US. constructing new Drone Base in Niger - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/22/us/politics/drone-base-niger.html?partner=msft_msn

AIR BASE 201, Niger — Rising from a barren stretch of African scrubland, a half-finished drone base represents the newest front line in America’s global shadow war.

At its center, hundreds of Air Force personnel are feverishly working to complete a $110 million airfield that, when finished in the coming months, will be used to stalk or strike extremists deep into West and North Africa, a region where most Americans have no idea the country is fighting.

Near the nascent runway, Army Green Berets are training Nigerien forces to carry out counterterrorism raids or fend off an enemy ambush — like the one that killed four American soldiers near the Mali border last fall.

Taken together, these parallel missions reflect a largely undeclared American military buildup outside the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan, often with murky authorities and little public attention, unfolding in remote places like Yemen, Somalia and, increasingly, West Africa.

In Niger alone, the Pentagon in the past few years has doubled the number of United States troops, to about 800 — not to conduct unilateral combat missions, but to battle an increasingly dangerous Al Qaeda, the Islamic State and even loosely associated extremist groups with proxy forces and drone strikes. The military’s missions in Niger are expected to come under scrutiny in a long-awaited Defense Department investigation into the deadly Oct. 4 ambush that is nearing release.

“The base, and the more frequent flights that its opening will allow, will give us far more situational awareness and intelligence on a region that has been a hub of illicit and extremist activity,” said P.W. Singer, a strategist at New America in Washington who has written extensively about drones. “But it will also further involve us in yet more operations and fights that few Americans are even aware our military is in.”

Questions about whether the American military, under the Trump administration, is seeking to obscure the expanding scope of operations in Africa surfaced last month when it was revealed that the United States had carried out four airstrikes in Libya between September and January that the military’s Africa Command had failed to disclose at the time.

Soon after, the military acknowledged for the first time that Green Berets working with Nigerien forces had killed 11 Islamic State militants in a multiday firefight in December. No American or Nigerien forces were harmed in the December gun battle.

But the combat — along with at least 10 other previously unreported attacks on American troops in West Africa between 2015 and 2017 — underscored the fact that the deadly ambush in Niger was not an isolated episode. Nigerien forces and their American advisers are preparing other major operations to clear out militants, military officials say.

“It’s essential that the American public is aware of, engaged in, and decides whether or not to support American military operations in countries around the world, including Niger,” said Senator Chris Coons, Democrat of Delaware, who visited Niger with four other senators this month.

Six months after the fatal attack, which took place outside the village of Tongo Tongo near the Mali border, the Trump administration stands at a critical crossroad in the military’s global counterterrorism campaign. (click the URL at the top for more details.)

I didn't know about this construction ... did you?

Zam
I think the story missed the point. China’s base in Africa has monumental importance. The US will build up forces for this reason. Can you imagine China dominating Africa under the charade of going after Islamists?
The US is put in the position of maintaining presence throughout Africa to prevent China from occupying the voids.
The current unwillingness of major powers to directly confront one another, gives a disadvantage to those currently controlling the most. China takes a couple atolls. The US has to defend the entire Pacific. China builds a base in Africa, the US has to try to prevent them from building more. Pretty much a losing game for the US, but the alternatives are few.
One Degree wrote:I think the story missed the point. China’s base in Africa has monumental importance.

China builds a base in Africa, the US has to try to prevent them from building more.

China has been seeking influence in East and Central Africa for decades (generally peacefully). I don't think this is in response to the Chinese.

Zam
Zamuel wrote:China has been seeking influence in East and Central Africa for decades (generally peacefully). I don't think this is in response to the Chinese.

Zam

Well, since I made up my view on the spur of the moment from random thoughts, I won’t argue about it.:)
One Degree wrote:China... China.... but China...

China has been building a lot of infrastructure at low-cost all over Africa.

The West can't compete with this because our entire economy is based on scamming and rip-offs. So all we can do is kill Africans by the hundreds with giant bombs.

Disney movie, anyone?
QatzelOk wrote:China has been building a lot of infrastructure at low-cost all over Africa.

The West can't compete with this because our entire economy is based on scamming and rip-offs. So all we can do is kill Africans by the hundreds with giant bombs.

Disney movie, anyone?

All colonizers build infrastructure when they arrive. It does not mean they have your best interests at heart.
I see no reason to believe China will be more benevolent than anyone else.
One Degree wrote:All colonizers build infrastructure when they arrive.

This is simply not true.

The colonizers of North America, Australia, New Zealand, and Israel, killed and terrorized the locals BEFORE they built any infrastructure. This is what drones offer Africa as well: death from the sky.

China offers favorable financing, and free gifts! to countries that hire China to build tramway lines or sewage treatment centers. They can afford to be generous (in order to make friends) whereas the West can't afford to give anything to anyone. Our rich strip us naked.

Our Western economy demands a profit off of everything, so our "AID" programs are more like door operings for parasitic businessmen.
QatzelOk wrote:This is simply not true.

The colonizers of North America, Australia, New Zealand, and Israel, killed and terrorized the locals BEFORE they built any infrastructure. This is what drones offer Africa as well: death from the sky.

China offers favorable financing, and free gifts! to countries that hire China to build tramway lines or sewage treatment centers. They can afford to be generous (in order to make friends) whereas the West can't afford to give anything to anyone. Our rich strip us naked.

Our Western economy demands a profit off of everything, so our "AID" programs are more like door operings for parasitic businessmen.

Forts, cities, ports, and roads just magically appeared?
The Chinese are as human as any one else and to expect better of them is simply blind bias.
@QatzelOk
@One Degree

FYI, (if you didn't already know) ... China's relationship to East and Central Africa predates communism considerably. Lots of Chinese (and Indian) laborers were imported by the British most returned home happy with their experience of Africa. Some stayed and typically formed expat enclaves. China's current friendship / loans / aid go back to the days of Mao. Their interst (then and now) was mostly in minerals and resources.

Zam
Zamuel wrote: Their interst (then and now) was mostly in minerals and resources.

Wait. So they don't want to "follow the Bible's teaching" and kill millions of people so that they can change the "race" of Africa, and then import slaves (from pre-terrorized other colonies) to do the work?

Then this is nothing like the colonialism I know.

One Degree wrote:Forts, cities, ports, and roads just magically appeared?
The Chinese are as human as any one else and to expect better of them is simply blind bias.

Forts, like drone bases, were first. This isn't really "infrastructure-building" for other people. It's for the empire, and will lead to the deaths of millions.

And to say the Chinese are human may be true, but the colonization of America, Israel, and Australia were sub-human in the sense that they lower the human condition to something that will definitely go extinct.
QatzelOk wrote:Wait. So they don't want to "follow the Bible's teaching" and kill millions of people so that they can change the "race" of Africa, and then import slaves (from pre-terrorized other colonies) to do the work?

Then this is nothing like the colonialism I know.

Chinese colonies in Africa ... ? Where ? And since when did China adopt Christianity and go all missionary?

Zam :?:
Zamuel wrote:Chinese colonies in Africa ... ? Where ? And since when did China adopt Christianity and go all missionary?

China is investing tons in things like building roads, rail, and pipes across a lot of Africa. They are in a good position (a much better than America's, which amounts to Peace Corps and missionaries :-p) to have great trade relations as Africa develops.
Zagadka wrote:China is investing tons in things like building roads, rail, and pipes across a lot of Africa. They are in a good position (a much better than America's, which amounts to Peace Corps and missionaries :-p) to have great trade relations as Africa develops.

That's what I was pointing out (minerals and resources) Mao started it. They've done it with good will, fair dealing, and a fairly small does of political indoctrination.

Zam
Zamuel wrote:I didn't know about this construction ... did you?

Zam

You probably also don't know that Russians have "advisers" there and Central African Republic also. ;)
JohnRawls wrote:You probably also don't know that Russians have "advisers" there and Central African Republic also. ;)

Russians have advisers in Niger? I'm sure they have diplomatic and trade advisers, but are you suggesting they have "Military" personnel advising the government (not observers but advisers?) How many and where are they based?

Many countries make up "Central Africa" and it's been a trouble spot for over a century now. It wouldn't surprise me to learn there are Russian troops in a few of them ... I know quite a bit about Sudan, S. Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi ... (research for a book). Beat the bushes, but I don't think you'll find any Russians there.

Zam
Zamuel wrote:Russians have advisers in Niger? I'm sure they have diplomatic and trade advisers, but are you suggesting they have "Military" personnel advising the government (not observers but advisers?) How many and where are they based?

Many countries make up "Central Africa" and it's been a trouble spot for over a century now. It wouldn't surprise me to learn there are Russian troops in a few of them ... I know quite a bit about Sudan, S. Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi ... (research for a book). Beat the bushes, but I don't think you'll find any Russians there.

Zam

There is Russian presence is Niger, Angola, CAR and perhaps Somalia that i am aware off. As for their exact location, i can't really say. I know that in CAR they are located in Berengo Castle which was given to them in 2017 or at least somewhere near it.
JohnRawls wrote:There is Russian presence is Niger, Angola, CAR and perhaps Somalia that i am aware off. As for their exact location, i can't really say. I know that in CAR they are located in Berengo Castle which was given to them in 2017 or at least somewhere near it.

I do find reference to 200 or so Russian "instructors" in the CAR. Angola I don't doubt but ? ... Niger sends some soldiers to Russia for training ... I find no reference to any Russian troops going to Niger.

So ... If you know better ... tell us about it? Africa is probably in it's most stable state in decades. I think Obama stopped all the CIAs dicking around there. That may be a partial explanation.

Zam
Obama stopping the US from ‘dicking around in Africa’ simply makes it easier for others to ‘dick around in Africa’. There are no ‘good guys’ in Africa. Everyone wants resources and political influence. You either pick a side or you argue for everyone letting African countries make their own way.
Zamuel wrote:I do find reference to 200 or so Russian "instructors" in the CAR. Angola I don't doubt but ? ... Niger sends some soldiers to Russia for training ... I find no reference to any Russian troops going to Niger.

So ... If you know better ... tell us about it? Africa is probably in it's most stable state in decades. I think Obama stopped all the CIAs dicking around there. That may be a partial explanation.

Zam

As i said advisers. Some Russian advisers have been in Niger since the girl crysis, i am not sure if they are still there but not 100% sure. Regarding Angola, there were few pictures around half a year ago floating around. CAR is basically the same, just there are official news of weapon supplies and Russians being granted that castle for whatever reasons.

As for Obamas dicking around in Africa, well it hasn't stopped in my opinion. And thats a good a thing. US runs Africom for a reason. There would be no need for it in germany if there was no dicking around going on.
One Degree wrote:Obama stopping the US from ‘dicking around in Africa’ simply makes it easier for others to ‘dick around in Africa’.

No, it actually removed their justification for doing so, and local "disturbances" have declined.

To be clear I'm not referring to legit diplomacy, I'm talking about actual CIA ops to incite many of the "movements" into genocide and terrorism (at the behest of interested US corporations, can you say - "Chaney.")

There are no ‘good guys’ in Africa.

Yes, in fact there are ... my cousin was one of them and she sure wasn't working for the CIA. I'm particularly impressed with the program that's there drilling water wells and providing rural purification systems ... one of the main terrorist activities was poisoning wells in many countries. (a Clinton foundation project, I think) ... "My god they're giving those savages clean water!"

Zam
He's a parasite

The current admin promotes MAGA: https://www.yout[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbl_6RDhkM :D […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Tainari, make a separate thread for that boring c[…]

The right for those living under occupation inclu[…]