World Trade War - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Albert
[center-img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e0/2d/0f/e02d0f91599368f6de0278a73ba1a299.png[/center-img]

It seems Trump finally did it, he is shacking up trade relations.
Last edited by Albert on 01 Jun 2018 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
By Atlantis
I'm proud of you Donald! Well done!

Next cars, 25% at the very least.

Next hit European banks over Iran and Russia. Close down Deutsche Bank. More penalties for Volkswagen. More penalties for Airbus. Close down NordStream. You can do it Donald, show those wankers. :excited:
By JohnRawls
There is a good way to respond to this. We need to put tarrifs on businesses who are directly involved with the Republican party funding. Also put tariffs on firms that provide split funding to both democrats and republicans.

Following individuals life should be made harder:

Charles and David Koch
Sheldon Adelson
Foster Friess
Paul Singer
Robert Mercer
Woody Johnson
Norman Braman
Ken Langone
Joe Ricketts
Peter Thiel

Following industries should be suffering too:

Agricultural businesses
Transportation/logistics
Construction
Oil & Gas
Retail Sales
Insurance
Some parts of Big Pharma
Divest from certain pension funds

That should make the guilty party squirm and squeal.
Last edited by JohnRawls on 31 May 2018 22:15, edited 2 times in total.
By Beren
GOP lawmakers thought the president was going to hit China — not key U.S. allies.

GOP lawmakers are just mistaken who key U.S. allies are.
By Albert
Trump-EU trade war BEGINS: Juncker promises retaliation to US trade tariffs WITHIN HOURS

JEAN-CLAUDE JUNCKER received the shock news of Donald Trump’s decision to impose steel and aluminium tariffs on European Union exports during a speech about the future of Europe and reacted by promising a trade war.

One of the European Commission’s team passed him a note as he praised self-acclaimed good work as the EU’s most senior official.

Interrupting his speech, Mr Juncker told the audience the note “proves just how serious my job is” and brushed off the news as “expected”.

He remained calm but this comes as a huge blow to Brussels, who have already had diplomats warning European firms to “prepare for the worst” as negotiators struggled to reach an agreement with their American counterparts.

The Commission President has vowed to hit back at Mr Trump’s trade tariff as he signalled the start of a trade war between Brussels and Washington with retaliatory tariffs within hours.

Canada already announced retaliation. It is allover the news here.

They are talking about whiskey and stuff, imposing tariffs on Kentucky whisky or something. So to bad for all the drinkers of whiskey in Europe and Canada.
By JohnRawls
Albert wrote:Canada already announced retaliation. It is allover the news here.

They are talking about whiskey and stuff, imposing tariffs on Kentucky whisky or something. So to bad for all the drinkers of whiskey in Europe and Canada.

Good, good. Kentucky whisky, a republican state. Put more hurt on R states and funding ;)
By Decky
Who the hell drinks American "whisky" anyway? There are these countries called Scotland and Ireland that you might have heard of, why drink some swill made by a redneck in his mother's bathtub instead of the real thing?
By Albert
JohnRawls wrote:Good, good. Kentucky whisky, a republican state. Put more hurt on R states and funding ;)
I've read that retaliation tariffs will be designed exactly with that purpose in mind, to hit Republican stronghold states and regions in USA.

Justin Trudeau using extremely strong language by Canadian standards.
By Stormsmith
Decky wrote:Who the hell drinks American "whisky" anyway? There are these countries called Scotland and Ireland that you might have heard of, why drink some swill made by a redneck in his mother's bathtub instead of the real thing?

Truth. Scottish or Canadian. Sooooo, as for me, I won't buy sweet Fanny Adams if it's made in America, or even if it's made in Canada and produced/resold thru an American company. That includes Walmart and McDonald's.
By Godstud
USA is shooting itself in the foot by trying to adhere to Trump's idiotic ideas.

"We have to believe that at some point common sense will prevail" - PM Trudeau.

Not in THIS Presidency!!! USA! USA1 USA! :lol:

:knife:
Last edited by Godstud on 01 Jun 2018 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
By Rancid
I just hope that whatever damage this does, can be mitigated in the longer term. :hmm:

I thought conservatives were all about "LET THE MARKET DECIDE!!! FREE TRADE!!"
By Hong Wu
Dow Jones is down 1%, S&P 500 is down 0.69%. So far this has not even created grounds for a significant market correction. The EU isn't going to do anything to stress their economy with half its members considering leaving.
By Potemkin
Rancid wrote:I just hope that whatever damage this does, can be mitigated in the longer term. :hmm:

I thought conservatives were all about "LET THE MARKET DECIDE!!! FREE TRADE!!"

There's more than one kind of 'conservatism', Rancito. For most of the 20th century, the free-marketeer conservatives have managed to carry the populist and evangelical conservatives along for the ride, but over the past decade or so they have begun to part company. The populist and evangelical conservatives have no ideological commitment to free markets, and gain their support from different demographic groups compared to the free-market conservatives.
By Verv
It should be noted that there was a trend of increasing 'barriers to free trade' throughout the end of the 2000s and beginnings of the 2010s. This was nothing as blatant as tarriffs but it was lots of regulations that impacted the amount of free trade taht could occur.

This is really just the fulfillment of trends that have been on-going.

I also recollect reading the free trade deals that the US had signed with South Korea and other nations years & years ago. They were honestly ridiculous terms that provided no benefit for the US but maintained the trade deficits. It really felt like nobody was seriously interested in making the best possible deal. And that seemed to have been the norm.

Perhaps somebody can prove me wrong, but I am inclined to believe that the direction that Pres. Trump has taken us in the realm of trade, that acutally puts America first, was the proper one.
By Rugoz
Verv wrote:I also recollect reading the free trade deals that the US had signed with South Korea and other nations years & years ago. They were honestly ridiculous terms that provided no benefit for the US but maintained the trade deficits. It really felt like nobody was seriously interested in making the best possible deal. And that seemed to have been the norm.

Perhaps somebody can prove me wrong, but I am inclined to believe that the direction that Pres. Trump has taken us in the realm of trade, that acutally puts America first, was the proper one.

First of all, South Korea was exempted, instead Trump slapped tariffs on Canada and Europe, however both have equal or lower tariffs than the US:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/TM ... 6&view=bar

In fact Canada and Europe would be Trump's main allies in a fight for "fair trade" (we all know Trump doesn't give a flying shit about fair trade).

As for the trade deficit (more appropriately called current account deficit). Every economist will tell you that tariffs are an inadequate tool to deal with it*. First of all, tariffs would have to be applied across the board, on all products from all countries, because the deficit with an individual country is a meaningless figure. Second, import tariffs will strenghten the dollar relative to other currencies, thus make exports more expensive, at least partially reversing the effect on the deficit.

*Even assuming that other countries won't retaliate, which they will.

There's a simple reason for the current account deficit. America saves very little, the rest of the world saves a lot. The savings from the rest of the world flow into the US, equalizing returns, appreciating the dollar, making American exports less competitive. Consequently the cure is obvious too. Save more, spend less or reduce capital inflow and demand for dollars by other means (which will lead to higher interest rates).

@FiveofSwords Apropos the potato ... Why do […]

Back then, it was the flowers that were harvested[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Is Israel a “settler colonial” state? That ch[…]

Maybe the problem is that you're still gay, Agent […]