US stock market suffers worst drop in points since September 2008. Why and what next? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

jimjam wrote:Don't they offer a "safe" option for nervous people. Fixed income? Of course "fixed" is just that fixed, the game is rigged and "fixed" is pretty much zero. But, it offers safety and protection.

I opened a bank account recently that offered $250 for a new account. I had to sit through an hour or so listening to a nice young lady explain all of the bank's "products" that I could avail myself of. At one point she got to the interest rate I would reap on my new account ...... 0.01% :eek: I asked her if she was embarrassed to make such an offer to customers.

I have lower risk ETFs and gold (not actual gold, just an ETF that holds only gold) outside of my 401k as a hedge. I guess I should get actual gold at some point.

however, these lower risk ETFs are heavy in bonds, and if the bond market is what's the trouble.... well... there goes that.
Rancid wrote:I have lower risk ETFs and gold (not actual gold, just an ETF that holds only gold) outside of my 401k as a hedge. I guess I should get actual gold at some point.

however, these lower risk ETFs are heavy in bonds, and if the bond market is what's the trouble.... well... there goes that.

Food for thought. Shanghai is weathering the storm but still taking hits. Could be buying opportunities for reputable Shanghai-based funds, if you can parse any..
4cal wrote:I can't wait to hear how the drop was fake news...or how the DJIA 30 stocks are no longer indicative of what "real" America is all about or some derivative of that strain of excuses.....

Most analysts are just reportimg it's a "stock market correction" independent of Trump.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/just-a-big- ... ket-plunge

Not much need to label things fake news at all.... Just play up the fact they had a record bull market over the last year.
Most analysts are just reportimg it's a "stock market correction" independent of Trump.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah and I told the cop when he pulled me over that I wasn't doing 140 kph in a 100 zone. It was merely a speedometer correction.
colliric wrote:Most analysts are just reportimg it's a "stock market correction" independent of Trump.

I suppose they would say that. The same happened in the last big slump and nearly all of these so called analysts were caught with their trousers down. lol

Edit..
European markets have followed Asian markets lower on Tuesday as investors continued to dump shares.
London, Frankfurt and Paris all fell sharply when they opened on Tuesday with losses of up to 3%. In the US overnight the Dow lost 4.6%.
Japan's Nikkei 225 closed down 4.7%.
The sell-off began last week after data in the US showed stronger wage growth, which raised expectations that US interest rates might start to rise more quickly to tackle inflation.
The falls follow some good years for investors. In 2017 the Dow was up 25%, helped by a resurgent economy and strong corporate profits.
London's FTSE stood down 2.46%, or 180 points, at 7,154.57 in early trade.

BBC
colliric wrote:Most analysts are just reportimg it's a "stock market correction" independent of Trump.

In a way, a stock market rout also is a "correction," just a bit deeper.

However, the bottom line is that record low interest rates and quantitative easing cannot go on forever. I think it was clear that Trump's economic policies spelled an end to both.
I imagine this is a real pickle for Trump haters.

So far, the good economy has been Obama's work. But that would suggest that the recent drops are also Obama's fault.

Of course, they could (probably will) set the transition point from Obama to Trump at this exact time. But even that is dangerous because then if the markets go up again, it would have to be credited to Trump at that point.

So what eventually happens I guess is all good things are attributed to the Obama of Light and all bad things to the Trump of Darkness.

I for one don't believe that the forces of dankness are defeated so easily...
Hong Wu wrote:I imagine this is a real pickle for Trump haters.

So far, the good economy has been Obama's work. But that would suggest that the recent drops are also Obama's fault.

The American economy and society are owned and run by investment bankers and war profiteers. Donald and Barack are just actors who are appointed by Wall Street to do PR for their atrocities. You are now ready to face the world with both eyes opened.

Crantag wrote:If you want to know my feeling on it, I think it's the Wild Wild West out there on Wall Street.

The actual collapse of the bond market would basically be financial Armageddon, it seems to me. That doesn't mean it is around the corner or anything. What it does mean is that if you have circumstances which are fueling a bond bubble, you have a Sword of Damocles hanging over you.

Earlier this century, there was some fear mongering over the possibility that China could crash the US bond market by selling their bond holdings, as a means of economic warfare.

One of the many problem with this conspiracy theory was that it didn't consider the fact that this would reverberate to Chinese exports.

But the underlying fear had to do with the fragility of the bond markets.

This is probably an excellent analysis. But it also looks like hockey talk: "If we're going to win the game, we're going to have to really work the puck in the second inning and put the other team in a position where there fighting for their lives."

There's nothing intellectual about observing what hockey players do with a puck, or what financial dictators do to an economy. Do to a people. Do to a culture. Do to the environment.

It's a passive role that you take here, one of helplessness. A mouse describing how it will get eaten by a ferrel cat.
US stock markets swung rapidly on Tuesday, amid frantic Wall Street trading triggered by earlier losses.
US indexes opened about 2% down, then jumped briefly into positive territory before sinking again.
The gyrations followed steep declines on Wall Street on Monday, which sparked a sell-off in Asia and Europe.
Investors are fretting over the prospect of rising interest rates, which push up borrowing costs for companies and consumers.
Analysts have been forecasting for months that the financial markets were due a correction after a long period of rising prices.
Earlier on Tuesday, markets in London, Frankfurt and Paris had initial losses of up to 3%, before recovering some ground. Japan's Nikkei 225 closed down 4.7%.
The steep sell-off began last week after data in the US showed stronger than expected wage growth.
The report came amid other shifts, including new tax cuts, trade tensions, and a sinking dollar, that analysts say could lead inflation to rise faster than expected.
The conditions pose a challenge for the Federal Reserve, which will need to raise interest rates to counter inflation without moving so aggressively that it severely curbs economic activity.

BBC
It's the end of an economic cycle (yes, the Obama recovery), I guess, and it also may have something to do with this:

The U.S. government is set to borrow nearly $1 trillion this year, an 84 percent jump from last year

So while there's no much more room for job creation (US unemployment rate has been 4.1% since Oct. 2017) and an outstanding economic boom, there are great opportunities for investors on the bond market it seems.
@Beren

Yesterday's news included an item on an undocumented man, maybe from Pakistan, who has been living in the US 30 years without having any charges. He's employed, pays taxes etc. He's married and has at least one son and one daughter, about 10 - 12 years old. He was arrested and is to be deported. This man's record for 30 years is exactly what you would want to see on someone who'd you want to immigrate. At this rate, there's going to be a labour shortage. A serious one.
Beren wrote:So while there's no much more room for job creation (US unemployment rate has been 4.1% since Oct. 2017) and an outstanding economic boom, there are great opportunities for investors on the bond market it seems.

How encouraging.

There's still some room for the biggest parasites on earth to make more money.

Perhaps this is a good time to invest in armored vehicles? That might be why Detroit switched production to SUVs and light trucks - to prepare for a world of rich drivers and poor Palestinians.
Last edited by QatzelOk on 06 Feb 2018 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Beren wrote:Sorry @QatzelOk, but people talk about the economy and finance sometimes, we're just mediocre sinners you know.

Yes, but you do this in a completely amoral way, as if there are no moral problems with our present way of distributing resources and opportunities.

It's like listening to Eichmann talk about doing his job to the best of his abilities, no moral strings attached: "You know, if we increase the concentration of Zyclon-B by 10%, we can dispose of twice as many bodies in a week as we are doing now. More efficiency, less waste."

So you don't care if people live or die, as long as you get ahead yourself and get more status symbols than the clique you hang with?

Why should you even exist if you don't give more than a casual flying fuck for the morality of things that you talk about?
Last edited by QatzelOk on 06 Feb 2018 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Beren wrote:I'm really sorry that me casually posting in this thread made you feel contempt for me @QatzelOk, I try to live with that and hope it makes you feel even better about yourself, if it's possible.

The robotic quest to obtain more toxic crap you don't need has its philosophical base in the robotic strategizing of people who don't even know (or care) if their plans are genocidal.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachment[…]

On the epidemic of truth inversion

Environmental factors and epigenetic expressions […]