Students marking Columbine anniversary call for gun control in walkouts across U.S. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

I'm pretty sure high school kids are well enough grounded in logic to inform their opposition to school shootings. I was in high school when Columbine happened. I remember what it did to my imagination. I pictured being in the commons area in the event of a shooting. Etc.

One Degree is apparently a subscriber to the view of education wherein the teacher is meant to be a tyrant and the students are assumed to be incapable of independent thought. The latter point is somewhat extreme, even for the tyrannical teacher. I wonder if he was raised a Catholic. One Degree is speaking from another time.
Well, the in loco parentis still applies to little kids, but apparently for near adults, it's lightened up.

Bear in mind, by law, kids must go to school, but they cannot vote. They depend on adults to ensure they are safe, not trapped in building with a gunman and his semi automatic weapon, purchased at a car boot sale. I am sure courts would find for the kids who hold walkouts. 14th amendment, et al
Crantag wrote:I'm pretty sure high school kids are well enough grounded in logic to inform their opposition to school shootings. I was in high school when Columbine happened. I remember what it did to my imagination. I pictured being in the commons area in the event of a shooting. Etc.

One Degree is apparently a subscriber to the view of education wherein the teacher is meant to be a tyrant and the students are assumed to be incapable of independent thought. The latter point is somewhat extreme, even for the tyrannical teacher. I wonder if he was raised a Catholic. One Degree is speaking from another time.

I raised 5 kids and taught over 4,000 students. Yes, my experience is from another time where I was described as ‘strict but fair’. I have had students, many years later, thank me for that even if you consider it tyrannical.
They also appreciated me treating them as adults, but I required they earn it. Treating them as adults is very important as long as you remember they aren't and they require direction. Walking out of school is NOT adult behavior and should not be treated as such.
I am a strong believer in independent thought and designed my lessons to promote it. One of many examples is I required reports on areas bounded by latitude and longitude so they could not simply copy from a source on a country. I made wide use of independent study and was the first to introduce computers in my school.
That is my experience. What is yours to question my ‘outdated’ views? :)
One Degree wrote:I raised 5 kids and taught over 4,000 students. Yes, my experience is from another time where I was described as ‘strict but fair’. I have had students, many years later, thank me for that even if you consider it tyrannical.
They also appreciated me treating them as adults, but I required they earn it. Treating them as adults is very important as long as you remember they aren't and they require direction. Walking out of school is NOT adult behavior and should not be treated as such.
I am a strong believer in independent thought and designed my lessons to promote it. One of many examples is I required reports on areas bounded by latitude and longitude so they could not simply copy from a source on a country. I made wide use of independent study and was the first to introduce computers in my school.
That is my experience. What is yours to question my ‘outdated’ views? :)

Hey Judge Mills Lane, I care nothing about your anecdotes.

Your little game of distraction here is all based around one thing.

You are an ammosexual.

The be-all-end-all with you is your opposition to gun control.

And to the last line, none of your business.
Crantag wrote:Hey Judge Mills Lane, I care nothing about your anecdotes.

You are an ammosexual.

They are not anecdotes. They were a point by point reply to your erroneous assumptions about me.
Did you expect me to not address them?
Anyway, if you find the one right way to treat every kid, parents and teachers will make you a saint.
I feel about gun control like I do ‘hate crimes’. It is an extremely dangerous path to start down. No laws should be considered that would set a precedent for them being expanded into areas not originally intended.
One Degree wrote:If walking out of class only gets a detention, then you are encouraging kids to walk out of class. This is insubordination and use to be a suspension offense.

If a kid voluntarily misses school their punishment is being forced to miss more school? Do you see the irony here? Forcing them to do more school seems more appropriate.

When I was a boy I once wrote to my MP (member of parliament) about building a skatepark in our town. A bunch of other kids circulated a petition. The MP actually respected us as constituents and didn't just dismiss us as puppets or infantile children.
AFAIK wrote:If a kid voluntarily misses school their punishment is being forced to miss more school? Do you see the irony here? Forcing them to do more school seems more appropriate.

When I was a boy I once wrote to my MP (member of parliament) about building a skatepark in our town. A bunch of other kids circulated a petition. The MP actually respected us as constituents and didn't just dismiss us as puppets or infantile children.

Yes, I remember all these arguments. You can’t spank because it is physical abuse. You can’t give detentions because it punishes the parents. Alternative classes are discrimatory,And your argument. Which leaves no method of discipline. Once again, placing the individual above the overall school community hurts everyone. Keeping disruptive students in school seldom helps the disruptive student and destroys the learning environment.
Did you get your skatepark?
Stormsmith wrote:Well, the in loco parentis still applies to little kids, but apparently for near adults, it's lightened up.

Bear in mind, by law, kids must go to school, but they cannot vote. They depend on adults to ensure they are safe, not trapped in building with a gunman and his semi automatic weapon, purchased at a car boot sale. I am sure courts would find for the kids who hold walkouts. 14th amendment, et al

Of course you purposely leave out all the times the adults ( libtards) had an opportunity to do something about this kid.
FINFINDER
Which kid? A protester, other the shooter? I'very written plenty on the later.

ONE DEGREE
Your position rests on the students being in the wrong. If adults won't do right by them, then to me, they have the moral imperative to act for the future of those students who shall come after them.
Stormsmith wrote:FINFINDER
Which kid? A protester, other the shooter? I'very written plenty on the later.

ONE DEGREE
Your position rests on the students being in the wrong. If adults won't do right by them, then to me, they have the moral imperative to act for the future of those students who shall come after them.

Not at all. Whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant. They are in school to learn, not walkout for political protests. Allowing them to do so is to use them for political gain. They are a captive audience. It is important their age and status as students not be used for manipulation. There is no other reason to choose school hours and schools as the median. They know scheduling a protest march for Saturday will not draw the same numbers. It is abusive and manipulative.
I think an argument for allowing them to learn through acting enriches, not improverishes, their education. And since they are acting by their on accord, in their own best interest, for their 14th amendment rights, it is a fallacy to say they are being "used" or " manipulated". They want to do this. They want to be safe. What they are saying is "if you wont, we will". A heads up to the politicians who lust after NRA dollars, as it were.
Stormsmith wrote:I think an argument for allowing them to learn through acting enriches, not improverishes, their education. And since they are acting by their on accord, in their own best interest, for their 14th amendment rights, it is a fallacy to say they are being "used" or " manipulated". They want to do this. They want to be safe. What they are saying is "if you wont, we will". A heads up to the politicians who lust after NRA dollars, as it were.

I listed many reasons in my previous post why their actions do not reflect objective choice. If they want to march, then why not Saturday? You need to address this point before you can say they are acting on their own.
To say a captive audience under the direct authority of others is acting freely is rather ridiculous.
One Degree wrote:I listed many reasons in my previous post why their actions do not reflect objective choice. If they want to march, then why not Saturday? You need to address this point before you can say they are acting on their own.
To say a captive audience under the direct authority of others is acting freely is rather ridiculous.

In what possible way are they a captive audience when they have instigated this action?

As to Saturday actions, they have protested on Saturdays, but they are savvy enough to know walkouts draws more attention to their concerns, and since drawing attention to these issues Is paramount, they'll do some of the protests during school hours. How in the wide world of sports is this abusive or manipulative? It is the realisation of their own goals.

Not at all. Whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant. They are in school to learn, not walkout for political protests. Allowing them to do so is to use them for political gain. They are a captive audience. It is important their age and status as students not be used for manipulation. There is no other reason to choose school hours and schools as the median. They know scheduling a protest march for Saturday will not draw the same numbers. It is abusive and manipulative.

They are right, full stop, and it is their right to say so. It is not irrelevant. To survive elementary-through-university is paramount. And if adults won't help, then it falls to the student to speak out.
Stormsmith wrote:In what possible way are they a captive audience when they have instigated this action?

As to Saturday actions, they have protested on Saturdays, but they are savvy enough to know walkouts draws more attention to their concerns, and since drawing attention to these issues Is paramount, they'll do some of the protests during school hours. How in the wide world of sports is this abusive or manipulative? It is the realisation of their own goals.

They are right, full stop, and it is their right to say so. It is not irrelevant. To survive elementary-through-university is paramount. And if adults won't help, then it falls to the student to speak out.

I have pretty well expressed my view. I believe the only one left is the students who don’t support the walkout.
They will sit inside with no chance of media coverage while the others get to go outside. These are the students who are really making a free choice and paying a price for it, not the ones participating.
One Degree wrote:No, they do not. Their parents have the right to place controls on their speech as do the schools.

"Fix Bayonets!"

Stormsmith wrote:They are right, full stop, and it is their right to say so. It is not irrelevant. To survive elementary-through-university is paramount. And if adults won't help, then it falls to the student to speak out.

I thought schools encouraged Student participation ?

Zam :rockon:
Crantag wrote:Hey Judge Mills Lane, I care nothing about your anecdotes.

You are an ammosexual.

I think I would trust someone on the matter who had life experience teaching young people verses the opinion of someone whose only experience on the matter was his imagination from when he was young.
The 20th April is the anniversary of the Columbine killings. The 20th April 2019 is a Saturday. How about waiting a year before being so judgemental One D?

How did you draw the conclusion that detention isn't a punishment? The same way you decided that anyone who disagrees with you is being manipulated by conspirators? By your logic the ones who stay in school are being manipulated by the fear of punishment, therefore the protests have universal support and any student who says they don't support them is being a puppet of some authority figure.

*Also they have lunchtime detentions for kids who need to leave school on time.

Rather than focusing on your ideas about my (irr[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]