including FrontPageMag,[23] and Washington Times.[24] The idea of no-go zones originated from Daniel Pipes,[23] who later retracted his claims.

The Gatestone Institute published false articles during the German federal election of 2017.
noir wrote:@B0ycey , your narrative about the "Palestinian" is propaganda.

Sorry @noir, it is you who is the victim of propaganda. I've lost count to the amount of conspiracy tweets you have published.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947%E2%80%9348_Civil_War_in_Mandatory_Palestine

If you know your history, Arabs were on the land first with a higher populous. When the state of Israel was created, this whole mess could have been avoided if the fertile land was divided fairly. Blaming the Soviet Union or the EU for a 1948 UN resolution is so far fetched, it's almost embarassing. People are passionate about the Palestinian cause because there is actually a cause. To suggest that Palestian Arabs were fairly treated is so far from the truth it is unreal. And if it wasn't for the bible suggesting that the land is destined to be Jewish, I suspect this issue would have been over in 1967.
People are "passionate" because it's MSM obsession (the turning point was the 1973 oil embargo). Nothing else. If the BBC will be as obsessed with Pakistani occupation in Baluchistan as it's with Pallywood, people would be passionate with the Baluchistanis plight as well. The avarege Joe trusts the MSM, notice how the other guy in this thread is demanding only MSM sources despite being oil bribed outlets.
noir wrote:People are "passionate" because it's MSM obsession (the turning point was the 1973 oil embargo). Nothing else. If the BBC will be as obsessed with Pakistani occupation in Baluchistan as it's with Pallywood, people would be passionate with the Baluchistanis plight as well. The avarege Joe trusts the MSM, notice how the other guy in this thread is demanding only MSM sources despite being oil bribed outlets.

Ok, say I accept that the amount of coverage the Palistinian cause that has screened/printed from media outlets (you single out the BBC) has resulted in the public being passionate about the Palistinian cause over say Kashmir, Baluchistan or Kosovo right to independence, does that mean that there isn't a cause that people should be passionate about because it is more prominent in the public eye? Surely not.

The situation of this cause is different than the others BTW. Arab Palistians were promised their own land for support during WWII. What they got was half of what was expected, with less fertile land with a higher populous of people because the Jews were promised the same thing. If the land was shared out fairly, there be no issue to be passionate about. And I suspect the ME would be more peaceful. And the reason this is not the case today is down to the piss poor 1948 resolution.
In the sum: the situation in Israel and Palaestina is still only getting worse and even worse.

I might be a traditionalist but I dont believe in "Sippenhaft" (to my surprise there seems to be no english word for that; it means kin liability - if members of your family committed a crime, you are liable too).

That means you cannot blame that girl for what another family member has done when she herself was still a baby.
B0ycey wrote:But it is the melee that follows that is definitely not acceptable. Clearly Israel have taken an interest in her family due to their social media work on their plight to free Palestine. They are supressing and intimidating her family members who are fighting for her justice and also trumping up her charges to imprison her for longer. Her offense, in the grand scheme of things is not that bad. And whether the accusation of rape was real or not, she deserves to be treated with dignaity whilst in custody.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but the reason Ahed was arrested was because her family uploaded the video where the soldiers were harassing the family and the response that came from Ahed, her cousin and mother. It then went viral and there were calls in Israeli media to have something done about it, because seeing a teenage girl show no fear, to the point of hitting the occupying soldiers, is not good PR for Israel.

The Tamimi family in particular are targeted because they refuse to submit to their occupation and are vocal about that. They protest against it every week, along with many others in their village.

But as to the final line, expecting zionists to treat Palestinian children with dignity is nice but doesn't happen; the IDF and Israeli police beat up and execute children in front of cameras on the streets, I can't even imagine what happens behind the scenes, although we know what does happen since one of the reports I posted ITT states half of Palestinian children are sexually abused and tortured in Israeli detention, it wouldn't be a stretch to say all are beaten at a minimum.

Hopefully they will see sense and free this girl and perhaps work towards a two state solution so this kind of event cannot occur again. But I won't hold my breath.

Ahed is likely to be imprisoned for 10 years. I don't know why anyone thinks a two-state solution is viable at this stage. Look at the reality on the ground, Israel has killed that idea off years ago by annexing land that was meant for a Palestinian state and placing hundreds of thousands of settlers onto it. Palestine/Israel as it stands right now is one state that has democracy and equality for Jews and occupation, apartheid, siege and blockade for non-Jews.

If anyone wants to write to Ahed Tamimi you can here:
skinster wrote:But as to the final line, expecting zionists to treat Palestinian children with dignity is nice but doesn't happen; the IDF and Israeli police beat up and execute children in front of cameras on the streets, I can't even imagine what happens behind the scenes, although we know what does happen since one of the reports I posted ITT states half of Palestinian children are sexually abused and tortured in Israeli detention, it wouldn't be a stretch to say all are beaten at a minimum.

Sure, but the bottom line is that children should be treated with dignity by Israel - no matter what. And if the cases arise where they don't, then it is another reason for people to hate Israel and another reason to support Palestinian independence. Israel are losing friends by not following U.N. protocol. If children are being killed, beaten, sexually abused or tortured by authority command then whoever is giving the orders should be sent to the Hague. I find it amazing that Jews are ensuing Hitlers tactics when they suffered from the same ordeal - and yet Zionists refuse to acknowledge the hypocracy.

Ahed is likely to be imprisoned for 10 years. I don't know why anyone thinks a two-state solution is viable at this stage. Look at the reality on the ground, Israel has killed that idea off years ago by annexing land that was meant for a Palestinian state and placing hundreds of thousands of settlers onto it. Palestine/Israel as it stands right now is one state that has democracy and equality for Jews and occupation, apartheid, siege and blockade for non-Jews.

Well I think a two state system is very viable. Not only that, it is also the only solution to solve this mess too. I understand that settlers have to be re-housed, but so fucking what. The amount Israel spend on arms could easily be spent on building new homes instead.

A two state system won't occur over night, and sure Jerusalem would need to remain independent (and perhaps in-fighting might remain there). But the only reason this has not happened yet is because nobody wants to give an inch to gain a mile or upset settlers or the US evangelists. Trump and his embassy antics haven't helped either. But if peace can be achieved in NI, it can be achieved in Israel also.
noir wrote:Blame the spinless Israeli goverment for tolereting this evil family for so long

A German writer in a German owned Israeli paper

Much more than a family , in the nuclear sense , the Tamimi are a tribe https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banu_Tamim , among the largest tribes of Arabs , with a lineage traced clear back to Ishmael , the son of Abraham in the Bible . And as the Bible says , one us not to be held accountable for the transgressions of one's family , but rather solely for one's own wrongdoing . https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+18:20&version=NIV And furthermore , her father Bassem Tamimi is an advocate of non-violent resistance tactics http://mondoweiss.net/2015/09/humanity-occupation-resistance/ . So while I do feel that it would be good if Ahed and her family were to denounce , and distance themselves from Ahlam Tamimi , pictured here Image , I do not feel that they should necessarily share blame for what she decided to do . P.S. As a comparison , and for what it's worth , and if this is off topic , the moderators may edit this part of my post out , if people want to believe that that Ahed Tamimi is herself a terrorist , simply based upon her familial relations , they'll really want to think that this one doctor I know of is an extreme Islamist , https://www.uhhospitals.org/find-a-doctor/guvenc-bicer-hacer-33927,based upon some of her friends and relations , in like manner to how the Haaretz article painted Ahed Tamimi , and her immediate family. From what I found on her Facebook friend list page https://www.facebook.com/hacer.guvenc.90/friends?lst=631160301%3A699914384%3A1515432943&source_ref=pb_friends_tl&__nodl , https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152617479927491&set=pb.708517490.-2207520000.1515433015.&type=3&theater , https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=781395945309617&set=pb.100003176575263.-2207520000.1515433969.&type=3&theater - for reference https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_East_Turkestan , https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkistan_Islamic_Party , and finally her relative https://www.facebook.com/fatmanur.guvenc.771/photos?lst=631160301%3A100001753274730%3A1515434117&source_ref=pb_friends_tl&__nodl . In my opinion , while I can understand why someone might be wary of such a person , and not want to have dealings with her until reassured of her good intent , I still feel that we should not be hasty to prejudge her as automatically being exactly like them , by association . I trust that she was at least somewhat vetted by the U.S. State Department , plus she does also have some friends , and associates , whom seem nice . And if one gets to know a wide array of people , it is virtually inevitable that some will tend to be shady .
A large majority of tribes in Palestine are native tribes, Levantian semites, that trace their origins back thousands of years in the land.
And yes, most of them were Christian tribes before they were Muslim tribes and Jewish tribes before they were Christian tribes.
The narrative of "empty land" is the BS.
I wouldn't even bother with noir at this stage since she's clearly full of shiza when it comes to this topic, and very likely a paid hasbara troll.

B0ycey wrote:Sure, but the bottom line is that children should be treated with dignity by Israel - no matter what. And if the cases arise where they don't, then it is another reason for people to hate Israel and another reason to support Palestinian independence. Israel are losing friends by not following U.N. protocol. If children are being killed, beaten, sexually abused or tortured by authority command then whoever is giving the orders should be sent to the Hague. I find it amazing that Jews are ensuing Hitlers tactics when they suffered from the same ordeal - and yet Zionists refuse to acknowledge the hypocracy.

That's because zionists don't care about Palestinians, they may as well be cockroaches to them. All aspects of Israeli society, school, college, the military, healthcare, etc. promote the dehumanization of Palestinians. How else could they treat Palestinians as they do, otherwise?

Well I think a two state system is very viable.

A two state system won't occur over night, and sure Jerusalem would need to remain independent (and perhaps in-fighting might remain there). But the only reason this has not happened yet is because nobody wants to give an inch to gain a mile or upset settlers or the US evangelists. Trump and his embassy antics haven't helped either. But if peace can be achieved in NI, it can be achieved in Israel also.

The two-state solution is dead. Israeli officials have stated recently they're taking the West Bank. I don't think anyone is calling for a two-state solution anymore, except some liberal-zionists (an oxymoron, I know) who don't seem to consider the reality on the ground. Israeli politicians have stated at this stage that there won't even be a Palestinian state. Israelis aren't going to give up the settlements they've spent billions funding and creating. As I said, it's a one state already with democracy and privileges for Jews - like torturing/killing Palestinians with impunity, stealing\ their homes/land etc. - and apartheid for the rest:

What Happened When a Jewish Settler Slapped an Israeli Soldier
Both Ahed Tamimi and Yifat Alkobi were questioned for slapping a soldier in the West Bank, but little else about their cases are similar — simply because one is Jewish, the other Palestinian

This slap didn’t lead the nightly news. This slap, which landed on the cheek of a Nahal soldier in Hebron, did not lead to an indictment. The assailant, who slapped a soldier who was trying to stop her from throwing stones, was taken in for questioning but released on bail the same day and allowed to return home.

Prior to this incident, she had been convicted five times — for throwing rocks, for assaulting a police officer and for disorderly conduct, but was not jailed even once.

In one instance, she was sentenced to probation, and in the rest to a month of community service and practically a token fine, as compensation to the injured parties. The accused systematically failed to heed summonses for questioning or for legal proceedings, but soldiers did not come to drag her out of bed in the middle of the night, nor were any of her relatives arrested. Aside from a brief report by Chaim Levinson about the incident, on July 2, 2010, there were hardly any repercussions to the slap and scratches inflicted by Yifat Alkobi on the face of a soldier who caught her hurling rocks a Palestinians.

The Israel Defense Forces Spokesperson’s Unit said at the time that the army “takes a grave view of any incidence of violence toward security forces,” and yet the assailant goes on living peacefully at home. The education minister didn’t demand that she sit in prison, social media have not exploded with calls for her to be raped or murdered, and columnist Ben Caspit didn’t recommend that she punished to the full extent of the law “in a dark place, without cameras.”

Like Ahed Tamimi, Alkobi has been known for years to the military and police forces that surround her place of residence, and both are considered a nuisance and even a danger. The main difference between them is that Tamimi assaulted a soldier who was sent by a hostile government that does not recognize her existence, steals her land and kills and wounds her relatives, while Alkobi, a serial criminal, assaulted a soldier from her own people and her religion, who was sent by her nation to protect her, a nation in which she is a citizen with special privileges.

Jewish violence against soldiers in the territories has been a matter of routine for years. But even when it seems like there’s no point asking that soldiers in the territories protect Palestinians from physical harassment and vandalism of their property by settlers, it’s hard to understand why the authorities continue to turn a blind eye, to cover up and close cases or not even open them, when the violators are Jews. There is plenty of evidence, some of it recorded on camera. And yet the offenders still sleep at home in their beds, emboldened by divine command and amply funded by organizations that receive state support.

In the winter it’s nice to get warm and cozy under these double standards, but there’s one question that every Israeli should be asking himself: Tamimi and Alkobi committed the same offense. The punishment (or lack thereof) should be the same. If the choice is between freeing Tamimi or jailing Alkobi, which would you choose? Tamimi is to remain in custody for the duration of the proceedings — trial in a hostile military court — and is expected to receive a prison sentence. Alkobi, who was not prosecuted for this offense, and was tried in a civilian court for much more serious offenses, lived at home for the duration of the proceedings. She was represented by a lawyer who did not have to wait at a checkpoint in order to serve his client and her only punishment was community service.

The Likud and Habayit Hayehudi cabinet ministers have no reason to rush to pass a law that would apply Israeli law in the territories. Even without it, the only thing that matters is if you were born Jewish. Everything else is irrelevant.
https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.832939
Last edited by skinster on 08 Jan 2018 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
skinster wrote:That's because zionists don't care about Palestinians, they may as well be cockroaches to them. All aspects of Israeli society, school, college, the military, healthcare, etc. promote the dehumanization of Palestinians. How else could they treat Palestinians as they do, otherwise?

I don't disagree with any of this. That was not my point. My point was that they have an obligation to treat children with dignity. And if they don't, they would lose sympathy and the Palestinian cause grows stronger.

Also to me killing children is a war crime and if evidence arises where orders have been given to kill, torture or sexually abuse children then whoever has given that order should be sent to the Hague. But I am quite aware that US friends seem to evade international law where their enemies seem to be punished to the full extent.

The two-state solution is dead. Israeli officials have stated recently they're taking the West Bank. I don't think anyone is calling for a two-state solution anymore, except some liberal-zionists (an oxymoron, I know) who don't seem to consider the reality on the ground. Israeli politicians have stated at this stage that there won't even be a Palestinian state. Israelis aren't going to give up the settlements they've spent billions funding and creating. As I said, it's a one state already with democracy and privileges for Jews - like torturing/killing Palestinians with impunity, stealing\ their homes/land etc. - and apartheid for the rest:

Sure, I am quite aware of the blocks have been put in place to make the two state system difficult to execute. And perhaps Israel has spent billions of dollars building in the West bank. But the only real hurdle preventing this from happening is the will to do so. As I said, nobody is willing to lose an inch to gain a mile. Nobody thought there be peace in NI until there was so I won't give up hope entirely. And of course, Israel would no doubt have to concede more than Palestine. And Sure, their government doesn't want to do so. So yes, this appears to be dead in the water. And perhaps things may never change. But it is only be prevented from happening due to political differences, not impossibilties. And that is the difference with it being and not being a viable solution.

But nonetheless, there never be peace in Israel until a two state system occurs. So if it never occurs, there will never be peace in Israel. It is that simple.
B0ycey wrote:My point was that they have an obligation to treat children with dignity. And if they don't, they would lose sympathy and the Palestinian cause grows stronger.

They have no obligation for anything since they are offered complete impunity for everything, which is why they continue.

There are some changes being made by outside actors though, particularly British and one American politician who is pushing for action against the abuse of Palestinian children held by Israel. I posted about them in another thread...

But nonetheless, there never be peace in Israel until a two state system occurs. So if it never occurs, there will never be peace in Israel. It is that simple.

The two state solution is dead. What you should be pushing for is a one-state solution - which it already is - but with equality for all - which currently isn't the case.

DSA Statement on Ahed Tamimi
Ahed Tamimi is a 16 year-old Palestinian girl living in Occupied Palestine. She is also a political leader, a global symbol of resistance to occupation and oppression. Palestine is under Israeli occupation and last month Ahed was filmed standing up to Israeli soldiers at her family home. Israeli forces had recently shot her 15 year-old cousin, Muhammad Fadel Tamimi, in the face with a rubber bullet at a protest against U.S. President Trump.

When the soldiers raided her home, Ahed resisted. She defended her family, her land, and her people. For that, she now faces 12 charges before an Israeli military tribunal for everything from incitement to rock throwing. According to Haaretz, the Israeli military tribunals “deal with all criminal and security cases involving Palestinians, from their detention through their appeals” with 99.74 percent ending in conviction. Rock throwing alone carries a prison sentence of up to twenty years.

Though she is young, Ahed has long been a leader in the struggle against the oppression of the Palestinian people. In yet another example of the United States government’s alliance with the occupation, Ahed was scheduled to participate in a January 2017 speaking tour No Child Behind Bars: Living Resistance From the US to Palestine, but the U.S. government put a hold on her visa and she was unable to attend.

We unequivocally stand in solidarity with Ahed Tamimi and all those struggling for the liberation of the Palestinian people in Occupied Palestine. We also stand with the 63 Israeli youth who recently wrote a letter saying they won't serve in the IDF. We recognize our government’s active collaboration with the occupation and oppression of the Palestinian people and we are against it, as evidenced by DSA’s 2017 national convention passing a resolution in support of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement. Ahed must be released from custody immediately, with the charges dropped--so too should the hundreds of other Palestinian children held in military detention.

Should she be released and allowed to travel to the United States, we would be honored to co-sponsor an event at which Ahed and her family of leaders speak. We encourage all members to follow Ahed’s story and continue with our organization’s efforts to support the BDS movement.
http://www.dsausa.org/statement_on_ahed_tamimi
B0ycey wrote:Also to me killing children is a war crime and if evidence arises where orders have been given to kill, torture or sexually abuse children then whoever has given that order should be sent to the Hague

Israel does not kill, torture or rape children.
You got carried away by Skinster's extremely biased postings, using sources like electronicintifada, mondoweis, and other shite from and for the anti Israel zealots.
Skinster is calling noir a paid-up hasbara poster but her fanatic stances about Israel should make us suspicious about her origins (Pakistan) and maybe she is a paid-up Hezbollah or Iran poster.

Israel stops Arabs from using lethal violence on the streets, like for instance throwing rocks or using slings or catapults. There have been deaths already so Israel has legalised using any measures necessary to stop that nonsense. And rightly so.

But stating that Arab children are tortured and raped in Israeli prisons is pure propaganda.
Ter wrote:But stating that Arab children are tortured and raped in Israeli prisons is pure propaganda.

Just to be clear, I haven't stated anything of such. The only thing I wrote was that if evidence arises of such actions then whoever is given the orders should be prosecuted. I stand by that statement.

Skinster fights for her own beliefs BTW. I agree with her stance that Palestinians should be treated equally under the current one state system, but I definitely don't agree with her stance that we should give up on the two state system because it's too hard or that because currently both sides won't compromise the idea is 'dead'. Given enough time even attitudes can soften.
Boycey, you seem to be the only one calling for a two-state solution nowadays. It's kind of odd. The entire thing was a sham in order for Israel to steal more and more of Palestine, since that is exactly what happened and continues to this day.

Ter wrote:Israel does not kill, torture or rape children.

Human Rights Watch: Israel Security Forces Abuse Palestinian Children

Israel Tortures Palestinian Children, Amnesty Report Says

The UN’s damning report on Israel and torture: The desperate case of Palestinian youth in the occupied territory

Torture of Palestinian Detainees by Shin Bet Investigators Rises Sharply

Palestinian children 'abused' in Israeli jail

UN report documents abuse of Palestinian children by Israeli forces

Sexual Abuse Against Palestinian Child Detainees Reported

40% of Palestinian Children Detained by Israel Sexually Abused; Virtually All Tortured

The United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC) published a report last week accusing Israel of committing abuses against Palestinian children, including torture, solitary confinement and threats of death and sexual assault in prisons.

Defense for Children International: Year-in-review: Worst abuses against Palestinian children in 2016

In 2013, a UNICEF report said Israel was systematically abusing young detainees, new data shows little has changed

Australian film ‘Stone Cold Justice’ on Israel’s torture of Palestinian children:

etc.

US rep Betty McCollum from Minnesota along with 9 co-sponsors have introduced a bill to stop the abuse and torture of Palestinian children by Israeli authorities.

==================================================

Jonathan Cook wrote:Ahed Tamimi Offers Israelis a Lesson Worthy of Gandhi
Sixteen-year-old Ahed Tamimi may not be what Israelis had in mind when, over many years, they criticised Palestinians for not producing a Mahatma Gandhi or Nelson Mandela.

Eventually, colonized peoples bring to the fore a figure best suited to challenge the rotten values at the core of the society oppressing them. Ahed is well qualified for the task.

She was charged last week with assault and incitement after she slapped two heavily armed Israeli soldiers as they refused to leave the courtyard of her family home in the West Bank village of Nabi Saleh, near Ramallah. Her mother, Nariman, is in detention for filming the incident. The video quickly went viral.

Ahed lashed out shortly after soldiers nearby shot her 15-year-old cousin in the face, seriously injuring him.

Western commentators have largely denied Ahed the kind of effusive support offered to democracy protesters in places such as China and Iran. Nevertheless, this Palestinian schoolgirl – possibly facing a long jail term for defying her oppressors – has quickly become a social media icon.

While Ahed might have been previously unknown to most Israelis, she is a familiar face to Palestinians and campaigners around the world.

For years, she and other villagers have held a weekly confrontation with the Israeli army as it enforces the rule of Jewish settlers over Nabi Saleh. These settlers have forcibly taken over the village’s lands and ancient spring, a vital water source for a community that depends on farming.

Distinctive for her irrepressible blonde hair and piercing blue eyes, Ahed has been filmed regularly since she was a small girl confronting soldiers who tower above her. Such scenes inspired one veteran Israeli peace activist to anoint her Palestine’s Joan of Arc.

But few Israelis are so enamored.

Not only does she defy Israeli stereotypes of a Palestinian, she has struck a blow against the self-deception of a highly militarized and masculine culture.

She has also given troubling form to the until-now anonymised Palestinian children Israel accuses of stone-throwing.

Palestinian villages like Nabi Saleh are regularly invaded by soldiers. Children are dragged from their beds in the middle of the night, as happened to Ahed during her arrest last month in retaliation for her slaps. Human rights groups document how children are routinely beaten and tortured in detention.

Many hundreds pass through Israeli jails each year charged with throwing stones. With conviction rates in Israeli military courts of more than 99 per cent, the guilt and incarceration of such children is a foregone conclusion.

They may be the lucky ones. Over the past 16 years, Israel’s army has killed on average 11 children a month.

The video of Ahed, screened repeatedly on Israeli TV, has threatened to upturn Israel’s self-image as David fighting an Arab Goliath. This explains the toxic outrage and indignation that has gripped Israel since the video aired.

Predictably, Israeli politicians were incensed. Naftali Bennett, the education minister, called for Ahed to “end her life in jail”. Culture minister Miri Regev, a former army spokeswoman, said she felt personally “humiliated” and “crushed” by Ahed.

But more troubling is a media debate that has characterized the soldiers’ failure to beat Ahed in response to her slaps as a “national shame”.

The venerable television host Yaron London expressed astonishment that the soldiers “refrained from using their weapons” against her, wondering whether they “hesitated out of cowardice”.

But far more sinister were the threats from Ben Caspit, a leading Israeli analyst. In a column in Hebrew, he said Ahed’s actions made “every Israeli’s blood boil”. He proposed subjecting her to retribution “in the dark, without witnesses and cameras”, adding that his own form of revenge would lead to his certain detention.

That fantasy – of cold-bloodedly violating an incarcerated child – should have sickened every Israeli. And yet Caspit is still safely ensconced in his job.

But aside from exposing the sickness of a society addicted to dehumanizing and oppressing Palestinians, including children, Ahed’s case raises the troubling question of what kind of resistance Israelis think Palestinians are permitted.

International law, at least, is clear. The United Nations has stated that people under occupation are allowed to use “all available means”, including armed struggle, to liberate themselves.

But Ahed, the villagers of Nabi Saleh and many Palestinians like them have preferred to adopt a different strategy – a confrontational, militant civil disobedience. Their resistance defies the occupier’s assumption that it is entitled to lord it over Palestinians.

Their approach contrasts strongly with the constant compromises and so-called “security cooperation” accepted by the Palestinian Authority of Mahmoud Abbas.

According to Israeli commentator Gideon Levy, Ahed’s case demonstrates that Israelis deny Palestinians the right not only to use rockets, guns, knives or stones, but even to what he mockingly terms an “uprising of slappings”.

Ahed and Nabi Saleh have shown that popular unarmed resistance – if it is to discomfort Israel and the world – cannot afford to be passive or polite. It must be fearless, antagonistic and disruptive.

Most of all, it must hold up a mirror to the oppressor. Ahed has exposed the gun-wielding bully lurking in the soul of too many Israelis. That is a lesson worthy of Gandhi or Mandela.
http://www.palestinechronicle.com/ahed- ... hy-gandhi/

Interview with Ahed's father:
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Also, the evacuation of Rafah has not started. De[…]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and […]

"Five years later, Ms. Pelosi has stepped dow[…]

The interesting thing about the police repression […]