Students marking Columbine anniversary call for gun control in walkouts across U.S. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

CBCWith files from CBC News and The Associated Press

Students marking Columbine anniversary call for gun control in walkouts across U.S.

Walkouts from classes come a day after gun-control activists rally near Colorado high school[center-img]https://i.cbc.ca/1.4628714.1524244739!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_1180/usa-guns.jpg?imwidth=720[/center-img]

Thousands of students across the United States are marking 19 years since the massacre at Columbine High School today by walking out of classes, in a show of unity intended to put pressure on politicians to enact tighter gun restrictions.

Students from more than 2,600 schools and institutions were expected to take part, organizers said. They have been asked to wear orange, the official colour of the campaign against gun violence, and observe a 13-second silence to honour the 13 victims killed at Columbine High School in Colorado.

Waving placards with slogans including "No more gun violence" and "I should be worried about grades, not guns," they walked out of school in cities including New York, Detroit and Washington.

Outside the White House, scores of young protesters sat in silence while they listened to the names of gun violence victims read aloud.

"It's an issue that's been in this country for a long time," said Ayanna Rhodes, 14, who walked out of Washington International School.

"[The Columbine killings] happened like 20 years ago, and we are still getting mass shootings in schools."

On April 20, 1999, two Columbine seniors killed 12 of their classmates and a teacher before committing suicide. Since then, mass shootings have occurred with shocking frequency across the United States.

In the latest gun violence to hit a high school, one person was wounded and a suspect was in custody after a shooting on Friday morning at Forest High School in Marion County, Florida, police said.

The second deadliest public school shooting in U.S. history occurred in Parkland, Fla., on Feb. 14, leaving 17 dead. The shooting set off a national student movement calling for an end to gun violence and tighter gun restrictions.

Carlos Rodriguez, a 17-year-old junior from Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, was in Columbine for the anniversary, and said he found a sense of solidarity.

"That's the only thing that's keeping us Douglas students alive right now: the distraction of fighting for our rights and advocating for our lives," Rodriguez told Reuters. "It's the one thing keeping us hopeful, it's the one thing keeping us from not being able to sleep at night."

2nd national walkout in weeks
The walkouts, speeches and drive to sign up voters on Friday are aimed at pressuring U.S. politicians to enact tighter restrictions on gun sales in the run-up to November's midterm congressional elections.

After walking out of class and observing the 13-second silence, it was up to students how to demonstrate. Suggestions from national organizers included marches to the offices of local lawmakers, speeches and voter registration activities.

On Thursday, Colorado gun control activists rallied near Columbine High School, calling for an end to gun violence.

Columbine has not held classes on April 20 since the massacre, a district spokeswoman said, so there would be no walkout at the school. Students were encouraged to take part in community service.

For Frank DeAngelis, who was principal of Columbine High School when the shooting occurred, April 20 is "a tough day."

"I think the kids are calling out the adults. The 'Never Again' group from Florida has said that 'you've let us down,'" he told CBC News.

"After every school shooting, whether it be Red Lakes, Columbine, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, we hear the same rhetoric but we do not do anything about it. So I think now they're saying that action needs to be taken, so we're going to take charge — and hopefully they have more success than some of the adults have."

The latest national rally comes more than a month after tens of thousands of students from some 3,000 schools participated in the #ENOUGH National School Walkout to demand that lawmakers seek tighter gun-control regulations.

It also follows "March For Our Lives" rallies in cities across the United States on March 24 that were some of the biggest U.S. youth demonstrations in decades, with hundreds of thousands of young Americans and their supporters taking to the streets to demand tighter gun laws.

Plans for Friday's walkout began only hours after the Parkland shooting, when a Connecticut teen started an online petition calling for protests on the anniversary of Columbine.

Sophomore Lane Murdock then gathered a few other students at Ridgefield High School to orchestrate the national protest, which seeks to find solutions to gun violence and get young people involved in the political process.

They also have received help from Indivisible, a left-leaning nonprofit based in Washington that helps boost grassroots activism. The group says it was formed after the 2016 election to oppose the policies promoted by President Donald Trump.

"We're walking out to remember every single young person who has been killed by American gun violence," Murdock said in a statement Thursday. "We're walking out to talk about the real problems our country is facing, and the solutions that our leaders are too scared to dream up."

Dudley Brown, president of the Colorado-based National Association for Gun Rights, said the gun-control movement seeks to have the government take away rights.

"The main objective of these students is to ban firearms completely, and confiscate the firearms of law-abiding Americans," Brown said. "We will oppose them at every step."

There's no single organization or group that speaks for students protesting gun laws, but on Friday students in cities across the U.S. took their concerns about gun violence to the streets, chanting "the NRA has got to go!" and "Enough is enough."

March for Our Lives, which has been a major driver of the recent wave of activism, lists four specific goals, which don't include confiscating guns from law-abiding Americans.

Their stated goals are:

Universal background checks.
The creation of a digitized, searchable database for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
A ban on high-capacity magazines.
A ban on assault weapons.
Friday's walkout followed a wave of activism in the wake of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida. Organizers urged students to leave class at 10 a.m. to honour victims of gun violence.

Kids don’t have autonomy which is why we call them kids. A kid with autonomy would be an ‘emancipated adult’, not a kid.
Using kids for politics should warrant a charge of child abuse.
One Degree wrote:Stop using kids to promote political views! It is despicable.

This is the biggest bullshit argument against the walk outs anyone could ever think of. How fucking dare you, seriously. Kids aren't all pawns.

Anyway, that said. I'm always torn on the gun thing.

On one hand, guns are fucking awesome. On the other, I'm sure the death could be minimized at least a little bit if they were banned or severely restricted.
Last edited by Rancid on 24 Apr 2018 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
skinster wrote:What age are they free, One Degree? :excited:

Depends on the state. California is probably the most lax naturally. You can apply for emancipation at 14.

@Rancid I taught school for 17 years. I can convince a group of kids to support any view in an hour. To believe most kids are capable of making objective political decisions is nonsense. Sure, a few can, but not most. They are in school to learn, not demonstrate.

How do you explain adults overwhelming reject gun controls, but magically their kids at school don’t? It’s called brainwashing.
Last edited by One Degree on 24 Apr 2018 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Stormsmith wrote:There's nothing in your constition on free speech being conditional.

It is the interpretation of the constitution that matters. There are all kinds of laws limiting free speech including ‘in loco parentis’.
Rancid wrote:This is the biggest bullshit argument against the walk outs anyone could ever think of. How fucking dare you, seriously. Kids aren't all pawns.

Anyway, that said. I'm always torn on the gun thing.

On one hand, guns are fucking awesome. On the other, I'm sure the death could be minimized at least a little bit if they were banned or severely restricted.

How are they not being used ?
One Degree wrote:Depends on the state. California is probably the most lax naturally. You can apply for emancipation at 14.

@Rancid I taught school for 17 years. I can convince a group of kids to support any view in an hour. To believe most kids are capable of making objective political decisions is nonsense. Sure, a few can, but not most. They are in school to learn, not demonstrate.

How do you explain adults overwhelming reject gun controls, but magically their kids at school don’t? It’s called brainwashing.
So why the school system have not educated kids that drugs are bad? Or that math is amazing and they should do their homework every night?
Rancid wrote:How are they being used?

If I tell a class of students we are going to have a ‘walk out’, 99.9% don’t give a shit what the issue is.
Why should they? How do you sponsor a coordinated walk out without telling students this is the right thing to do? The school and the teachers are authorizing a political demonstration using kids under their control.
Anything other than absolute refusal of the school to allow it, is telling students they support it.
The kids get out of class and might get on tv. That is all most of them care about. They will pretend to support anything that gets them out of class. It is a complete abomination.
One Degree wrote:It is the interpretation of the constitution that matters. There are all kinds of laws limiting free speech including ‘in loco parentis’.

Only under special conditions can teachers impede free speech. If kids are protesting on weekends, or after school, tough darts. If students walk out of class, maybe a detention.
Stormsmith wrote:Only under special conditions can teachers impede free speech. If kids are protesting on weekends, or after school, tough darts. If students walk out of class, maybe a detention.

Well, some of this is recent changes I don’t agree with. If walking out of class only gets a detention, then you are encouraging kids to walk out of class. This is insubordination and use to be a suspension offense. I don’t disagree with gradually treating kids like adults, but only when they prove they can accept the responsibility.
This idea that everyone in high school or jr, high should automatically be treated as an adult is nonsense. They are not adults. They are learning to be adults. To be treated as an adult, you should know you have to earn it.
Again, we took ideas that should be applied on an individual basis,and decided to just magically grant them to every kid. Idealism with no basis in reality.

@FiveofSwords " black " Genetically[…]

That is interesting why do you think that is? It[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You already have enough problems with reality. :[…]

Should schools have books on phrenology, astrolog[…]