Is the United States and China on the road to War? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Godstud wrote:No, I am pretty sure that war with China will never happen.

I think it is unlikely also. However, if it happens, it will be because we come to the aid of India. I believe this is the most dangerous situation. China’s Western borders are the crucial areas to watch in the near future.
China will wage economic war on the USA, but they will never come to armed conflict with each other. There's simply a huge ocean between the two, and there would be too much death and destruction. Both are also nuclear superpowers, which makes it even less likely.
Either way trade war isnt war.

There is absolutely nothing that forces you to put up tariffs if another country puts up tariffs.

On the contrary I would argue that putting up tariffs because another country puts them up is mostly childish behavior.

And I would argue that every country should have the right to put up tariffs if they think thats the right thing to do.

The purpose of the nations is to protect the interests of their population and sometimes that requires tariffs.
Negotiator wrote:On the contrary I would argue that putting up tariffs because another country puts them up is mostly childish behavior.
:eh: It's often necessary to demonstrate that you cannot do something without consequences. Isn't this tariff situation because some asshole childishly thinks that China is being unfair?

Tariffs are OK when they benefit you, but when it's on the other foot, you'll cry foul. :lol:

Negotiator wrote:On the contrary I would argue that putting up tariffs because another country puts them up is mostly childish behavior.

And I would argue that every country should have the right to put up tariffs if they think thats the right thing to do.
Beautiful contradiction.

Negotiator wrote:The purpose of the nations is to protect the interests of their population and sometimes that requires tariffs.
Yes, and when others respond with tariffs of their own, then that's just too fucking bad. It's not "childish", but it is retaliatory, and often very necessary.
Godstud wrote: Yes, and when others respond with tariffs of their own, then that's just too fucking bad. It's not "childish", but it is retaliatory, and often very necessary.

Nope it isnt.

For example tariffs on peanut butter for Europe archieve absolutely nothing. Europeans have no tradition of eating peanut butter in the first place. So we can easily live without, thank you very much.

Its a helpless and pointless guesture. You certainly dont protect the interests of your own population this way and you mostly just make the USA laugh about this absurdity.
Negotiator wrote:For example tariffs on peanut butter for Europe archieve absolutely nothing. Europeans have no tradition of eating peanut butter in the first place. So we can easily live without, thank you very much.
It's symbolic. They are also demonstrating that they are willing to use tariffs.

Canada is planning on imposing tariffs on more than 100 US imports, including automotive manufacturing.

Negotiator wrote:Its a helpless and pointless guesture. You certainly dont protect the interests of your own population this way and you mostly just make the USA laugh about this absurdity.
You don't protect your interests by letting another country impose tariffs on your products, either. Were this Canada imposing tariffs(unprovoked, incidentally), I am sure you'd be crying foul.

USA has a very high demand of Canadian softwood lumber. By increasing the tariffs on that, Canada can demonstrate that imposing tariffs on Canadian imports is not beneficial to the USA. The whole point was to make trade fairer for the USA, but that won't be the result.
Negotiator wrote:For example tariffs on peanut butter for Europe archieve absolutely nothing. Europeans have no tradition of eating peanut butter in the first place. So we can easily live without, thank you very much.

In that case, as a punitive action they would seem quite effective. Punishing the supplier, possibly even by making their wares prohibitively expensive; while not excessively harming the domestic consumers, who "can live without the wares, thank you very much."

By contrast, putting tariffs on an essential intermediate good like steel is likely to lead to the increase in the price of everything.

Negotiator wrote:Its a helpless and pointless guesture. You certainly dont protect the interests of your own population this way and you mostly just make the USA laugh about this absurdity.

I don't think the peanut farmers are laughing.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going on[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]