Oxfam, how could you! - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By foxdemon
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/11/oxfam-staff-raise-concerns-over-charity-vetting-processes-haiti-abuse

Oxfam faces losing funding as crisis grows over abuse claims

Government threatens to end funding unless charity demonstrates ‘moral leadership’ over Haiti sex misconduct claims

Oxfam
Oxfam has been under fire over revelations in the Times on Friday. Photograph: Andy Buchanan/AFP/Getty Images
Oxfam was scrambling on Sunday night to contain a growing crisis over claims of sexual misconduct by aid workers before a crunch meeting on Monday that could see the charity stripped of its government funding.

The Oxfam row is no reason to cut foreign aid
Matthew d'Ancona
Matthew d'Ancona
Read more
Amid anger from the government and the wider aid sector at revelations that Oxfam staff in Haiti paid prostitutes – possibly underage – for sex in 2011, the charity’s chair of trustees, Caroline Thomson, pledged to widen a review of its practices to include the Haiti allegations and admitted “anger and shame that behaviour like that ... happened in our organisation”.

She set out the steps Oxfam would take to avoid a similar scandal in future after the international development secretary, Penny Mordaunt, issued a damning rebuke to the charity. Mordaunt warned that it would receive no more public money unless it demonstrated “moral leadership” and handed over all information on aid workers’ alleged use of prostitutes on the island.

One senior figure told the Guardian the charity was already facing “a challenging funding context” with the government before the scandal broke and so losing its state budget – £34m last year – was a real concern.

Play Video 0:50
Penny Mordaunt on Oxfam: show moral leadership or lose funding – video
Oxfam’s chief executive, Mark Goldring, said he would emphasise Oxfam’s contrition and the changes it had made in the Monday meeting to discuss the charity’s state funding.

“I’m going to explain the improvements Oxfam has made,” Goldring said. “I’m going to repeat, as I have done to the British public, Oxfam’s apologies for those events.” And he said he would explain the proposed changes that Thomson laid out on Sunday.

Those changes included a new whistleblowing procedure and stronger vetting for staff.

Goldring said that if funding was cut by the UK government, Oxfam would “carry on delivering as best we can because that’s what the people of Yemen, Syria, Congo and indeed Haiti need and deserve”.

Quick guide
Charities facing claims of harassment and abuse

Show
Advertisement

Oxfam’s fight to secure its financial footing came after days of escalating stories about the conduct of its workers after revelations that staff in Haiti had been dismissed for using prostitutes for sex parties.

Any hopes the charity’s leadership had that the scandal might quickly subside were dashed when it was reported in the Observer that Oxfam staff in Chad had also used prostitutes and when Oxfam’s own annual report resurfaced, showing it dealt with 87 allegations of sexual abuse by staff in 2016-17.

Oxfam’s crisis threatened to spill across the charity sector on Sunday with reports that more than 120 workers across a range of leading charities had been accused of sexual abuse in the past year alone.

The former international development secretary Priti Patel said: “People knew in DfID. I raised this directly with my department at the time. I have UN reports... there are 120 cases involving something like over 300 people. That was just the tip of the iceberg.”

After Mordaunt’s warning that public funding was at risk, Thomson said she shared the “anger and shame” widely expressed over events in Haiti. “It is clear that such behaviour is completely outside our values and should never be tolerated,” she said. “We apologise unreservedly. We have made big improvements since 2011 and today I commit that we will improve further.”

Play Video 1:01
'I am deeply ashamed' says Oxfam CEO of the Haiti sex scandal - video
Since the Times revealed on Friday that Oxfam allowed three men to resign and sacked four more after an inquiry into sexual exploitation in Haiti, it emerged that several of Oxfam’s staff have raised concerns about the effectiveness of the aid organisation’s vetting procedures.

Advertisement

Thomson said an independent review would be widened to “take a detailed look both at [the Haiti] case and our recruitment and management of staff in challenging environments and emergencies, where the urgent need for staff to be put in place to help save lives puts enormous pressure on recruiters to fill posts”.

She added: “If that review brings about a safer environment for all, then the publicity of the last few days, painful as it has been, will also have been valuable.”

However, Oxfam staff have told the Guardian they fear that fundraising efforts could be hit hard by the damage to the charity’s reputation and this would hinder its ability to maintain the same level of investment in projects around the world.

Only days before the story broke, Goldring had been in Bangladesh, visiting an Oxfam project providing food, water and sanitation to several hundred thousand Rohingya Muslim refugees close to the border with Myanmar.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more
The first sign of whether the charity is losing public support would come on Monday when the banks reopen and it would be able to see if donations were down, Goldring said.

One Oxfam aid worker in the Middle East said she felt “deeply disgusted” at the way the case has been handled. Another, based in Oxford, said “everyone was really shocked. It was awful”.

Mordaunt said the scandal represented “a complete betrayal of the people Oxfam were there to help and also the people that sent them there to do that job”.

Asked if he would resign as chief executive, Goldring said: “If that’s what my board of trustees asked for I would do it immediately.” But he pointed out that he had joined the organisation in 2013, after the incidents in Haiti.

Winnie Byanyima, who became executive director of Oxfam International in 2013, said she was saddened by what took place in Haiti and that it could not happen under systems and rules put in place since.

“I feel deeply, deeply hurt ... What happened in Haiti was a few privileged men abusing the very people they were supposed to protect - using the power they had from Oxfam to abuse powerless women. It breaks my heart,” she said in an interview with Reuters TV in New York.

“We want to restore trust. We want to build that trust. We are committing to be honest, to be transparent and to be accountable in addressing this issue of sexual misconduct. We are in a different place today,” she said.

Bond, the umbrella group for international development organisations, condemned the “completely deplorable” behaviour alleged to have taken place in Haiti and called on NGOs to improve their practices.

Tamsyn Barton, its chief executive, said NGOs needed to “ensure both staff and beneficiaries feel able to report concerns confidently and safely and are supported”, and that organisations should continue to train their staff.

Meanwhile, Brendan Cox, the husband of the murdered MP Jo Cox, has denied claims in America that shortly after he left his post as a senior executive at the charity Save the Children, he assaulted a woman in 2015 during a night out at a bar in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Mail on Sunday reported that a woman had reported Cox to Cambridge police.

A statement issued on his behalf described the claims as “malicious, false and defamatory” and said that he “expressly rejects that any sexual assault took place”. He added that police had never contacted him about the allegation.

How shocking! And it seems other NGOs have confessions to make. Is this the true face of politically correct people? Exploiters of the weak and vurnable.
foxdemon wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/11/oxfam-staff-raise-concerns-over-charity-vetting-processes-haiti-abuse

How shocking! And it seems other NGOs have confessions to make. Is this the true face of politically correct people? Exploiters of the weak and vurnable.

I am shocked - shocked, I tell you!- that British middle-class wankers would behave like British middle-class wankers. Exploiting and abusing vulnerable people in far-flung corners of the globe? Why, such a thing is unprecedented! :excited:
skinster wrote:Most people are opportunistic assholes, basically.

And scum. :)

Yep....

Every organisation has some degree of Corruption.

Corruption is a human weakness.

Oxfam and The Clinton Foundation...

Screwing Haiti literally and figuratively.....
By Decky
Rich people are scum who enjoy rape? Who could ever have guessed! Next you will be telling me that they give knighthoods to people like Sir Jimmy Savile?
By colliric
Decky wrote:Rich people are scum who enjoy rape? Who could ever have guessed! Next you will be telling me that they give knighthoods to people like Sir Jimmy Savile?

... And trash the reputation of "innocent but just a bit weird because of his traumatic childhood" people like Michael Jackson.

Have we heard anymore accusations about him in the years since he died? No. In fact we've seen his defenders like Corey Feldman come out of the woodwork, defend MJ as a saint with fake accusations thrown at him and they finally get heard.

The man finally is getting cut a much needed break.
By foxdemon
Potemkin wrote:I am shocked - shocked, I tell you!- that British middle-class wankers would behave like British middle-class wankers. Exploiting and abusing vulnerable people in far-flung corners of the globe? Why, such a thing is unprecedented! :excited:

As am I. Shocked and shocked. Who could have predicted this? :excited:

But I have an idea (a cunning plan, as Baldrick would put it).

Wouldn’t be good if all the politically correct snobs in the Home Counties made a bee line to the cliffs of Dover and cast themselves off those cliffs? Wouldn’t their absence make the world a better place? Isn’t that what they want to achieve?

Travelling to shithole countries, then exploiting impoverish women while claiming moral authority for one’s righteous deeds in order to legitimate their actions pertaining to the monopolisation of wealth and power and the resulting exclusion of poorer people from the society in their own country is simply not going to make the world a better place.

I encourage politically correct upper middle class English people to take the plunge. But if they don’t do so of their own free will, what then?
By Crantag
These guys are morons and all of that, but the blanket notion that woman engaged in prostitution are--every one of them and as a categorical fact--hopelessly exploited individuals is itself I think a product of the schizophrenic stance toward sex and sexuality of people in Western countries.

There are a lot of such unquestioned blanket notions in Western countries, which inform media narratives.
By Potemkin
foxdemon wrote:As am I. Shocked and shocked. Who could have predicted this? :excited:

But I have an idea (a cunning plan, as Baldrick would put it).

Wouldn’t be good if all the politically correct snobs in the Home Counties made a bee line to the cliffs of Dover and cast themselves off those cliffs? Wouldn’t their absence make the world a better place? Isn’t that what they want to achieve?

Travelling to shithole countries, then exploiting impoverish women while claiming moral authority for one’s righteous deeds in order to legitimate their actions pertaining to the monopolisation of wealth and power and the resulting exclusion of poorer people from the society in their own country is simply not going to make the world a better place.

I encourage politically correct upper middle class English people to take the plunge. But if they don’t do so of their own free will, what then?

I believe a bald-headed chap called 'Lennie' or something had a few interesting ideas in that regard, foxdemon.... :)
By Rich
Potemkin wrote:I am shocked - shocked, I tell you!- that British middle-class wankers would behave like British middle-class wankers. Exploiting and abusing vulnerable people in far-flung corners of the globe? Why, such a thing is unprecedented! :excited:

Yeah right, British working class football supporters never use prostitutes when they go abroad. But we don't know whether these men were middle class, we don't know whether they were Muslims. We don't know their race. In fact do we even know that they were British citizens?

We do know that Oxfam has been big on "diversity" for a long time. Oxfam is full of rabid Islamophiles, always looking to conceal the abuses of Muslims. That the behaviour of African and West Indian peace keeping forces and aid agencies has often been shocking to White people. The funny thing is you chose to quote from a middle class paper the guardian, rather than a working class paper like the Sun, the Star or the Sport.
By foxdemon
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/meghan-markle-linked-charity-world-vision-tied-food-sex-scandal-haiti-1662206

And the scandle continues to grow. More NGOs are being exposed as predatory organisations. Now the image of the Royal family and UK government is being tarnished.

But I guess this is following in the grand tradition of celebrity sponsored NGO aid activities, such as the now infamous Band Aid efforts of Sir Bob Geldof.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/meghan-markle-linked-charity-world-vision-tied-food-sex-scandal-haiti-1662206
By AFAIK
You could trade food for oil but not food for sex.
You can prostitute 3rd world women in Britain but not in Haiti.
These double standards are hard to keep up with.
By colliric
Igor Antunov wrote:Just like Red cross and UN aid. Of course such abuse will eventually become rampant in such huge faceless organizations. It is da wey.

Not just them.... Add the Salvos and a few others too.
By Drlee
Why not do away with charities altogether? As the Roman Catholics say, "better to avoid the near occasion of sin" than to risk sinning.

Better yet. How about an international corps of eunuchs? They worked swimmingly to keep the Sultan's harem "pure".

Here is the thing. It seems that prostitutes have a habit of coming on to men! :eek: Who knew? And what is even more odd is that some men fall to this temptation. Zounds!

About all an organization like Oxfam can do is publish rules, investigate misconduct when it is uncovered, and discipline/sack those involved.

But I like the shotgun approach. Let's just do away with charities altogether. Make them all for-profit corporations. If we do there will be no more of this talk about moral behavior muddying the issue of helping people who desperately need it.
By Drlee
You are opposed to charity?

Google psychopath.

an era when Europeans were more educated and inte[…]

I was quite explicit that the words are not by the[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

We were once wild before wheat and other grains do[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Israeli government could have simply told UNRW[…]