China hammers U.S. goods with tariffs as 'sparks' of trade war fly - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

One Degree wrote:Your ideological arguments mean nothing compared to “What will Walmart do?”
Walmart is dependent upon Chinese imports. Their decisions will greatly influence how far this is allowed to go.

Walmart seems to be diversifying (Insurance, Healthcare, etc.) They have also made serious inroads into the grocery market that are likely to be less effected by a trade war.

Zam
One Degree wrote:Just scanned through the threads and believe everyone is missing the key factor. Your ideological arguments mean nothing compared to “What will Walmart do?”
Walmart is dependent upon Chinese imports. Their decisions will greatly influence how far this is allowed to go.

It's certainly important; don't know if that will be a key factor in Trump's foreign policy, though. At least not yet; much of what they import isn't affected by the tariff that I can see. Walmarts in China for instance are already required, like all foreign business there, to be 'domestic' companies. This Red Chinese policy is a serious hindrance on any trade wars they can launch, because technically there are no foreign owned companies there.
annatar1914 wrote:They're not losing any sleep, because they got their man in the White House.

Are you pretending they were losing sleep over imported steel during the Obama admin? Here's an article:
Is Imported Steel a Threat to American National Security? It hasn’t been, it isn’t now, and it probably won’t be in the future.

From what I read the US military obsesses about ITAR.
Oberon wrote:It's certainly important; don't know if that will be a key factor in Trump's foreign policy, though. At least not yet; much of what they import isn't affected by the tariff that I can see. Walmarts in China for instance are already required, like all foreign business there, to be 'domestic' companies. This Red Chinese policy is a serious hindrance on any trade wars they can launch, because technically there are no foreign owned companies there.

Something else I agree with the Chinese on. Non citizens should never be allowed to own much. It is a direct conflict to the self determination required for autonomy. For example: Allowing your media to be foreign owned and then pretending outrage at foreign influence in your elections.
Rugoz wrote:Are you pretending they were losing sleep over imported steel during the Obama admin? Here's an article:
Is Imported Steel a Threat to American National Security? It hasn’t been, it isn’t now, and it probably won’t be in the future.

From what I read the US military obsesses about ITAR.

Political Generals during the Obama Administration would say anything...

Again, it's not so much over just one thing such as steel imports, but securing economic and military autarky before the coming war.
One Degree wrote:Something else I agree with the Chinese on. Non citizens should never be allowed to own much. It is a direct conflict to the self determination required for autonomy.

For example: Allowing your media to be foreign owned and then pretending outrage at foreign influence in your elections.

For the American case, I dare to ask:
Do we use "foreign" in its technical meaning (i.e. whoever non-American controlling American media)
or do we use it in a "camp" meaning (i.e. it's foreign owned because the owner is from a different camp from the US and her allies)?
Patrickov wrote:For the American case, I dare to ask:
Do we use "foreign" in its technical meaning (i.e. whoever non-American controlling American media)
or do we use it in a "camp" meaning (i.e. it's foreign owned because the owner is from a different camp from the US and her allies)?

I am using it here based upon autonomy. I would prefer it apply to individual states in autonomous areas and even a smaller governing area. The political partisanship fails to be much of an issue at a local level.
One Degree wrote:I am using it here based upon autonomy. I would prefer it apply to individual states in autonomous areas and even a smaller governing area. The political partisanship fails to be much of an issue at a local level.

So, to be precise, which American media is being "foreign owned", by whom, and how? I need some example to understand your idea. Sorry.
Patrickov wrote:So, to be precise, which American media is being "foreign owned", by whom, and how? I need some example to understand your idea. Sorry.

None in China, which is what we are discussing. In the US, It gets tricky. Supposedly foreign ownership is limited to 20% unless you are a WTO member. You would have to study their share holders to know if a media is foreign owned. I am not interested in doing this research for you.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Mobilizing for Defeat The Zelensky regime insi[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbl_6RDhkM :D […]