FBI raids office of Trump attorney - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

SpecialOlympian wrote:So what services do you think Cohen was selling?

I have no reason to believe any different from what their contracts with him stated. Anything else is just speculation at this point. I know at least two of the contracts expired before January, so they definitely had no expectations of long term political favors. Time will tell about the rest.
SpecialOlympian wrote:He was selling access to the president, 1°.

Based upon my limited reading, only one person claimed that without any proof. All the companies denied it.
Knowing lobbyists influence on government, I can easily assume they were paying for access, but it has not been proven. As mentioned above, if that was their intent in hiring Cohen they were apparently disappointed or they would have renewed their contracts with him. The fact they did not renew their contracts for his services is clear evidence they had no reason to expect he would provide them with whatever else they may have wanted.
Crantag wrote:It's no such evidence. A payoff was made. A contract was used. Simple.

Simple, if you don’t require any actual proof and believe Cohen is an idiot. If they were looking to influence Trump through Cohen, there is no reasonable reason to not renew the contract for his services. If that was what Cohen was doing, he would have milked it with longer contracts. How do you explain them not continuing his services?
One Degree wrote:Simple, if you don’t require any actual proof and believe Cohen is an idiot. If they were looking to influence Trump through Cohen, there is no reasonable reason to not renew the contract for his services. If that was what Cohen was doing, he would have milked it with longer contracts. How do you explain them not continuing his services?

You are the sort that can't possibly believe anything negative against Trump. It's very transparent. Very.
Crantag wrote:You are the sort that can't possibly believe anything negative against Trump. It's very transparent. Very.

I can easily believe any negative thing about Trump, but some actual proof would be nice. :)
This idiocy of trying to condemn him for what we know is the dirty underbelly of US politics is just pathetic.
What amazes me is the inability to come up with any proof of anything. I would have expected him to be a much easier target. He is apparently much more honest than I would have imagined. :)
One Degree wrote:I can easily believe any negative thing about Trump, but some actual proof would be nice. :)
This idiocy of trying to condemn him for what we know is the dirty underbelly of US politics is just pathetic.
What amazes me is the inability to come up with any proof of anything. I would have expected him to be a much easier target. He is apparently much more honest than I would have imagined. :)

You are basically the biggest Trump fanboy on here. Or one of them.
Crantag wrote:You are basically the biggest Trump fanboy on here. Or one of them.

We should probably get the FBI to raid his nursing home … you never know what they might find (!)

Zam :excited:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/nyregion/michael-cohen-trump-taxi-cooperation.html?partner=msft_msn
Michael Cohen’s Business Partner Agrees to Cooperate as Part of Plea Deal
By Danny Hakim, William K. Rashbaum and Vivian Wang May 22, 2018

A significant business partner of Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s personal lawyer, has quietly agreed to cooperate with the government as a potential witness, a development that could be used as leverage to pressure Mr. Cohen to work with the special counsel examining Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Under the agreement, the partner, Evgeny A. Freidman, a Russian immigrant who is known as the Taxi King, will avoid jail time, and will assist government prosecutors in state or federal investigations, according to a person briefed on the matter.

Mr. Cohen’s conduct was initially examined by Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel investigating the 2016 election that led to Mr. Trump’s victory, and then referred to the United States attorney’s office in Manhattan. Last month, federal agents carried out search warrants at Mr. Cohen’s home, his office and a hotel room where he was staying, seeking documents related to his business associates and accountants.

Mr. Trump’s lawyers have been resigned to the strong possibility that the investigation of Mr. Cohen’s businesses could lead him to cooperate with federal prosecutors.

That likelihood could become greater with a business partner of Mr. Cohen’s cooperating with law enforcement.

Mr. Freidman has been Mr. Cohen’s partner in the taxi business for years, managing cabs for him even after New York City regulators barred Mr. Freidman last year from continuing to manage medallions.

Mr. Freidman, who was disbarred earlier this month, had been accused of failing to pay more than $5 million in taxes and faced four counts of criminal tax fraud and one of grand larceny — all B felonies. Each carries a maximum prison sentence of up to 25 years in prison.

Instead, he appeared in court in Albany on Tuesday and pleaded guilty to a single count of evading only $50,000 worth of taxes; he faces five years of probation if he fulfills the terms of his agreement, the judge, Patrick Lynch of Albany County court, said during the roughly 20-minute proceeding

This guy got a GREAT plea deal … So he's probably dishing some nasty dirt on Cohen. Coming on top of the Senate GOP report on Russian support of Trump's candidacy, we can probably expect some aggressive tweeting from the white house.

Zam :smokin:
Perhaps. I said a long time ago no one is going to do any serious time over any of this. This is politics and they are not about to set themselves up for long prison terms by doing it to others. This is an unwritten rule.
One Degree wrote:Perhaps. I said a long time ago no one is going to do any serious time over any of this. This is politics and they are not about to set themselves up for long prison terms by doing it to others. This is an unwritten rule.

Except maybe Paul Manafort? I think he's counting on a Trump pardon, but ? That may not work out. These Mid-Terms are crucial.

Zam
Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, received a secret payment of at least $400,000 (£300,000) to fix talks between the Ukrainian president and President Trump, according to sources in Kiev close to those involved.
The payment was arranged by intermediaries acting for Ukraine's leader, Petro Poroshenko, the sources said, though Mr Cohen was not registered as a representative of Ukraine as required by US law.

BBC
In expectation of an indictment, Cohen has been suggesting to friends that he's ready to deal.

"Mr. Cohen has frequently told associates in recent months he is frustrated that the president hasn’t offered to pay his legal fees, which he has said are “bankrupting” him - Somebody, whether at Cohen’s behest or not, is sending signals that it might be in President Trump’s best interest to pony up.:

Michael Cohen is getting desperate. President Trump should be worried https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/06/20/michael-cohen-is-getting-desperate-president-trump-should-be-worried/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7e747046450d

"He knows a lot of things about the President and he’s not averse to talking in the right situation,” one of Cohen’s New York friends who is in touch with him told CNN. “If they want information on Trump, he’s willing to give it.

What's he gonna spill ? Any guesses ?

Zamuel wrote:In expectation of an indictment, Cohen has been suggesting to friends that he's ready to deal.

What's he gonna spill ? Any guesses ?

Anything they ask him too. It is not like lawyers are known for their moral fortitude.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]