Cape Town is bracing for “Day Zero” - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

QatzelOk wrote:Your unjustified faith in vaporware will allow corporations to destroy naturally-occuring water supplies.

Congratulations on enabling abusive exploitation. Jesus would be very proud of you.

Praise the Lord!

I don't think we can have faith in humanity and its social systems. The only way out of issues with technology.

What's the best way to get off using oil? Innovate our selfs out of using it.
Rancid wrote:Praise the Lord!
... technology.

What's the best way to get off using oil? Innovate our selfs out of using it.

You mean like by switching to nuclear power like Japan has done?

Or do you mean with tar sands and fracking?

At what point will you lose your faith in gadgets and marketing?
QatzelOk wrote:You mean like by switching to nuclear power like Japan has done?

Or do you mean with tar sands and fracking?

At what point will you lose your faith in gadgets and marketing?

I was thinking wind and solar. The cost of solar is decreasing massively. Pretty sooon it will be stupid not to buy solar panels.

You are the one putting naive faith in humanty.

Qatz, having faith in technical solutions to our problems is far far far more reasonable than having faith that we can change the global capitalist system, that we can change humanity's natural tendency to be greedy and tribalist.
Rancid wrote:You are the one putting naive faith in humanty.

Not just in humanity, but in nature and natural systems.

Qatz, having faith in technical solutions to our problems is far far far more reasonable than having faith that we can change the global capitalist system, that we can change humanity's natural tendency to be greedy and tribalist.

Technology is why we are heading for extinction, so you think the solution is... more technology?

This isn't rational, on your part. It's ideological. Like you'd find in a cult or a paranoid tribal enclave that makes it illegal to associate with outsiders.

In a tribe, it's not important to be right. It's just important to think and say the same things that everyone in your tribe says. "We need more technology" is one of those automatic tribal responses.
QatzelOk wrote:Not just in humanity, but in nature and natural systems.

Technology is why we are heading for extinction, so you think the solution is... more technology?

This isn't rational, on your part. It's ideological. Like you'd find in a cult or a paranoid tribal enclave that makes it illegal to associate with outsiders.

In a tribe, it's not important to be right. It's just important to think and say the same things that everyone in your tribe says. "We need more technology" is one of those automatic tribal responses.

We're gonna go extinct either way, technology is the only thing that gives us a chance at not going extinct beyond the death of our sun.

These are the choice for humanity:
- Do not develop any technology, and rejoin nature. In this scenario, we will go extinct one way or another. Meteor, the sun blows up, etc. etc.
- Develop technology fast, and get the fuck off earth before we destroy it. Yes, we could go extinct faster in this case, but I don't believe we can somehow stop humanity from developing new tech. It's in our nature to invent. Thus, this is the more realistic approach. We could also develop tech to prolong the life of the planet as well.

I say, white knuckle this shit, and hopefully we don't kill ourselves before we find a solution. I'm saying, we should take the risk. It's in our nature anyway.
Handing a stone tablet of very limited options to humanity, Rancid wrote:- Develop technology fast, and get the fuck off earth before we destroy it.

If I was selling technology and didn't care about the fate of future generations, this would be my preferred option.

Otherwise, it's stupid and suicidal - like playing chicken with reality.

QatzelOk wrote:If I was selling technology and didn't care about the fate of future generations, this would be my preferred option.

Otherwise, it's stupid and suicidal - like playing chicken with reality.

Perfect analogy. Yes, I am suggesting we play chicken, basically.

All by itself, yes, it can be considered stupid, yes, I agree 100%. However, if you factor in the practical realities of how humans behave and act. I think our chances are better playing chicken.

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (worl[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to fi[…]

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2024/04/18/ron-des[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]