US government has shut down - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

There were some things about this whole thing that didn't add up, so I did a little bit of research and thinking and here's what's happening.

First, the Senate's reconciliation system (where it takes 51 votes to pass something, not 60) applies to funding issues. So the Republicans could end this shutdown any time they want. They are letting the Dems do it because they know it polls badly for them.

Second, the Dems are taking them up on the offer because they want to signal to their base. But why signal to their base if it's going to cost them the middle, which is what polls strongly suggest?

The most likely conclusion at this point in time that I can see is that #ReleaseTheMemo is going to cost them the middle anyway, so it's time to #Resist and try to minimize damage to their base as well.
The Great Pissing Contest has begun. How predictable and meaningless is this. I think Huey got it right almost a century ago. As much as things change, they remain the same.

[youtube]KLyfrb15v-Q[/youtube]

But, permit me to join in the fun :lol: . Donald is the boss presiding over the playpen and he is also the self acknowledged greatest deal maker of all time. He's the boss and he failed to make a deal. :hmm:
:lol:

The Democrats blocked, a continuation of government funding that included nothing with which they disagree. That is obstructionism, and it is irresponsible. Democrats fault.

There was a great deal in the bill with which they disagree. That is why we are on a CR. I recommend a civics class.

For hose that keep saying the Republicans have control.
*Nice try but you need 60 votes to pass a bill. Are you saying the Republicans should have changed the voting rule?

They did it for a supreme court justice. Not this? Why? Because they know it is unpopular with the American people and they want cover. Please note, that 5 republicans voted against this bill. Why do you think that is?

Democrats are blocking a bill for the continuation of government funding that included nothing with which they disagree. DACA has nothing to do with it. Proves they are at fault and just playing politics.

DACA has everything to do with it. We are talking 700,000 people who could have their lives ruined. More people than the entire population of Vermont. Way more than the population of Wyoming or Alaska. This is a small problem to you? The republicans have proved to be the heartless fucks that we all knew they were. They could have simply included protections for DACA, which Trump and almost all of the republican senators say they wanted and they would have had their CR and maybe an actual budget. But now. The idiot in the Whitehouse pulled out of a deal less than a week after he called DACA "a bill of love" and said he would sign whatever the legislature sent him. Get your head out of your ass. The rest of us actually watch the news. This is a Trump fuck as usual.

* Why didn't your Messiah deal with DACA when he had control of both houses if this issue is so important.
All reasons why this is "the Schumer shutdown" you all know it anyway, but its fun to read the lame attempts to prove otherwise.

Who are you referring to as "your Messiah"? Obama? I am a republican. But in fairness President Obama was the author of DACA. A bill that the majority of republicans say they support now. You really don't have a clue do you? :roll:
Godstud wrote:It's the Republicans who shut down the government, not the Democrats. :lol:

To repeat myself:

Right, that's why 90% of Republican Senators voted for the CR and 90% of Democrats voted against it, enough so that even if 100% of Republicans had voted for it there wouldn't be enough votes to overcome the 60-vote requirement of the ludicrous filibuster rules currently in place -- and all this for a bill that doesn't have a single aspect I'm aware of that Democrats oppose. No, this is the Schumer Shutdown. If the Democrats drag it on long enough, expect calls to extend the Reid Rule to CRs.

Hong Wu wrote:First, the Senate's reconciliation system (where it takes 51 votes to pass something, not 60) applies to funding issues. So the Republicans could end this shutdown any time they want. They are letting the Dems do it because they know it polls badly for them.

Reconciliation, that allows the Senate to pass a bill without a filibuster, can only be used once a year for revenue, and once for spending; any bill that includes both counts for both. The Republicans would be idiots to use it for a bill that’s only supposed to keep the government open for a month, though the Democrats would certainly be happy if they did.
It says a lot I think that Democrats are shutting down the government but having their media proxies say that it's Republicans shutting it down. They don't want to own what they're doing from the start. Even before the internet this would have been an audacious statement for them to make.
Donald and the Republicans serve up a shit deal which Schumer and the Democrats turn down and it's the "Schumer shutdown" :lol: Looks to me that Donald the great deal maker met his match in Schumer who declined to go for one of the oldest con man tricks ever ......... bait and switch.

Perhaps it's the Donald shutdown since he offered a shit deal via the ole bait and switch. If Donald had simply done something that he rarely if ever has done, negotiate in good faith, there would be no shutdown.
The Immortal Goon wrote:This is 100% Mitch McConnell.

I agree that Mitch McConnell probably has the power to go "nuclear" like Senator Harry Reid did when he changed the Senate rules to confirm Obama appointed judges by a simple majority vote.

McConnell took advantage of Senator Harry Reid's rule changes, but for some traditional reason, he is hesitant on going "full nuclear" to get a full budget passed and avoid a shutdown as President Trump has requested.

The 2013 government shutdown, as I recall, was begun by the filibuster of Ted Cruz. Remember, he read "Green eggs and Ham" during that filibuster to prevent the funding of Obamacare. This was not something that McConnell supported. Cruz did not get along with McConnell very well and even accused McConnell of lying to him to get his vote.

However, the shutdown now is different from the one in 2013 because Chuck Schumer and the Democrats demands for DACA is not a funding issue and should not be included in a budget bill. DACA should be in a separate immigration bill. And the President with most of the Republicans have already agreed to that, but in a later bill, not in the budget. I believe McConnell put forth this CR bill that had nothing in it that Democrat objected to so that the priority of funding the Government by the January 19 deadline could continue for a month, while the wording of the DACA Immigration bill could be worked out. The deadline for DACA is not until March and is of lesser priority than funding the government.

The President has given the 4 basic things he wanted in a meeting with the Democrat and Republican leaders in the Senate in a White House meeting. He even said he would trust them to work it out and he would sign it when it passed both House and Senate.

The fact that he asked questions and spoke a curse word about something that was unofficially brought to him without going through the full House and Senate, does not mean he has changed his mind as Durbin and Graham seem to claim.

Chuck Schumer is simply playing obstruction politics by shutting down the government because of DACA, since they don't really object to anything in this CR budget bill. There was 4 Democrats that voted for the bill and not to shut down the government and I believe 4 Republicans that voted against the CR bill because it did not last for a full year. I am told, McConnell voted against it when he saw there was not enough votes to pass in order that he could reintroduce it with changes, as per Senate rules. If Schumer and the Democrats continue their obstruction, then eventually it is going to force McConnell to go "nuclear" to stop the government shutdown. Perhaps this is what Trump wants.

It appears to me that Schumer is being given just enough rope to hang himself with the "Schumer Shutdown." We shall see. HalleluYah

I just turned the channel to CSPAN to listen to the Budget Shutdown speeches. The Democrats seem to only want to talk about DACA and the "dreamers", not about the budget. Why is this?
ness31 wrote:In 2013 the Tea Party rabble of the Republicans didn’t raise the debt ceiling due to Obamacare, no? Correct me if I’m wrong but that situation and it’s timing are very different to hitching the Dreamer cause to the appropriation of funds.

Democrats are just reminding Trump voters of why they voted for him in the first place. It's kind of a dumb strategy on their part. I love a government shutdown. It think it's great. People who live off the government teet think that shutdowns are a disaster and someone must be blamed. Shutting down the government means smaller government for a short time. It's a good thing.

Doug64 wrote:all this for a bill that doesn't have a single aspect I'm aware of that Democrats oppose. No, this is the Schumer Shutdown. If the Democrats drag it on long enough, expect calls to extend the Reid Rule to CRs.

That's not out of the question.

Finfinder wrote:It hilarious to read these leftist posts which are filled with such desperation in trying to put this on the Republicans.

Who cares either way? The government is shut down, which is good.

Drlee wrote:DACA has everything to do with it. We are talking 700,000 people who could have their lives ruined.

Because they have to return to their "shithole" countries?

Hindsite wrote:McConnell took advantage of Senator Harry Reid's rule changes, but for some traditional reason, he is hesitant on going "full nuclear" to get a full budget passed and avoid a shutdown as President Trump has requested.

I think he should go full nuclear. That way we can get rid of more of ObamaCare too.

Hindsite wrote:However, the shutdown now is different from the one in 2013 because Chuck Schumer and the Democrats demands for DACA is not a funding issue and should not be included in a budget bill. DACA should be in a separate immigration bill.

Right. This wont hurt Trump with his base, so Trump should just sit tight. November is a long way off. It's just the Washington swamp that is adversely affected by this sort of thing--and they are mostly Democrats. The very rich establishmentarians who live off the government teet will eventually cave. They don't care about DACA as much as their next fat bit of government largesse. So I think we should just leave it shut down as long as humanly possible.
blackjack21 wrote:They don't care about DACA as much as their next fat bit of government largesse. So I think we should just leave it shut down as long as humanly possible.

The shutdown may stop tax return payments, but I bet it will not effect the tax collection.
:lol: The Republicans have control of the government, so it's THEY who shut it down. Trying to fob it off on the Democrats is just the usual stupid shit the Republicans do, and no one is buying it, except the moronic Trump base. But they'd believe him if he said he walked on water. :moron:
I'm wondering if this whole blame the Republicans for the shutdown thing isn't some kind of misinformation campaign. The Dems appear to be in disarray. If that's true it could be a sign that the upcoming memo release is so damaging to them that their chain of command has broken. 18 days or so to go!
Democrats in disarray?? Are you mental?

The Republicans have control of the Senate. They can't even work with each other.
Godstud wrote:Democrats in disarray?? Are you mental?

The Republicans have control of the Senate. They can't even work with each other.

Are you high right now? You're getting everything wrong. The Senate works off of 60 votes normally etc. They don't have 60 votes. You don't seem to care about details like this and are just spam posting insults. I said they're in disarray because they want to own the shutdown ("we're doing it over DACA") and not own it at the same time ("Republicans caused the shutdown") which doesn't make sense because DACA was never legislation.

It seems that the US shutdown is costing approximately two billion dollars a day.
WASHINGTON -- The government shutdown (2013) has taken at least $24 billion out of the United States economy, the financial ratings agency Standard & Poor's said Wednesday.

The firm said the shutdown caused it to cut its forecast of gross domestic product growth in the fourth quarter by at least 0.6 percentage point. The agency lowered its estimate for GDP growth to close to 2 percent from 3 percent.

The estimate represents a staggering cost to the economy of a completely self-inflicted political catastrophe. Unlike the 2008 economic crisis and other past recessions, the government shutdown had nothing to do with larger economic trends. The numbers show Washington's brinksmanship caused real damage beyond furloughed government workers and the Washington, D.C., region.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/g ... _n_4110818
Hong Wu wrote:Are you high right now? You're getting everything wrong. The Senate works off of 60 votes normally etc. They don't have 60 votes. You don't seem to care about details like this and are just spam posting insults. I said they're in disarray because they want to own the shutdown ("we're doing it over DACA") and not own it at the same time ("Republicans caused the shutdown") which doesn't make sense because DACA was never legislation.

Godstud lives in Thailand. That is a country near Vietnam and China. Noemon Edit: Rule 2 Violation

anarchist23 wrote:It seems that the US shutdown is costing approximately two billion dollars a day.

If you want to believe left-wing political propaganda.
@Hindsite you live in Georgia. What would you know about anything aside from how to be racist? :D

Hindsite wrote:Godstud lives in Thailand.
That's the ONLY thing you've gotten right, in a very long time.

Hindsite wrote:That is a country near Vietnam and China.
Thailand does not share a border with either China nor Vietnam. Their politics are decidedly different as well, but I wouldn't expect an American to know much about anything not associated with themselves.

I am as knowledgeable or maybe moreso, than more Americans about American politics. I know that'll hurt some American egos, but it's true, and you know it. Suck it, fanboys!

Some of the Republicans voted against these bills. That's the Republicans for you, not Democrats. They don't support their leader, because their leader is a cunt. Also, didn't Trump say that they had agreed on the bipartisan issues? Is he lying? Is he just a poor leader?
Godstud wrote:@Hindsite you live in Georgia. What would you know about anything aside from how to be racist? :D

That's the ONLY thing you've gotten right, in a very long time.

Thailand does not share a border with either China nor Vietnam. Their politics are decidedly different as well, but I wouldn't expect an American to know much about anything not associated with themselves.

I am as knowledgeable or maybe moreso, than more Americans about American politics. I know that'll hurt some American egos, but it's true, and you know it. Suck it, fanboys!

Some of the Republicans voted against these bills. That's the Republicans for you, not Democrats. They don't support their leader, because their leader is a cunt. Also, didn't Trump say that they had agreed on the bipartisan issues? Is he lying? Is he just a poor leader?

I did not say anything about any borders. I said "near" - like on a map.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 999999&z=6

Some of the Democrats voted for the bill too. This is Trump's great deal making ability in progress. He is simply holding out for the best deal. HalleluYah
anarchist23 wrote:
It seems that the US shutdown is costing approximately two billion dollars a day.

Hindsight wrote:
If you want to believe left-wing political propaganda.

Does Fox News propagate left-wing political propaganda? lol
The temporary funding measure keeps the federal government open and allows ... The 16-day government shutdown in 2013 cost the country $24 billion of lost economic activity.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01 ... -know.html

Last edited by anarchist23 on 22 Jan 2018 13:19, edited 3 times in total.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]